Sign in to follow this  
Ardor12

Oranda with squarish, bloated belly. No raised scales

Yep! A water change was priority #1 when I saw it came off. :D

I agree with Lisa, looks like it was probably some gunk getting released from a cyst. Hopefully the mms will arrive in the next couple days! I'm glad to hear she is still behaving normal.

MMs arrived today! I found them as I was running out the door to leave, but I'll see about getting her started on them as soon as I'm back.

Did you ever get a scale? If so, please let us know her weight. If not, please let us know her length--nose to peduncle (do not include tail). :D

Hooray for mms!

I never was able to get a digital scale that read small enough to measure her. Walmart only had a large one. I even tried borrowing a mechanical kitchen scale, but that wasn't consistent and didn't tell me much. I just moved to a town of less than 400 people for a teaching job about 3 months ago. There aren't a whole lot of stores around here that sell that sort of thing. I did measure her though and she is 2.2 inches.

I gave her the first dose of MMs yesterday evening and she ate it right up, but today she is on the bottom of the tank just letting the water push her around. She isn't eating anything and only gives a little wiggle when nudged. :(

I'll try to figure out an estimate on how many mms to feed when I get home tonight. That measure is excluding tail right?

Could you post an updated video of her behavior? If she is getting pushed around by the filter you may need to reduce the flow somehow or stop the filter and just run an air stone and do daily water changes

Sorry for the delayed response, assuming your measurement is excluding tail you should feed about 12 pellets daily

Thank you so much to everyone who posted on this board. It means so much that so many people were thinking well of little Florence.

Sadly, I had to make the decision to put her down on Thursday. A few hours after my last post I went to check on Florence and found her belly-up, struggling to breath and swim. She was listless and nearly lifeless and I couldn't let her suffer any more. It is a consolation that I do believe her suffering was short-lived. Up until that day she was as happy and friendly as ever, but the stress of what happened to her was too much.

As my fiance helped me lift her body out of the tuperware she was euthanized in he put his thumb gently against her side and more puss ruptured from her right side. She had cysts on both sides of her body.

I still don't know the cause of her illness and I'm keeping a desperately close eye on my two remaining goldies. I'm so heartbroken by her death. Once again, thank you so much to those of you who helped me through this and to those of you who were rooting her on. I cannot express my gratitude enough.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(:hug

:( :( I'm so sorry

I'm so very sorry for your loss. She was very lucky to have you as a caregiver. :k055:

Rest in peace, Florence. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been following this thread, and was hoping your baby would pull through.

That's really scary that she had such large cysts on both sides of her body. I wonder what it could have been caused by. Mario's first redcap oranda, from 2 years ago, had something that caused her wen to expand rapidly within a week. He came home one day and her eye was gone. A couple days later, her wen had come off completely and she had died, with white, fluffy tissue covering her head. I don't know if it was a cyst or what, but ever since then I've been wondering what could have happened to her. It was just so weird and tragic. I did a lot of research, but found nothing.