Food for sensitive orandas?

Reds12

Hello :) I have 2 orandas that have been through some significant health problems over a few years - dropsy, bacterial infection from a wound,and now some secondary illness possibly due to a fluke infestation? - anyway, they've become more and more sensitive to food, water quality etc after each illness.

I want to try to prevent future illnesses as much as possible so I think its time to ditch the generic goldfish pellets and go for something that is more quality, and nutritionally balanced.

Can anyone suggest a diet for these two? Thanks in advance!!

What do you mean by sensitive? What happens if you give them regular pellet/flake food? What type of food do you normally feed? Most people here use a pellet food as a staple, supplementing with vegetables and bloodworms/brine shrimp. I'd say the three most popular staple foods are New Life Spectrum Goldfish (or Thera A+), Omega One Goldfish Pellets (small), and Hikari in the purple bag.

Edited by Justin

Hello :)

having an oranda myself, I like to feed my goldies frozen blood worms (thawed in tank water first before feeding), baby spinach (boiled first to make it softer for them to eat), boiled peas. I know some members feed gel foods such as Repashy Soilent Green. Something I'm thinking of getting. Definitely, providing variety to their diet would make for a happier goldie in my opinion.

With bloodworms, baby spinach, and peas I feed as a treat only. Anyway, this is how I do it and my fish are very happy. Also, I know other members offer more than one kind of pellet food to their goldies.

Question: what kind of pellets/foods are you feeding them now? (what brand, are they floating/sinking pellets, what kind of veggies, etc.)

You mentioned they have had dropsy in the past. Personally, I avoid floaty foods and feed Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets. The sinking pellets get my goldies to go to the bottom of the tank to get their food as opposed to having them hanging out on the top and them gulping extra air as they eat. Thus minimizing the chance of my goldies getting floaty (my fantail used to be prone to this).

As for ditching the pellets 100% I cannot say if that would be a great idea? but I'm sure someone else with more experience will chime in and let you know what they think of this. I know that goldfish need some kind of staple food in their diet. But it would be great to know if anyone has been successful in keeping their goldies off of pellets 100% :) and offering them another kind of staple food.

In the past, my fish has done very well on Pro Gold. I have now run out and am feeding NLS Cichlid. We've always substituted heavily but it is hard to consistently maintain nutrition without a staple product like a good quality pellet or Repashy.

Edited by motherredcap

In the past, my fish has done very well on Pro Gold. I have now run out and am feeding NLS Cichlid. We've always substituted heavily but it is hard to consistently maintain nutrition without a staple product like a good quality pellet or Repashy.

Hm. I never even thought of using Cichlid. I only use "goldfish" labeled food. Closed-minded, I know. :rofl

Alex suggested the cichlid pellets, and they are easier for me to find locally. I miss the pro gold, though.

Yeah, the only reason I only feed Omega One is because there isn't any NLS goldfish around where I am. I haven't tried Pro-Gold. What did you like about it?

I thought that my fish put on real growth and seemed to like it. The pellets are super large, though, and I can see why this might not be optimal. Some people report floating on it. My fish floated on Soilent Green but never PG.

Hikari is probably the easiest food for me to get and I do feed it in between experiments

During my fishies first prazi treatment, they got a secondary infection that I treated with antibiotics. Knowing what antibiotics can due to the beneficial bacteria in the gut, I made sure to include probiotics in their food after the antibiotic treatment. I currently use Repashy Soilent Green and NLS gel food. I put a fish probiotic in the mix (http://www.amazon.com/MitoFish-Pediococcus-Probiotics-Prebiotics-Capsules/dp/B003NGS3XY/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1407267688&sr=1-7&keywords=fish+probiotics), but you probably could use a regular human probiotic (a lot of people do on this forum). Just make sure to add the probiotic when the gel has cooled down a bit before it firms up too much. The MitoFish product can handle up to 140 degrees F.

I also feed NLS Thera A. It has garlic, which fish seem to really like. And I feed the occasional frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Thanks for the responses!

Justin, by sensitive, I mean that they tend to get "sick" more easily than goldfish typically do. For example, nitrate should be under 40ppm or something, right? They would need to be under 20ppm or they become lethargic, and they become constipated very easily, more so than my others. They react to stressors much more quickly than I would expect them to.

MK_12, right now they are getting aqueon sinking goldfish pellets, and I also give them blood worms, algae tabs, spinach and peas. I definitely don't want to ditch pellets all together, just these ones. The ingredients list isn't great, so something more nutritious is what I'm hoping for.

Lisa, I take probiotics myself when on antibiotics, so I feel silly the thought didnt even cross my mind to give them any! I'll definitely be doing that.

I'll have to check out all of the suggestions and see what is most readily available to me. Thank you!!!

Edited by Reds12

If you want to go look for some pellets yourself, I think the rule of thumb is that wheat products shouldn't be in the first three ingredients. For example, Aqueon Goldfish Flakes' first 3 ingredients are Whole fish meal, whole wheat flour, and soybean meal, whereas for Omega One, the first three ingredients are whole salmon, whole herring, and whole shrimp. That's a HUGE difference. You want those whole seafood products first on the ingredients list.

Repashy Soilent Green is an excellent staple food, and it's very quick and easy to prepare. My boyfriend feeds it almost exclusively to his goldfish and they have been doing very well. However, when I got my own tank, I decided to add some variety in the form of small, high-quality pellets. I purchased NLS Thera-A, Pro Gold and Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish (my fish like these a lot - some of mine didn't do so well on the larger Hikari pellets). I feed them a combination of all four and they are really thriving. [emoji4]

You can save a lot of money buying food and other fish supplies online. I now only shop locally if I need to get something ASAP. I recently finished setting up my tank, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I saved $1,000 buying everything online, judging by the markups at the stores around here! Our forum sponsor TastyWorms has a GREAT selection of quality foods, too. [emoji1]

Edited by *Amanda*

Thanks for the responses!

Justin, by sensitive, I mean that they tend to get "sick" more easily than goldfish typically do. For example, nitrate should be under 40ppm or something, right? They would need to be under 20ppm or they become lethargic, and they become constipated very easily, more so than my others. They react to stressors much more quickly than I would expect them to.

MK_12, right now they are getting aqueon sinking goldfish pellets, and I also give them blood worms, algae tabs, spinach and peas. I definitely don't want to ditch pellets all together, just these ones. The ingredients list isn't great, so something more nutritious is what I'm hoping for.

Lisa, I take probiotics myself when on antibiotics, so I feel silly the thought didnt even cross my mind to give them any! I'll definitely be doing that.

I'll have to check out all of the suggestions and see what is most readily available to me. Thank you!!!

I would try the NLS Thera-A 1mm pellets, Super or Solient Green Gel Food and Frozen Bloodworms.