Sign in to follow this  
andry6

I don't think one of my new little guys is doing very good...

We got two little "feeder" fish three weeks ago. They were doing great until yesterday. One of them is bottom sitting, top fin clamped and he just sits himself inside of the plant that I have in the QT tank. I just finished round 4 of prazipro and salt and my water parameters are good. I'm not sure if he's having a reaction to the prazipro or if he could be sick.

He darts around the tank when I come near, he's eating and pooping, but he still has me worried.

oops...I forgot this:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.6 kh 6, gh 6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)ph 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api master test kit - drops
    • * Water temperature? 72 F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 12 gal. 3 weeks
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra whisper 30 and air stone
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? followed prazipro treatment schedule for WC and changed 100% with each WC
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 total - both 3 grams (comet/common)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and replenish (we have a water softener)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari purple pellets, repashi soilent green, omega one frozen blood worms
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? just finished 4th round of prazipro and salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. followed treatment schedule for prazipro and salt given on this site
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting and clamped fins, sitting in plant
Edited by andry6

I would think if your fish were having a reaction to the prazi it would have happened much sooner. I'm sorry they aren't doing well right now. What other kinds of meds do you have on hand in case a Mod should suggest it to you? (or you might have to pick up something)

I don't have any :'(

I've never needed them

Edited to say that the other fish is acting totally normal.

Edited by andry6

It's possible that the fish has developed a secondary bacterial infection from micro tears that the dying Flukes have left behind. I would recommend ordering some Metro Meds from www.goldfishconnection.com and/or picking up some Metronidazole and Kanaplex powders from your LFS.

Edited by jmetzger72

I agree with Jared.

Is he eating? have you seen any poo? :idont

What were the water parameters before the water change? I assume the tank is not cycled?

The tank is cycled. She transferred a filter from her main tank and watched the parameters closely. Her main tank has also been prazied. :)

Ok, I ordered the metro-meds and ill get the other from my LFS tomorrow.

Yes, he is eating and I watched him poo. Looks normal, and is the color of his food.

The water parameters are always the same. I do believe that the tank is cycled because even after 5 days with no water change there is no ammonia. The filter is from a cycled tank.

And, Lisa, this is the same fish who got his fins & tail eaten by the other fish...if that makes a difference

The tank is cycled. She transferred a filter from her main tank and watched the parameters closely. Her main tank has also been prazied. :)

I must have been typing when you posted this :teehee

The big chain stores won't have the powdered metro or kana. If you have a good locally owned pet store, try calling them first. :)

Christine, a little bird told me that either erythromycin OR tri sulfa could be used instead of the powdered metro and kana. You should be able to find the erythromycin or tri sulfa at a Petsmart. :)

One or the other is needed, not both.

Christine, a little bird told me that either erythromycin OR tri sulfa could be used instead of the powdered metro and kana. You should be able to find the erythromycin or tri sulfa at a Petsmart. :)

One or the other is needed, not both.

Ok, I'll get that today.

Where do I go from here? :idont

Do I treat with the erythromycin (or tri sulfa, whichever I find) and then start metro meds too once they arrive?

Do I need to start another QT tank for this guy or just treat both fish in the current QT?

Start with whichever med you find today of the 2 meds. If it's working, we will most likely stick with a full course of that and hold off on the MMs. (They are great to have on hand so I hope you don't feel like you wasted money. If I could only have one med on hand at all times, that would be it. Having it on hand when it's truly needed is lifesaving. :D )

You will want to QT him in an uncycled QT as the waterborne antibiotics will affect your cycle. A 10 gal QT will be easiest as I believe the dosage packets are for a 10 gallon tank . . .

Hope they feel better.

Start with whichever med you find today of the 2 meds. If it's working, we will most likely stick with a full course of that and hold off on the MMs. (They are great to have on hand so I hope you don't feel like you wasted money. If I could only have one med on hand at all times, that would be it. Having it on hand when it's truly needed is lifesaving. :D )

You will want to QT him in an uncycled QT as the waterborne antibiotics will affect your cycle. A 10 gal QT will be easiest as I believe the dosage packets are for a 10 gallon tank . . .

Ok. I'm on it! :thumb:

Thank you! :) I'll keep you posted.

One more quick question...should I treat the other fish too just in case?

I'm sorry your little guy isn't doing well :'( Feeder tanks are full of all sorts of nasty stuff, unfortunately... I hope your other fishy stays ok. Best of luck!

If your other fish isn't showing any symptoms, I wouldn't treat at this point. He might not have had as heavy of a fluke infestation and/or his immune system is stronger and fighting any bacterial infection on it's own.

Well I did manage to get the API E.M. Erythromycin from Petsmart for "Sunrise". After a long day of running around with the kids, I came home to the other little guy, Sushi, bottom sitting now. His fins are up, but he just sits there. I put some food in the tank before I left and they didn't touch it. :no:

I am amazed on how quickly Sushi's behavior changed. Yesterday he was fine. It was almost like he would go over to Sunrise and nudge him like he knew he was sick. And now, in a matter of hours, he is acting sick. :ill He seemed fine this morning. :no:

I now have both of them in a brand new 10 gallon, unfiltered, uncycled QT, treated with prime and replenish and put in 1 packet of the erythromycin.

Now the waiting game begins, I guess.

:). I'd give them a day before I tried feeding them again then make it something they can't resist. :Scoff:

:). I'd give them a day before I tried feeding them again then make it something they can't resist. :Scoff:

And don't panic even if they don't eat the next day. Goldfish can fast (when necessary) for up to a week, or more. So, we hope that the medicine will take effect and allow them to regain their appetites sooner rather than later. :)

:krazy: I swear I'm going to go crazy with these two fish! :krazy:

Today Sushi appears to be doing much better. So much so that he is back to biting Sunrise's fins again. :mad:

Sushi is the one that was bottom sitting yesterday but no clamped fins so I decided to put him in the hospital tank with Sunrise.

Sunrise is still bottom sitting with clamped fins. He swims around (darts, actually) for a brief period and then sinks back down to the bottom. He doesn't even move when Sushi is eating his fin. I can't tell how much of his dorsal fin he has left because it's still clamped but it doesn't look like much. :cry

Both are interested in food; Sushi more than Sunrise.

So, the bad little fishy is out of the hospital tank and back in the QT. I had no choice. :bat: I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on him for symptoms.

Hopefully after the next two days and the final two doses Sunrise will improve. If not, what do I do next?

You have MMs on order, right? :idont

Yes. I hope they arrive soon.

No real improvement. Fin still somewhat clamped and complete bottom sitting, unless I put my hand in the tank, then he darts around only to sit again. :(

And his dorsal fin is almost completely eaten off. I'm so upset about this poor little guy.