Is my fantail growing too fast? (Is that even possible?)

andry6

So I just recently weighed my two fish and got to thinking that one of them has grown substantially.

Back in March, when I got my scale, they were:

Oranda: 3" / 50 grams

Fantail: 3" / 53 grams (both fish just over 1 year old)

now (5 months later) they are:

Oranda: 3.5" / 67 grams

Fantail: 4" / 92 grams :yikes (both fish approximately 1 1/2 years old)

I just want to make sure that we are on the right track as far as growth rate. When we purchased them, they were about 3 months old or so and the fantail was about 2/3 the size of the oranda.

I feed them .5 - 1% of their body weight and neither seems to be getting any more food than the other. I am just shocked at how quickly my fantail is growing. Could this just be due the fact that they are two different types and they grow at different rates/sizes?

I feed them the Hikari purple pellets, shrimp pellets, repashy soilent green, omega one frozen blood worms (once, maybe twice a week) and frozen peas (and I keep my water pristine!!).

Clean water and a healthy diet like you are providing will encourage growth. I have a young Oranda and many young fantails and the fantails are fast outgrowing the oranda.

Jared would probably say that is slow growth. :tomuch:

If you're happy with that growth, keep doing what you're doing. If you'd like to slow their growth, cut back on food. It's up to you. They are happy and healthy, obviously. :rofl

They grow at different rates not because they are different varieties, but because they are different fish. Even siblings from the same spawn grow at different rates. As as they are healthy you should have no more concern about it than you would about a child not being the same size as a sibling at the same age.

I have an oranda called Koko that grew at least 6 grams heavier in a month but grows longer than deeper so isn't very heavy even though her total length is nearly 4 inches so I think it depends on the different fish not the types :)

Some fish just grow faster than others. One of my girls gains ~8g a month now (although she just had a 15g growth spurt! :o ) while the other one puts on 2 or 3, steadily. If everyone's getting enough food and are healthy, I'd just monitor and keep track of it. I don't see anything wrong with the growth you've posted. :hug