Sign in to follow this  
Ciedric

New lights for my aquarium

At this time my 100x30x40 tank has one 900mm Interpet tropical daylight of 30 watts. I have no idea how much Kelvin it produces and I think it is a T8 light and I really like the color.

Now I have tried a lot to get rid of the algae in my tank. From a lot of plant food (liquid and tablet) to little, and the same for Flourist Excel. I have tried a lot (12 hours) and low (8 hours) but that does not give the desired result.

The leaves of the plants also have holes and certainly the leaves at the bottom to keep it a long time never full. I even soil plants that grow spontaneously go upwards to tackle light. So I think that light really is my problem.

I prefer to buy a used front circuitry that is directly suitable for two fluorescent tubes so I can plug one socket. Lighting I would be able to purchase any new related the power.
My own system is now a year old.

What do you recommend?

Can we have photos of the tank to see what type of algae it is, please? Different types of algae will be able to be removed by different methods. :)

I have a tan about the same size as yours just a bit bigger and I have two 30 watt T8 bulbs and that allows enough growth for some types of plants and doesn't produce too much algae but I also just added dirt so I will have to wait for results. You typically want about 2 watts per gallon of water for low lighting without co2 hope that helped :)

My tank is 120 liters so that's between 31 and 32 gallon.

2014_%2B8_%2B4_17_54.jpg2014_%2B8_%2B4_17_54.jpg2014_%2B8_%2B4_17_54.jpg2014_%2B8_%2B4_17_54.jpg2014_%2B8_%2B4_17_54.jpg

2014_%2B8_%2B4_17_53.jpg

OMG your tank is beautiful. I hope someone can help with the algae problem :D

Beautiful tank!!!!

:( it looks like you have both black beard algae (BBA) and blue green algae (BGA) from what I can tell.

Your plants are definitely not very happy. I actually do think adding a little more light to the tank and some fertilizers would be a good idea. Are you dosing excel regularly right now? Do you have a comprehensive fert?

I am going to go the Tom Barr route on this one and say you need to focus on growing the plants. The holes in the leaves, yellowing leaves etc. all suggest some deficiency. BBA tends to really attack both slow growing and unhealthy plants. I have dealt with it before and it always ends up on my slower growing plants, or those that have unhealthy growth.

Do you know what type of plants you have? Right now you have quite low light, so I am wondering if you maybe have some plant types that would like a little more light.

What I would suggest first is to manually get rid of all the BBA that you can. Throw away plants that are totally infested with it, pick off any heavily infested leaves, and trim off any dead or dying leaves you see.

Despite the algae, your tank is quite beautiful :)

what do you have for filtration? BGA loves low flow areas :)

Does the tank get natural sunlight?

You've gotten some great advice so far!

I just wanted to compliment your beautiful tank, and pat you on the back. BBA is one of my problem areas, as well, so I understand how frustrating it can be. :hug Hang in there!

One of our members recently had some success with this treatment for BBA, so this might be something to consider after you've done some manual removal. You'd need a QT tank to hold your fish while treating the tank though so they aren't exposed to the h2o2

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684

I dose every day excel and liquid plant food. I also used Seachem root tabs.

I also tried the Estimate Index method, I think it's the Tom Barr method.

Once a week I remove the algue and do a water change. And I use a Eheim 2215 canister filter with biologic, sponge and cottonwool for filtration.

The plants can get some real sunlight but not much I think.

I think I should try two light tubes first.

T5 or T8?

Edited by Ciedric