Concerning White Spots on Head

Jamie1422

• Supporter

that little protrusion seems to be going down, correct? i think it's worth holding off on any meds. if anything, we're discussing Metronidazole on it's own, or MetroMeds. but for now, if that one little protrusion has gone down and there is no hole, hold off on medicating and continue to observe. report back with any changes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep Metronidazole and Nitrofuricin green on hand for hole in the head disease. I'm not saying this to scare you for you said your fish is doing good. I just think it's a good thing to have on hand. Koko had posted a video regarding Hole in the Head from EastCoastRanchu. Cynthia is the owner and has had success with these meds combined. I believe you can find the video in the D&D section in those other areas???? Drawing blank of what they are called.???

• Supporter

Chery, you were treating for HOLE IN THE WEN.. please do not add confusion by declaring every wen issue to be HOLE IN THE HEAD, you were treating the WEN

i am relating to a different parasitic attack all together being HOLE IN THE HEAD. you fish never displayed the following symptoms of HOLE IN THE HEAD to which i have successfully treated and have a very strong understanding of what is HOLE IN THE HEAD and it is VERY different to what is HOLE IN THE WEN.

your fish NEVER displayed this:

(these are MY images, from MY experiences of having successfully treated HOLE IN THE HEAD "HITH" on multiple attacks on different fish)

do you see the hole? : this is why it is called HOLE IN THE HEAD because there IS an actual a hole in the head with no purple/pink disease eating away at the wen.

Anastasia-HITH_zps9c1d9a63.jpg

this is what HITH, HOLE IN THE HEAD looked like in the morning, if you have an understanding of what it is MEANT to look like before an attack, exactly in this position is where the attacks are made, first on one side of the head, right here where i show, then in the next few days, on the other side of the head in EXACTLY the same position:

BGR-HITHb_zps7be13496.jpg

and later that afternoon, this is what presented UNDER that small, very innocent looking bump:

do you see the HOLE? which is in the HEAD? an actual HOLE?? this is HITH. now look around it to see the permanent sivery scarring HITH also leaves behind. this is not a wenned fish, but that does not mean that wenned fish cannot experience HITH. but please do learn that HEAD AND WEN are not the same item just because the WEN grows on the HEAD does not mean that the WEN is the HEAD. HEAD is bone, WEN is benign tumor.

BGR-HITHa_zps719f085e.jpg

and to sustain my concern for the OP's fish may possibly be experiencing an attack of HITH, HOLE IN THE HEAD, here is the diagram i presented to the moderating team of their OWN fish.

possibleHITH_zps3b07a391.jpg

Jamie, i really did not mean to post all this and cause you any stress, which is why prior to cheryl's post, i hadn't. however, i felt the need to educate since what was stated is wrong and didn't want you to be mislead.

that said, Hole in the Wen - (which in today's world, we now refer to as Wen Ulcer) and HITH- Hole in the Head are just as serious symptom as one another and both need immediate treatments of similar antibiotics.. the easiest way to draw conclusion is that HITH stems from microscopic parasitic based attack, hole in the wen stems from a bacteria attack.

Helen, I'm not going to dispute this with you here on Jaimie's D&D thread. I mean no harm and definitely no alarm. I said what I said because of what you posted on line #19.

I stand by what I had said and what I have learned for both hole in the head and hole in the wen.

Again, Continued looking good for your fish, Jaimie.

Good luck, Jamie. You are getting fantastic help from our esteemed moderator, Helen, and I am glad your fish appears to be doing well. May this trend to continue to all the worrisome spots are gone. :)

I do agree that it's nice to have a nice stock of the necessary treatments, should you ever need it. There are a number of threads on the forum on what constitutes a good medicine chest for goldfish, and I recommend that you take a look at them. Of those, metronidazole powder, as well as Metro-Meds, are absolute lifesavers. :)

If you wanted to go ahead and buy the other thing that is suggested above, I would go ahead and buy Bifuran, or furan-2. This medication contains the necessary active ingredient nitrofurazone to treat for a lot of external issues. I would not get nitrofuracin green, which is nitrofurazone + malachite green. Malachite green is a strong suspect to cause cancer and other toxicities, and this has been demonstrated in other animals. In today's world, where there are already so many toxins and other harmful chemicals around, I personally just make a choice of trying to limit my exposure to these when I can. This instance is one of those times where there are options. :)

Good luck, and I hope to read of fantastic updates in the near future.

