Sign in to follow this  
Niiku

New dwarf gourami, excessive glass surfing?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0.0
    • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0.0
    • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0.0 (Gonna just say 0, it's only been a day since he came home and the reading didn't really pick up anything. It's probably marginally more than 0 but you know what I'm trying to say here haha.)
    • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0.0
    • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0.0
    • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0.0
    • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    • Tank information:Affected fish information:
      • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API master kit
      • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) Tetra Whisper Internal 10-30
      • * Additives and conditioners: Prime
      • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): Stays steady around 80
      • * Last water change date: Just filled it up yesterday/
      • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 10 gallons
      • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 1 male dwarf gourami, 2 inches long
      • *What is your water change schedule? Like how much and how often? I plan on doing 100% changes once a week or once every other week, as necessary depending on water perams.
      • * Any new fish added into the tank: Just this guy.
      • -If Yes: Were they quarantined? --
      • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): --
      • * List prior health issues in tank: New tank.
      • * Medications previously added to the tank: None.
      • * Medications on hand: Epsom Salt, Maracyn 2, PraziPro, Salt
      • * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: I plan on feeding him a mix of Ocean Nutrition Formula Two pellets and Aqueon betta pellets mixed with weekly bloodworm treats.
      • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: Nearly constant glass surfing across the back of the tank.
      • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: No, the fish looks great, brightly colored, bright clear eyes and fins all intact and looking great. Tank is new, but the filter is seeded with cycled media. Since I literally started the tank yesterday, no nitrates have shown up yet but he's a very little fish and doesn't make a ton of waste so I figure that's to be expected.
      • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: Main tank, but he's the only fish so it might as well be a quarantine tank.
      • * Current medications being used on affected fish: None.
      • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: None.
      • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken: None.
      • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. My camera's video capability doesn't work right, but there's nothing visible to see. He just goes back and forth over and over for hours.

Okay so I might just be a worry-wart but I figure it's better to be safe and just ask, rather than wait for him to get potentially sick or something. So yes, as you read above this is a brand new tank but it has cycled filter media in it, no nitrates are showing yet but it's literally been 24 hours since I brought him home and it takes a while before such a small fish makes enough waste to show it.

Anyway he's just constantly glass-surfing along the back and I'm wondering if this is normal adjustment-period behavior for dwarf gouramis in a new home? He didn't do anything like this at the store.

Do you know if he was bred or WC? I know koi or goldfish from ponds that I've seen transferred to tanks, even if the tanks are large, glass surf like crazy. I also had one extremely "sharky" male ryukin once who did a lot of glass surfing. I assume he could see a semblance of his reflection and was getting all "wanna go bro!?" at it.

By no means a diagnosis but some weird fish behaviour I've seen that might help you breathe easy until a mod arrives to further assist.

I would think it may be just from the new environment. Is there any decor in the tank? He may need something to investigate or perhaps a tankmate. I have had fish do this for a week or more. How was he in the store?

I've got a jungle of silk plants in there, including some floaters as I've read dwarf gouramis like that. He was pretty chill at the store, chased the other gouramis a little but mostly cruised around looking for food. Nothing as frantic looking as the behavior I'm seeing now though.

He's still doing this today, I've tried switching the background and turning off the light and nothing helps. It's really stressing me out, I'm thinking about returning him tomorrow and getting something calmer.

Is that tank his forever home or a QT tank?

From the sounds of it the fish seems stressed due to a lack of stimuli. One silk plant will clearly not cut it.

I add a small, but for him big enough cave. A small, sideways laying flower pot, some rocks, maybe a few real plants like anubias or at least a couple more silk plants. If it is the forever home, then possibly some tank mates like two or three platys (same sex!!!!) just to keep the tank a little bit busier and more interesting for him.

There are tons of silk plants and hiding spots in there, not just one, and yes this was intended as the forever home. All the research I did lead me to believe he'd be ok on his own, I just think the glass might be too reflective in this tank because he just won't leave his reflection alone. He never swam around to investigate anything, just went straight for his reflection and didn't stop attacking it for days, even after I moved stuff around to cover more of the tank walls, he'd still find a bit of reflection and go for it.

Edited by Niiku

I would give him a few more days to get settled in. It's up to you though. I have had danios that did this and never bought another one because of it. I understand the frustration. Fish are supposed to be stress relievers. If you like the look of him, maybe just try a different one. They all have different personalities.

Also, have you tried putting the plants across the back of the tank to take away the swimming room across the glass?

I have tried that, yeah. The little bugger would shove himself between the plants and attack the glass in one spot, or find some other spot with more access for him to zip back and forth and attack.

I'm definitely giving some thought to picking up a couple platys or swordtails after work rather than returning him, to see if the stimuli of herding tankmates around will distract him.

You could paint the back of the tank black and or the sides too, to create a more "secure" feeling

I've tried all sorts of background coverings, from shiny to matte and plain black fabric covering the sides as well, nothing changed.

My boyfriend asked me if a small school of neon tetras would be compatable with the gourami? Just exploring my options for tankmates right now. :)

Peaceful, by nature, Gouramis are an excellent addition to any community aquarium with fish of like temperament and size. Dwarf varieties only reach 2" in size. Though territorial at times, many Dwarf Gouramis do best when kept in groups, provided there are more females than males.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+882+2687&pcatid=2687

Dwarf Gouramis are well suited to smaller aquariums, as well as community aquariums due to their peaceful nature. They should not be kept with very large or aggressive fish. Provide plenty of vegetation, including floating plants that cover part of the surface of the water. The optimum pH is in the neutral range, and water hardness should be 4-10 dGH.. The ideal water temperature is 77 F (25 C). Dwarf Gouramis can be skittish when subjected to noise, and should be kept in a quiet location.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anabantids2/p/dwarfgourami.htm

Thank you Koko! I am definitely making a visit to the LFS after work today to check out the following possibilities for tankmates:

A female dwarf gourami, or a small school of neons, or a couple of platys. NOT ALL OF THEM, just one of those options. I'm hoping to just find him a female friend.

I know this is off topic, but I'd like to see your gourami! They are fasinating to me

I know this is off topic, but I'd like to see your gourami! They are fasinating to me

:thumbup2:

I ultimately decided to return him to the store, as the only trustworthy LFS near me didn't have any good tankmates for him, nor did they have any females. No worries though, he'll still be well cared for. The employees there are super good with their fish.

My boyfriend and I picked out a male and two female mollies for the 10 gallon for now. We fully understand they will outgrow it (the male at least is a sailfin) but we are going to get them either a 20 or 30 gallon tank when Petco does their next dollar per gallon sale!

I'll make a separate thread to introduce the mollies once I get some good pictures of them.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.