I'm full of questions this morning...

I've asked a couple questions in a few forums this morning, so I apologize in advance if I annoy anyone...

I'm questioning if I should set up a permanent hospital/QT tank. I have a 10 gallon, an extra filter and bubbler and once all the fish I have at the moment are happy and healthy I plan to add some more to my outside pond so I'll need the QT anyway.

Is it worth it to set up and have a few small fish live in it...like a couple of neons or some very young goldfish I can transfer out to the pond when they get too big for it, or should I just leave it unassembled and use some of the media in the main tank to cycle it when I need to set it up?

Don't apologise for asking questions :D

Many people use an uncycled tank to do QT, with daily or every other day 100% water changes, as it's a much cleaner environment. I only set mine up when I have to, otherwise it just sits empty :)

EDIT: just noticed that in your other thread you mention you have 1ppm ammonia. Someone with a bit more knowledge on this will be along shortly :D

Edited by Lis.

We love questions! I just leave mine unassembled... Mostly because I don't have any other fish to put it in... :rofl I don't do anything with it until someone's sick.

Setting up a permanent QT would defeat the purpose of the QT.

If you were to cycle the QT tank and leave it that way, you would have to nuke the cycle each time you finished using the tank. You don't want to keep accumulating diseases in the media in the QT tank. Each time you use it, you should disinfect it with a mild bleach solution to keep diseases from surviving after the fish gets better.

Edited by ChelseaM

Hmm...reading your responses I'm shaking my head at myself. I think I was thinking moreso that a cycled tank would be ready for new fish or sickies, but that really is just pointless with water changes etc. Face, meet desk.

Thanks!

Hmm...reading your responses I'm shaking my head at myself. I think I was thinking moreso that a cycled tank would be ready for new fish or sickies, but that really is just pointless with water changes etc. Face, meet desk.

Thanks!

Not really...there is some merit to the idea of keeping a cycled tank QT for certain situations. If a fish is simply constipated or has a mild injury and doesn't require medication, this would be fine. This is especially true if you are not able to do frequent water changes. However, this isn't ideal for infectious parasitic or bacterial diseases. In these situations, you want to disinfect and dry the QT tank and equipment between treatments.

Thanks!

Not really...there is some merit to the idea of keeping a cycled tank QT for certain situations. If a fish is simply constipated or has a mild injury and doesn't require medication, this would be fine. This is especially true if you are not able to do frequent water changes. However, this isn't ideal for infectious parasitic or bacterial diseases. In these situations, you want to disinfect and dry the QT tank and equipment between treatments.
I get my fish from a great LFS and my QT is cycled because:

a) I use it as a grow out for propogated baby plantings that might get uprooted by goldies or out competed by larger more established plants

b) my fish come from great sources. My QT's are mostly observational with 3x weekly WC on the cycled tank to maintain clarity.

c) I have lots of filter media from the main tank to use after I QT a fish and clean it all to restablish the filter

d) I have 2 small kids and time is in short supply so it works for me.

Of course hospital QT, QT for recognized illness or treatment of a disease/parasite with medication that will knock out the cycle is a different scenario altogether with different procedures and protocol.

Just wanted to let you know your question wasn't too out of the park and everything has a time and a place right? Ultimately it's your decision how to QT :)

One thing to remember, though, is that new fish are often stressed from transit, etc. and may have weakened immune systems. If you use media from your main tank, you may expose the new fish to a pathogen that your fish are resistant to, but that the new fish will be susceptible to in it's weakened state. So, there is some risk in using a cycled QT.

It's fine to keep a cycled QT if you plan to be getting new fish regularly. You shouldn't keep fish in it though. Just make it a plant tank. Or cycle it fishlessly and feed it a little ammonia every week or so.

I prefer a hospital tank be uncycled and given a daily 100% water change. Actually, I use two tanks and transfer the fish from one tank to the other. I do put a clean, uncycled filter in for water circulation.