Fish developing crooked spines!

Let's get some more input on this from the mod team.

Scoliosis can be caused by any number of things. I'm observing that the very high pH reported for the tank has not been retested because the OP ran out of tests. I'd really like to see a repeat test of all parameters with a good drop kit, either by Fish of Gold or a LFS. I don't know about NTD, but mycobacteriosis can be diagnosed by any microbiological laboratory, since the bacterium can infect humans. A veterinarian should be able to help get testing. (You will probably have to sacrifice a fish to do this.)

If you believe this is an incurable disease/parasite condition, the entire tank should be taken down and disinfected then set up bare -- no ornaments, no substrate, all new contents for the disinfected filter. If no other fish get symptoms after a few months, the tank can be redecorated.

I am not at all sure this is a disease condition, since there appear to be no other symptoms (fish with scoliosis don't swim well). While the commercial foods are good quality, cucumber and zucchini are little more than water and cellulose -- nice for something to chew on, but not nutritious. Fish of Gold, I'm not sure what you are saying about weekends. Are you feeding only zucchini and cucumber or are you feeding this in addition to commercial foods?

It is perfectly possible to have a nutritional deficiency while consuming a good diet. Conditions that induce physiological stress, such as an inappropriate pH or temperature, other water problems, overcrowding, etc can increase the requirement for certain nutrients.

Let's get some more input on this from the mod team.

Scoliosis can be caused by any number of things. I'm observing that the very high pH reported for the tank has not been retested because the OP ran out of tests. I'd really like to see a repeat test of all parameters with a good drop kit, either by Fish of Gold or a LFS. I don't know about NTD, but mycobacteriosis can be diagnosed by any microbiological laboratory, since the bacterium can infect humans. A veterinarian should be able to help get testing. (You will probably have to sacrifice a fish to do this.)

If you believe this is an incurable disease/parasite condition, the entire tank should be taken down and disinfected then set up bare -- no ornaments, no substrate, all new contents for the disinfected filter. If no other fish get symptoms after a few months, the tank can be redecorated.

I am not at all sure this is a disease condition, since there appear to be no other symptoms (fish with scoliosis don't swim well). While the commercial foods are good quality, cucumber and zucchini are little more than water and cellulose -- nice for something to chew on, but not nutritious. Fish of Gold, I'm not sure what you are saying about weekends. Are you feeding only zucchini and cucumber or are you feeding this in addition to commercial foods?

It is perfectly possible to have a nutritional deficiency while consuming a good diet. Conditions that induce physiological stress, such as an inappropriate pH or temperature, other water problems, overcrowding, etc can increase the requirement for certain nutrients.

On weekends after the water change is done I feed a slice of Cucumber or Zucchini as a treat. I feed the regular foods as well on weekends also. If it is a nutritional deficiency could it be because I feed mostly flakes? Or not enough at each feeding which is once a day. Or could it be because the food is getting too old? The containers are big so I have had them about 11 months so far. The only fresher foods are the Micro Pellets and the Marineland Algae wafers which are 3 months old now.

I am going to see if I can afford to buy an API Master drops test kit online, I just have to find it where it is inexpensive if I want to get it this month. Otherwise I need to wait till next month, but It would be better to get it now. I will hunt for a kit and compare prices for the near future reference till I can figure out my finances.

http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407544682&sr=8-1&keywords=api+freshwater+master+test+kit

Fish stores will usually test your water at no cost. Just make sure they are giving you the actual numbers, not stuff like "OK, fine, safe, ..."

I think the idea that flakes lack nutrition comes from the fact that lots of cheap low-quality fish food is sold in flake form. What kind of flake food are you feeding? For a given brand of food, the flakes and pellets have essentially identical ingredients. The main difference is that for the same quantity of food, by weight, the flaked food costs several times as much as pellets. I like Omega one flakes for babies and sick fish, but I certainly couldn't afford to feed it as regular food.

Yes old food could be deficient in nutrients, but probably not within a year.

http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407544682&sr=8-1&keywords=api+freshwater+master+test+kit

Fish stores will usually test your water at no cost. Just make sure they are giving you the actual numbers, not stuff like "OK, fine, safe, ..."

I think the idea that flakes lack nutrition comes from the fact that lots of cheap low-quality fish food is sold in flake form. What kind of flake food are you feeding? For a given brand of food, the flakes and pellets have essentially identical ingredients. The main difference is that for the same quantity of food, by weight, the flaked food costs several times as much as pellets. I like Omega one flakes for babies and sick fish, but I certainly couldn't afford to feed it as regular food.

Yes old food could be deficient in nutrients, but probably not within a year.

I feed them Omega One tropical fish flakes. It is the only brand of flakes that they like and I know it is a good brand. That is why I bought my Goldfish the Omega One flakes and Omega One pellets in the goldfish formula as well.

I have just read today that people say flakes loose their nutrients as soon as they get wet in the tank water when you feed them, and that is why pellets are better....So you say flakes are still ok to feed, just that they cost more in the long run than pellets?

I forgot that a pet store can check the water for free. I last did that many years ago so I forgot. But I live far away from the nearest pet store, gas money is an issue because of the gas prices here lately! It is cheaper to buy the test kit online than to buy the gas to get to the pet store LOL! Thanks for the Amazon link! I seen some other places for more money so that is a good deal you found. ;)

I feed them Omega One tropical fish flakes. It is the only brand of flakes that they like and I know it is a good brand. That is why I bought my Goldfish the Omega One flakes and Omega One pellets in the goldfish formula as well.

I have just read today that people say flakes loose their nutrients as soon as they get wet in the tank water when you feed them, and that is why pellets are better....So you say flakes are still ok to feed, just that they cost more in the long run than pellets?

Compare the prices:

Small sinking pellets. 8 oz. $14.79 = $1.85 per oz.

Flakes 5.3 oz. $16.03 = $3.02 per oz.

That's for the largest container of flakes. The smaller containers are even pricier per ounce.

As for the allegations that flakes lose their nutrients in water while pellets don't, I've yet to see one shred of evidence to support that popular internet legend. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, not to mention the fact that nutrients would have to be frantically jumping out of the food as soon as it hit the water to dissolve before the goldfish ate the food.

The Orange Flame Tetra has just died :unsure:

The 2 Zebra Danios are still doing OK. Still swimming like normal and their spines look more strait now, so odd!

The one Zebra Danio keeps chasing the other smaller one now. Probably because they are in a 5 gallon instead of their 30 gallon and there are only 2 in there. Not sure how to stop the other one from bothering the little one :idont

The spines straightening is interesting. I know fish that have scoliosis from electrical shock can recover. Have you checked for stray voltage with a meter?

No not yet. I told my Fiancé about my dilemma and he said he has a volt meter but has to look for it now.

So far none of the other fish in the main tank have developed crooked spines. I look several times a day looking closely, especially at the other Zebra Danios and the last Orange Flame Tetra.

The spines straightening is interesting. I know fish that have scoliosis from electrical shock can recover. Have you checked for stray voltage with a meter?

No not yet. I told my Fiancé about my dilemma and he said he has a volt meter but has to look for it now.

So far none of the other fish in the main tank have developed crooked spines. I look several times a day looking closely, especially at the other Zebra Danios and the last Orange Flame Tetra.

He can not find where he put his volt meter :doh11: So I'll have to buy one I guess :huh:

I ordered some Vita Chem for the tropical fish from Amazon but it was leaking when I got it! I requested either a replacement or a refund but still haven't heard anything back from the seller :idont Ebay seems better to deal with in these situations than with Amazon! :hmm Still haven't received my test kit yet either in the mail :glare: