Home remedies for ammonia?

I can't get to the shop today to pick up some ammonia treatment and I have sickies in hospital tank that I'd like to have on pristine water conditions.

After checking (3 times...) my tap water tests with 1.0 ppm ammonia. We just had rain which explains it though doesn't help my situation.

I have already added the max of prime and the ammonia is still at 0.5 for some reason. Is there anything I might have at home that can possibly neutralize this??

I'm not sure rain explains ammonia but have you considered putting some seeded media in there or filtering the water for a while and then adding it to the QT?

Edited by DieselPlower

Prime inactivates ammonia rather than removing it. The test will read the inactivated ammonia. Your water should be fine, but it does make one uncomfortable.

If you have a spare filter and some cycled media, you could put the tap water in a container and run it through the filter overnight before using it. That should actually remove the ammonia. This is the same as DP's recommendation above.

Edited by shakaho

Prime inactivates ammonia rather than removing it. The test will read the inactivated ammonia. Your water should be fine, but it does make one uncomfortable.

If you have a spare filter and some cycled media, you could put the tap water in a container and run it through the filter overnight before using it. That should actually remove the ammonia. This is the same as DP's recommendation above.

What do you mean by but it does make one uncomfortable?

Does adding more Prime than the prescribed on the bottle effect the fish?

I ask, because I rarely don't double dose my tank with Prime for no other reasons than to make sure ammonia is in check and the thought that extra Prime doesn't hurt the fish.

Sorry, I just meant that when you get a reading that says you have ammonia, it's hard not to worry about it, even when you have put in enough Prime to detoxify it.

Thank you, I didn't know that prime made it inactive but that it would still show on the reading. I feel a million times better now! I have been using filtered tap water, BUT its been with a drinking water filter so I'll give it a shot with the aquarium filter.

DieselPlower - rain explains the ammonia because of where I live. I'm in semi desert region of san diego, we get rain maybe 4 times a year, so our reserve water is from run off, which is not treated with just chlorine here but with both chlorine and ammonia and the new water is given sort of a loading dose before being added into the reserve. I guess I was vague about that...

Thank you, I didn't know that prime made it inactive but that it would still show on the reading. I feel a million times better now! I have been using filtered tap water, BUT its been with a drinking water filter so I'll give it a shot with the aquarium filter.

DieselPlower - rain explains the ammonia because of where I live. I'm in semi desert region of san diego, we get rain maybe 4 times a year, so our reserve water is from run off, which is not treated with just chlorine here but with both chlorine and ammonia and the new water is given sort of a loading dose before being added into the reserve. I guess I was vague about that...

Are you on city water?

I live in central California (Santa Cruz County), and we don't get much rain either. Of course the entire state is in a drought right now, too ...! I was just curious because I wonder if it's the same situation for the water in my city.

Nice to see another California resident, BTW - there aren't too many of us on here! I was born in Rancho Bernardo, but my family moved up here when I was 2 to be closer to relatives. I went back and visited with my mom at age 17 or 18, and it was beautiful! [emoji1]

Edited by *Amanda*

Are you on city water?

I live in central California (Santa Cruz County), and we don't get much rain either. Of course the entire state is in a drought right now, too ...! I was just curious because I wonder if it's the same situation for the water in my city.

Nice to see another California resident, BTW - there aren't too many of us on here! I was born in Rancho Bernardo, but my family moved up here when I was 2 to be closer to relatives. I went back and visited with my mom at age 17 or 18, and it was beautiful! [emoji1]

Very cool! I don't know that this is a very big hobby here...as far as I'm aware there is only one koi club and it looks pretty small. It probably has a lot to do with the amount of temporarily stationed military, since I doubt they'd take up fish knowing they could be transferred around every few years.

And yep, I am on city water. You might have it in yours too but it would totally depend on where your water source is from. You should be able to look at the consumer confidence report on the city website.