Dirted Tank

People would be surprised what goes on undisciplined in high school. I do thank Tammy for the warning and concern, though. :) I'll tie the rhizomes to driftwood, rocks. Thanks, Paige!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin

Algae just needs nutrients in the water and light to grow. So if you add your nutrient-rich dirt, gravel and water and run the lights before you have plants you're giving the algae a head start.

If possible I'd add some floating plants to your list. They're the best thing possible for sucking up excess nitrogen and nutrients since they can get their CO2 directly from the air. I've had the best luck with watersprite, water lettuce and frogbit. I've had good experiences ordering online from Peabody's Paradise and Planted Aquariums Central.

I'd also highly recommend getting some Nerite snails after awhile. They do a great job of cleaning any algae you may get and breaking down any missed fish food or wilting leaves into a form the plants can more readily use. They lay tiny white eggs but they won't hatch in freshwater so you don't have to worry about them become a pest.

Justin

Algae just needs nutrients in the water and light to grow. So if you add your nutrient-rich dirt, gravel and water and run the lights before you have plants you're giving the algae a head start.

If possible I'd add some floating plants to your list. They're the best thing possible for sucking up excess nitrogen and nutrients since they can get their CO2 directly from the air. I've had the best luck with watersprite, water lettuce and frogbit. I've had good experiences ordering online from Peabody's Paradise and Planted Aquariums Central.

I'd also highly recommend getting some Nerite snails after awhile. They do a great job of cleaning any algae you may get and breaking down any missed fish food or wilting leaves into a form the plants can more readily use. They lay tiny white eggs but they won't hatch in freshwater so you don't have to worry about them become a pest.

Awesome! I see why not to turn the lights on until the plants are in there, thanks :)

I will look into some floating plants, too. My only concern is, does it block too much light for the other plants? I was looking into water sprite and water lettuce, but I was concerned about the light levels.

I'll also get some nerite snails to take care of algae :) Good to know they won't take over the tank. Snails irk me a little, but it's worth it if it means less algae! :D

There's also a little change of plans. I think I'm actually going to do a community tropical tank instead of a betta. I think I'd prefer the look. I'm planning on two schools of neon tetras and black neon tetras, some Cory cats and a couple of dwarf gouramis. If there's anything different is need to do, feel free to let me know :)

Also, I'm fairly new to all the types of plants, so if you (anyone) would like to recommend plants that are good for beginners, I'd love to know them!!! :D

And do you guys think 1.5wpg is sufficient? That's what I have available to me, but I could purchase another fixture if absolutely necessary. That would be in the form of a 15 watt t8 daylight bulb.

I couldn't... :( BUT, I think I'm going to upgrade anyway, and one of my options (I actually just started a thread a little while ago. I'd love for you to see it!) is the Marineland Double Bright 24, which offers ~28 micromols per square meter per second.... Is that what you are looking for?

The other is the Finnex Fugeray Planted +, which I can't seem to find the PAR for either. I'll keep digging. I was looking into T5, but Dan said it was overkill without CO2.

A lot of planted tank people like the Finnex lights. :)

I have a Marineland Double Bright on my 40 b, and I supplement with their Hidden LED lighting system. My plants do pretty well.

What are the tank dimensions for the one which will receive the upgrade?

I said I was going to do a 10 gallon, but since the filter I have is a Tetra 40, I think I'll pick up a 20 and set the filter to 75% (you can adjust it). Sorry I'm having so many changes of plans. It's so hard to decide! I'm sure you know. I found this. 6edepymy.jpg

I don't know if you've heard of them, but I just saw the Current USA Satellite Plus for around $80, too. It has a White LEDs and RGB LEDs, which are fully user controllable. I think that may be a good option, because I can set it to be more red for the plants. PAR for that is 36 at 12 inches. Pretty good, right?

Seems like too much work to me, But that is just me LOL! I'll leave it to the more experienced aquarist to accomplish. It does sound very interesting however. :interesting: I never heard of a dirted tank before. :hummm Good luck on your project Justin, :goodluck I look forward to seeing it when it is done. :D

I said I was going to do a 10 gallon, but since the filter I have is a Tetra 40, I think I'll pick up a 20 and set the filter to 75% (you can adjust it). Sorry I'm having so many changes of plans. It's so hard to decide! I'm sure you know. I found this. 6edepymy.jpg

This par chart is for the fuge ray and not for the planted plus. Last I heard, finnex had not published par ratings for the planted plus. Although you can get unofficial par ratings online.

