Seachem Safe: make the switch! :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a prime girl too... I have most of my gallon and a bottle left. (They are the same concentration, right?)

.... because I AM LAZY.

Any Prime should have the same concentration no matter its bottle size :)

I can tell you for sure that I won't be using it! I have been using Vitamin C for dechlorination, which is very cheap, but as with Safe, you have to prepare it just before use -- no stock solution. I carefully calculated how to make the solution that allowed me to use the same volume of C solution as I did my diluted Prime, but I never felt comfortable with it. There are just too many opportunities for errors, and if there is even one, I will find it. (You wouldn't believe how many ways I have found to screw up making a pot of coffee in the morning.) If I could find 100 mg tablets of Vitamin C, it would be easy enough, but they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Then I decided to try powdered prazi instead of Prazipro (~half the price). OMG the pain of shaking a quart bottle for 3-5 minutes, and the frustration of finding that it still isn't in suspension. I've been trying to get myself to do a second round for 3 weeks.

Has anyone asked Seachem if they would sell you a scoop?

Sharon, I too made the switch from PraziPro to Aqua Prazi, and I am really happy I did! I was able to dissolve the 0.1 g I needed for my 10 gal using two drops of vodka - just enough to get it to go into solution - per Cynthia at ECR's recommendation on her site as well as many other sources I came across while researching this issue. I first weighed out the 0.1 g doses (one for each day, with a daily 100% water change in QT) and put each day's dose into a separate small plastic bag. Immediately prior to dosage, I added the two drops of ethanol directly to the bag using an eye dropper, and squished it around in the bag until all the praziquantel dissolved. I then added tank water, and squished some more, before adding to the tank. It worked like a charm. The rationale is that praziquantel is only very slightly soluble in water, but freely soluble in ethanol, according to its monograph on the WHO site (http://apps.who.int/phint/en/p/docf/). I would be concerned that the fish might not get the full benefit of the treatment if the praziquantel did not dissolve and just fell to the bottom of the tank.

I believe my fish also reacted better to the pure praziquantel powder. I treated the same fish who I believe had a poor reaction to PraziPro six months prior, and she showed no signs of discomfort. (Of course, the symptoms from six months ago - mainly bottom sitting - could have also been be attributable to something else going on with her at the time, but after reading other people's accounts of apparent fish discomfort with PraziPro, I believe it may have been this, possibly due to one of its inert ingredients - but this is only speculation based on my observations.)

And I think Prime smells bad! I have to hold the bottle at an arms length when I open it! I'm also glad that they simplified the directions. I've always been interested in Safe. Thanks for the awesome thread, Jess!

I use Ultimate, made by Aquarium Solutions/distributed by Hikari. It too removes chlorine and chloramines and binds ammonia. Judging by my calculations, it's a bit more expensive than Prime when taking into account the dosage, but it is nearly odorless (and the odor it does have is pleasant), which factors a lot into my decision - my tank is in the living room, and to me Prime smells like rotten eggs. I tried using Prime for awhile, knowing it's a good water conditioner and all, but could not stomach the smell. I returned to Ultimate. :)

And I think Prime smells bad! I have to hold the bottle at an arms length when I open it! I'm also glad that they simplified the directions. I've always been interested in Safe. Thanks for the awesome thread, Jess!

I use Ultimate, made by Aquarium Solutions/distributed by Hikari. It too removes chlorine and chloramines and binds ammonia. Judging by my calculations, it's a bit more expensive than Prime when taking into account the dosage, but it is nearly odorless (and the odor it does have is pleasant), which factors a lot into my decision - my tank is in the living room, and to me Prime smells like rotten eggs. I tried using Prime for awhile, knowing it's a good water conditioner and all, but could not stomach the smell. I returned to Ultimate. :)
I'll look into it. It may be worth it if it smells GOOD!

You have to use 5 times as much Ultimate as Prime, so with the same size bottle, it would have to be 1/5 the price of Prime to be comparable in price..

Yes, it's definitely more expensive than Prime because of that, even though the product is less expensive (half the price for the same quantity at some vendors). I buy it by the gallon, which saves me money, but the main reason is because Prime just smells awful to me. And if I ever spilled Prime on my carpet like I did last week with the Ultimate ... wow, my mom would be upset. :rofl