Concerning White Spots on Head

Jamie1422

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recommend that QT method, simply because I don't know enough about these specific fish. People are always welcome to dose their fish with whatever meds they like, but as always, it's a judgment call as to what is considered necessary versus going too far.

A fish from reputable sources may require nothing other than observation. Others still need some treatment, like prazi, and yet some others will need a more aggressive approach. For example, fish from ECR has already been treated for a number of things before coming to the buyer, so it makes no sense to subject these fish to more harsh chemicals.

So, the answer is that it really depends, and we need to know more before we make a recommendation.

ECR is a reputable source. It's her video. Of course, hopefully nobody just doses with whatever meds and goes too far. And of course one wouldn't use metro and nitro with an ecr fish for she already does this with her fish. I guess I should have made it more clear for members that are new.

I would still use those meds above from my post if I were to buy a new fish from a pet store. You never know where they came from.

Jamie, I hope you get a photo up of your other fish so Alex can see it if he's still on the forum. I hope he's okay.

What is your or recommendation for now making sure Nemo the little ranchu is healthy enough to go back into the big tank?

Since there has been no answer for you as of yet: I would continue using the meds your using for a full round of at least 10 days unless you get an answer otherwise from someone else. After treatment I would continue leaving him in the qt tank for several days just to observe and make sure he's okay and give him time to recuperate after being drugged up with meds.

I don't know the history of your other fish and what kind of meds/treatments they were on but again, this is what I do. I know my fish and what all they have been through. So if it were my tank and me knowing the history of my fish I would do a preventable treatment in my main tank. It's easy, In the past I have added the meds in the main tank and do another water change in 5 days then add the meds back in after another water change. Done. I just did a preventable treatment on my main tank. (just my advice/two cents) I know it can be scary when you have a sick fish. I'm so glad your fish is looking and doing so much better. I'd just hate for you to stop treatment too soon.

Edited by 4prettyfish

What is your or recommendation for now making sure Nemo the little ranchu is healthy enough to go back into the big tank?

Please do continue both medications for a full 10 days and check in again before stopping :)

If you have concerns about any other fish in the main tank please do post pictures of the areas of concern. I personally would not treat a fish that is demonstrating no symptoms, but it is of course up to you. Please do keep us in the loop if you do decide to treat the main tank. If not, simply keep an eye out for problem areas and post pictures if there is something you are concerned about :)

So now he is developing dark spots on his body. His fins had ammonia burn when I bought him but now dark speckles have appeared on his body. Any thing med related?? Just seems odd.

Can you test the water and let us know?

Assuming there is no ammonia in the water, medications can cause ammonia burn type symptoms as well, and it may very well be that. But please do check your water and make sure there is no ammonia/nitrite :)

Glad to see your fish is doing better - you've been getting great advice. [emoji4]

I personally like to err on the side of caution and leave my fish in QT for at least a week after the last day of medication. There is no rush to return them to the main tank, and this allows me to continue to observe the fish just in case something crops up. [emoji4]

Water was good - the directions said daily water changes so I had been doing that every evening. Doesn't seem to bother him - I was just surprised to see the dark spots!

Let's just keep an eye on them now. They look superficial, and medications can act as an irritant and create darker pigmented spots similar to what ammonia does. Let us know if there's any changes in them though.

Did the ten days and am done. He seems to be doing great. Head looks better just has some dark spots on his body possibly from the meds. Doesn't seem to bother him at all which is good!