Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Water lettuce catastrophe

I added 2 water lettuce a week and a half ago because I was hoping spawning would occur again. No spawning happened, but the water lettuce roots have fallen off all over the tank, probably from the 1:19 bleach dip. At first this was no big deal because the pieces were big enough that I could fish them out, but now they are everywhere and are in small pieces too soft to grab. The worst part is that they've gotten into the filter and slowed the flow down considerably. (I have an API Filstar canister.) It's a complete mess, but fortunately the filter is still running fine; the current just isn't as strong as usual when I put my hand up to it.

I tested my water and there is a very very slight amount of ammonia (below 0.25 ppm, but slightly more greenish than the 0) - probably from the dead roots? I added Ultimate to bind it up. I am not seeing any strange behavior from my fish. Nitrite and nitrate were both 0, and pH was 8.1 (these 3 are normal for my tank).

I am planning to do a big water change and rinse my filter media (already rinsed the intake, but I imagine it'll be covered in roots again soon). However, the filter tubing is also dirty now as a result of the water lettuce roots. How do I clean the tubes? I cannot remove them as they are clamped on as tightly as possible. I'm imagining knotting a bunch of paper towels together and twisting them to fit down the tubes haha, but if there's a better way please let me know ... :) Is there anything else I should be doing to fix this?

Do you think it would work to use these brushed that come to clean the inside of a turkey baster?

9230-DEFAULT-m.jpg

To remove the clamps, you just need to push one half up and one half down. It should slide them right apart, but you may need the help of a pair of pliers. :) It will help you get practice for when you need to take the tubing off during your filter cleaning maintenance.

Edited by ChelseaM

Do you think it would work to use these brushed that come to clean the inside of a turkey baster?

9230-DEFAULT-m.jpg

I vote for the little scrubber, if it fits.

It would work well when cleaning the ridiculously small crevices of my kids baby bottles when they were younger, and cheap too.

Too bad that happened.

Good luck :)

9230-DEFAULT-m.jpg

I should have mentioned that the tubing is like 2 1/2 feet long, and quite thick ... I don't think any brush would be that long, but it sounds like it would be perfect otherwise. I'll try Chelsea's suggestion of removing the clamps first, since she has the same filter as I do. It would be awesome if the tubing could be removed completely; that way I could carry it over to the sink and rinse it. I like how the tubing is clear on this filter - lets me know when it's dirty!

I would try running hot water through them. that may flush out the grime stuck to the inside of the tubing. :idont Could't hurt to try, as long as you don't stretch out the tube so it is too big for the barbed fitting.

Very frustrated right now. I took my whole filter apart and there is now way I can see to clean the hoses. Even the website just says to buy new ones when they get dirty.

I tried paper towels, rags, etc. but nothing is long enough to reach through the hoses, and everything I tried just gets scrunched up halfway through. Rinsing them with water does absolutely nothing; the water just goes right past the sludge.

Any other ideas for something that might be long enough? Oerba, the cleaner you suggested would be absolutely perfect, but my hoses are about 2 feet long ...

Or, if you had a short one already, attach a piece of string (3-4ft) to the handle, drop the string down the tube (using water to push it along if necessary) and then pull the string as to pull the brush along the inside of the tube. That way you can avoid buying anything.

Are you able to get to a hose? I usually just blast hot water through them or use my parents' hose to spray them out.

Are you able to get to a hose? I usually just blast hot water through them or use my parents' hose to spray them out.

How do you get hot water from a hose?

How do you get hot water from a hose?
"Or"

I don't have a hose or a cleaning brush, unfortunately. I am going to order some replacement tubing and a hose. Fortunately though, I don't think it was the tubing that was causing the slow flow - it was the filter itself. I found water lettuce roots all the way down at the bottom ... yikes! After cleaning it out, now my filter is running great. :)

I don't have a hose or a cleaning brush, unfortunately. I am going to order some replacement tubing and a hose. Fortunately though, I don't think it was the tubing that was causing the slow flow - it was the filter itself. I found water lettuce roots all the way down at the bottom ... yikes! After cleaning it out, now my filter is running great. :)

Glad to hear it all worked out! You've been working really hard and it would've been a bummer to see your filter go shot.

I'm debating purchasing 2 or 3 water lettuce or hyacinth for the 55 later this week and was wondering if you had any tips, or how the clearance from water to lid worked out for you? Did you have to drop the water line a few inches? you've seen my set up, I'm debating how to manage floating plants with the versa panels on top. I can't remove them because of the fixture. I think I'll end up losing some water volume

Glad to hear it all worked out! You've been working really hard and it would've been a bummer to see your filter go shot.