This par chart is for the fuge ray and not for the planted plus. Last I heard, finnex had not published par ratings for the planted plus. Although you can get unofficial par ratings online.

Ah! Yes! Thank you! I just found a forum, on which an employee of Finnex works. He says "FugeRAY Planted+ will still have the controllable moonlights. Sample is still in Taiwan with my associate and spectrum chart is on the way. Quick PAR reading below 24 inch fixture

3": 185

6": 117

9": 88

12": 61

15": 45"

Seems pretty good to me.. I've decide to use a 20 gallon long, which is only 12 inches tall. That means I'll get 61 PAR, hopefully. He doesn't mention whether this was measured in water or air... :bat:

So to recap, my options are:

-Double Bright/28PAR/$68

-Satellite Plus/36PAR/$80 (with programmable RGB LEDs)

-Finnex Planted Plus/61PAR/$80

I definitely think the Double Bright is out of the picture. Now I just want to know whether 61PAR is TOO much, without CO2 other than Flourish Excel. I also like the satellite plus because of the cool night modes/ storm modes/ cloud modes, but I feel like I would use those less and less as time goes on. Like I said, I'm leaning towards the Finnex, but I'm worried it's too much light. It should be good for plants, though, because it has true 650nm red diodes.

I have a Marineland Double Bright on my 40 b, and I supplement with their Hidden LED lighting system. My plants do pretty well.

I have the Marineland Double Bright too. I intentionally got this one instead of the Finnex because I didn't want too much light where I would need pressurized CO2, and the Finnex PAR data put me in a higher light range where CO2 likely would have been needed. I am using Excel, Flourish and Flourish root tabs and my plants are doing very well so far!

I have the Marineland Double Bright too. I intentionally got this one instead of the Finnex because I didn't want too much light where I would need pressurized CO2, and the Finnex PAR data put me in a higher light range where CO2 likely would have been needed. I am using Excel, Flourish and Flourish root tabs and my plants are doing very well so far!
Yeah, 61 is a lot. I was worried about that. Maybe now I'll look between the Satellite and the double bright. I like the Satellite because it has programmable RGB LEDs so I can red-tint it to help the plants.

Yeah, 61 is a lot. I was worried about that. Maybe now I'll look between the Satellite and the double bright. I like the Satellite because it has programmable RGB LEDs so I can red-tint it to help the plants.

I posted in your other thread so I'll just say one thing here: with the planted plus lights, I only use Excel for CO2-like supplementation and it works fine. I don't plan to get into using CO2 equipment.

Edited by LisaCGold

I posted in your other thread so I'll just say one thing here: with the planted plus lights, I only use Excel for CO2-like supplementation and it works fine. I don't plan to get into using CO2 equipment.

Yeah I don't want to either. I'm going for the "low tech" type if tank. So you think the Planted Plus will work fine with just Excel and low-med light plants?

Yeah I don't want to either. I'm going for the "low tech" type if tank. So you think the Planted Plus will work fine with just Excel and low-med light plants?
It sounds like it would work just fine. I'm a bit surprised, since the PAR is so much higher on the Planted+ than on the Marineland. But I've come to learn that with planted tanks, theory seems to only go so far, and practice can give quite different results, probably depending on all the variables involved. [emoji4]

As an example, Anubias are supposed to be slow-growing, but they are growing very quickly in my tank, almost as fast as the pennywort! The java fern, which is supposed to be very hardy, is dying (although it was in a bag for 6 days due to a shipping mishap - the box of plants was put somewhere other than usual, so I didn't realize it had arrived). Go figure.

I agree. I think the people that make the statements "slow growing" are really meaning to say "Slow growing for me" :rofl

Maybe that's what I'll do. If I don't have to do pressurized CO2, and I can have a larger variety if plants due to the high PAR, I'll go with the Finnex :) Thanks Amanda.