Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Swim bladder problem and soft belly

I'm doing this on my phone and I don't see the form but I'll do my best to remember

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 10ish

Ph: 7.4 tap and tank

55g running for 5 years with 2 fish. Oranda and ranchu. Just the 2 of them for about a year. They get fed sinking pellets every other day. I change the water 25% every other week or more often if my numbers go up but it's a huge tank for 2 small fish so no issues. I have an aqua clear 70 filter.

My tiny ranchu has really had issues from day one. Small little guy that cannot swim well obviously from his swim bladder. He often is floating head down under my plants and when he comes out, is very floaty when he swims... Struggling really. He hasn't grown much at all either. He's been like this for a long time so i know a it's not just a matter of feeding him peas or fasting him so just wondering if there is anything else I can try and do for him.

His tummy is pretty soft. Right between those fins on the very bottom. So i figure infection but since he's been floaty for so long, I assumed he would have died by now if it was an infection. He always looks very bloated too .

Thanks for any help

Well, if it‘s an infection, you should buy a swim bladder infection treatment. You cal also feed your goldfish a little spinach,kale or lettuce and see if that helps. Good luck!

Well, if its an infection, you should buy a swim bladder infection treatment. You cal also feed your goldfish a little spinach,kale or lettuce and see if that helps. Good luck!

I know you want to help, but please read the D&D rules. :)

There also isnt a medication for a defective swim bladder, unfortunately. But it is possible to help the fish be more comfortable.

I'm sorry he's not feeling well Thea :hug what foods are you feeding at the moment?

Thea, has the belly always been soft/round? Is the floatiness consistent or does it come and go (are there ever times he is not floaty)?

Are you certain he is a he? It's hard to tell from the video, but I'm actually wondering if he is a she just based on the pectorals.

Can you move him to a smaller QT tank? (it would be nice to see how a shallow tank effects things, but also to separate him in case we want to try some treatment)

Do you have MMs on hand by chance?

Tonight is honestly the first night I've checked the stomach. He was floaty from day one so I just figured it was who he was.

To be completely honest, I haven't been the fish owner I use to be. I change their water consistently but besides that, I got so burnt out from the hobby after losing so many so easily when I was doing my best with them. I actually lost most of

Them after they became sinkers and then eventually caught something secondary. Ever since then... I just too exhausted from constantly monitoring them and over analyzing.

He definitely could be a she. My other one has been chasing him or her around but I thought it could be him getting picked on, especially if he is ill.

Always floaty; pretty much since November when I got him. They only get small sinking pellets

I don't have metro meds anymore.

It could be bullying, but if it is a female, the soft round belly can also be because of eggs.

I understand feeling burnt out, especially when floaters/sinkers are involved...it's pretty awful to deal with.

Well, if you've already tried dietary changes etc and feel that's not the root cause, you could try out a round of MMs, but I'm honestly not sure that it would do much. From what you describe it sounds like this is likely something structural, as opposed to an illness going on, considering it has been this way consistently for as long as you can remember, and there are no other behavioral changes. I honestly might try out a lower water level if you have a smaller tank available to you and just see if it makes any difference.

Hopefully others will share any added input if they have any ;)

Thanks tithra, maybe I'll try feeding them just veggies for a few days and just see if it improves at all. Are peas still considered the best bet cleaning them out?

I have a 30g somewhere but I believe that it's just as deep as the 50g. Hmmm. If he was my only I would get him a 20 but I don't wanna do separate tanks for them

And probably not worth purchasing the metro meds. They always expire by the next time I want to use them again.

Thanks tithra, maybe I'll try feeding them just veggies for a few days and just see if it improves at all. Are peas still considered the best bet cleaning them out?

I have a 30g somewhere but I believe that it's just as deep as the 50g. Hmmm. If he was my only I would get him a 20 but I don't wanna do separate tanks for them

Peas are fine, but if you have spinach it green beans it may be a better choice ;)

You could always lower the water level on the 30 and use some filter padding hanging out of the filter to decrease the splash, this is what I've done for floaty fish in the past, I can dredge up a video of what this looks like if needed.