I'm debating purchasing 2 or 3 water lettuce or hyacinth for the 55 later this week and was wondering if you had any tips, or how the clearance from water to lid worked out for you? Did you have to drop the water line a few inches? you've seen my set up, I'm debating how to manage floating plants with the versa panels on top. I can't remove them because of the fixture. I think I'll end up losing some water volume

I'm not sure how your canopy setup is, but mine is a 2-piece. I simply removed the front piece and left the back one in place to protect the LED. I'll add some pics below.

If yours is different, you still probably won't have to lower the water level that much, if at all. The floating parts are just pushed down into the water a bit if under a canopy.

I hope you have better luck with the water lettuce than I did. I think the bleach did them in for me - but I had to bleach them because they were in the cesspool that is the pond at my local garden store. :rofl

3adyjysy.jpg

4ybydy4a.jpg

How weird. I just found out water lettuce is illegal here in California. Not sure how my garden store got a hold of it!

Amanda, I'm gonna have to place you under e-citizen's arrest. It's like citizens arrest, but over the internet.

How weird. I just found out water lettuce is illegal here in California. Not sure how my garden store got a hold of it!

It's not very surprising you were able to buy it. There are a few plants and snails that are illegal here, but they're still readily available.

If the tubing is like python tubing, Jess did a review on I think it's called magfox? I would into it :). Im thinking of buying one myself! And yes, hoses CAN slow down the flow at least in mine it can (SUNSUN 304-hb) I cleaned it all except the hoses and I was like why is there still such little flow!? Them I took my hosing and everything apart and cleaned it with a flexible metal brush I got at my LFS. My tubes aren't terribly long, so I get what I can get and then what's left, I take one end (pointed AWAY from me) and put the cleaning what into the tube. I then fill it with water and blow on the one end until the brush comes out ten other. I have to fill the tube and then blow a few times, but it gets the tubes clean. It's getting annoying now that the brush is all worn down, so the magfox is probably what I will be getting.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23699

Edited by Mikey

! No fun! Glad you seem to have it figured out now though... and hopefully it will stop shedding!

Can I ask what is the VERY tall stemmy plant on the right? Anubias?

I want it! I cant find tall plants for my tank :(

And I have done the rag on a string trick for my tubes once since having my sunsun. Kind of a pain in the rear, but got the job done!

! No fun! Glad you seem to have it figured out now though... and hopefully it will stop shedding!

And I have done the rag on a string trick for my tubes once since having my sunsun. Kind of a pain in the rear, but got the job done!

I think she's got two Swords in there, the big one looks like a less purple version of my melon Swords. If you have a pet chain store near you its one of their most common plants so hopefully yours will have one :)

And whaaaa? Illegal? Weird. Here we have a huge problem with algae blooms, I'm sure Ontario would love some more water lettuce haha.

And my panels are versa brand, two piece and very similar to yours but no bow front obviously. Mine are permanently attached by a black flexing hinge and if folding them in half under just the fixture won't push it up off the tank rim I think I'll do that.

It is a rose sword mother plant from aquariumplants.com. Check out the plants labeled "XL," "XXL" or "mother plant" on that site. They're more expensive but well worth it. I got frustrated by the lack of big plants available, too, and was very impressed with the quality I received from this site. I would recommend getting 2-day shipping; it's like $13 if you spend $50 (and they carry ferts and stuff too). The plants arrived much healthier than the ones I received by ground shipping from another site.

I ended up just taking the water lettuce out. I looked up photos of it online and apparently mine was dying when I bought it. The leaves were all yellow and brown instead of green!

Edited by *Amanda*

Jungle val gets quite tall.

I think she's got two Swords in there, the big one looks like a less purple version of my melon Swords. If you have a pet chain store near you its one of their most common plants so hopefully yours will have one :)

And whaaaa? Illegal? Weird. Here we have a huge problem with algae blooms, I'm sure Ontario would love some more water lettuce haha.

And my panels are versa brand, two piece and very similar to yours but no bow front obviously. Mine are permanently attached by a black flexing hinge and if folding them in half under just the fixture won't push it up off the tank rim I think I'll do that.

It probably competes with some other species or interferes with the environment in some way. California is famous for banning plant and animal species for this reason - I remember back in the 90s there was all this controversy because they wouldn't allow construction near a salamander's habitat. All the more conservative states made fun of us, haha. So, the water lettuce might have something to do with that. Although I'm not sure why the dojo loach is allowed here when it's banned in most other states ...

Not to mention everything is found to cause cancer by the state of California. :rofl