I really think Helen is on to something here. My little guys hole that I can see looks very similar to the one she has a picture of. I just can't get that clear of a picture!! I am now determined to make him hold still to get his picture taken - I will make sure to tell him that so he cooperates better this time :) I will get a clear picture this afternoon no matter what!! What I see is definetly a lot smaller than the one pictured but very very similar. Like a pin prick hole!

Could this be contagious? I have two other fish with him to worry about :(

• Supporter

lets be very sure first. there are two forms of bumps exactly like this that are very familiar to me. one is HITH, the other is just a superficial pimple. the reason why HITH rang alarm bells is simply because i saw some slithery lines under the wen and on the scalp.

that said, the second kind of bump that i am familiar with, is in fact a pimple. i will drag some photos out of two of my previous fish who had these not to worry about pimples a few times in my care. i will post back in a sec. if you can get those photos, (someone may be able to snap them whilst you hold your fish still or the opposite), or you can try to get it on video.

give me a few mins to dig the pimple photos out as it was some time ago.

Amazingly clear pictures! I'm in awe of your photography skills haha.

Unfortunately this thing called work keeps getting in my way! I will try my very best this afternoon to get a clear picture of that area of his head. Thank you so much for all this information. You really know your fish!

• Supporter

thank you for your compliments on my photography :)

work comes first! when you can, provide the pics and we will discuss what this could be. as far as my knowledge goes, i learned it all from kokos and my own personal experiences with my stock. it would have been nice to breeze through the hobby with no hiccups, unfortunately, goldfish don't offer that luxury and so we are forced to learn as we go :teehee

Ok. Impossible to get a picture!! How do you do it??? I am going crazy!

I took a video. It's not really clear but you can see the area above his left eye which he conveniently keeps to the back side of the tank! Might not help much.... https://vimeo.com/102978050

Two slightly white spots from the side. But don't look white from straight down. I cannot tell for definite if the holes go way down but it looks like pin pricks on his head. I even held him trying to get the holes to show up in a picture and they won't that's how tiny they are. I just must be a horrible photographer since I have a good camera! It just won't focus on the right area to show it clear. If it was the hole in the head isn't that a more fast moving disease?

You can see the three indents above his left eye. In two of those indents it looks like pin pricks. The other tiny spot is at the very top of the head. Just indent no real noticeable pin prick there.

• Supporter

in your honest opinion, from your close observations on the affected areas, please tell me if you see any other discolouration other than white particularly in these holes and indentations of the wen. ie, any purple or pink? even if a hint of these colours. your answer will affect the treatment options we are considering (not by much, but enough to make a difference :) ) and we would like to be very certain with what it is that you are seeing.

It seems to be a white spot then then goes away leaving a tiny tiny hole poke surrounded by an area of indentation. The indented area is larger and easily seen. The pin holes are super tiny. After the white goes away the indented area seems to go back to his normal coloring.

Now that I think of it his coloring has changed but I've just assumed its a slight color change. His white on the head area has turned slightly yellow. Not sure if that's anything to do with this but thought I'd throw it out there. Within the last month his head color has been changing.

• Supporter

anything that is a natural colouring will not cause you any alarm.. the sight of purple and pink would have had you naturally worried, since even we as humans are concerned for these colours appearing on our skin, it's natural to be concerned of the same on our fish :) and yes, the fact that these colours aren't present is a very good thing :)

if the surrounding area where the hole is, is turning yellow, then that is one step closer to orange, meaning, we're travelling in the right direction. makes sense? :)

now, through all the discussions i've had with Alex, we've decided that it's best we go and treat with Metronidazole and Bifuran. if you don't have these currently, please check with your local LFS to see if they carry them. if not, order them online :)

both will be treated as per recommendations on the packet by the manufacturer(s).

i would prefer that this fish is isolated into a QT for treatment.