Sign in to follow this  
Valerie Fowler

Zoom the bully. :(

Noticed recently that Zoom, my calico fantail, has started chasing all of the other fantails around the 55 gallon tank and nipping at their tails. Nobody's gotten injured yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time. Is there anything that would bring this behavior on?

Is it breeding behavior? It's hard to tell without actually seeing it, but breeding behavior can get pretty rough at times.

I thought breeding behavior was chasing the fish around by the butt. He just tries to nip their tails. Same thing maybe? Hmm.

I know many aggressive breeders sometimes will develop a habit of nipping the fins of the female fish. I agree with Chelsea that a video of this behavior will help us. ;)

Hashi has been a serious fin nipper a few times in the past. I've had to separate him a couple times because he ate Edie's tail down so much. How does the tail of the fish being nipped look?

I'm glad he's not being nipped all the time. I hope everything will be okay with all of your fish.

None of the tails look like they've taken any damage yet, surprisingly. The other fish are pretty good at getting away lol

Are the tails of the chased fish somewhat red-ish or more obvious veins? Basically just lightly irritated, BEFORE the chasing?

Sometimes certain fish seem to like the taste of "bloody fins", and they will start nipping like crazy.

Are the tails of the chased fish somewhat red-ish or more obvious veins? Basically just lightly irritated, BEFORE the chasing?

Sometimes certain fish seem to like the taste of "bloody fins", and they will start nipping like crazy.

Yeah, I was also wondering if there was something up with the fins before nipping started.

It's weird, he pretty much stopped the behavior. No idea what brought it on in the first place, and nobody was hurt. Those fishes, man. They crazy!

Sin Bin! :rofl

Seriously, I had a fish who did this nonstop. She was the smallest fish in the tank and was pestering the others nonstop. I put her in a floating colander overnight and when I let her out the next morning, she no longer had any interest in repeating the behavior. Muahaha.