Concerning White Spots on Head

Jamie1422

Hi. I am beginning to think my small ranchu might have an issue that needs to be addressed. He had a little white spot a few days ago on his head that almost looked like a wen growth - he has no wen though. I watched it and within a few days it appeared to be gone. Problem solved? Nope...

Last night I noticed two tiny white areas on his head again. This maybe look a little different then the ones before but to me it is so hard to tell! I think they may look a little fuzzy but are so tiny I'm not positive - I have never dealt with any thing like this before and this little ranchu has been extremely healthy always. He is still acting normal and eating well.

Info:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

55 gallon tank with two filters (aquaclear 70 and aquaclear 50) been running 4+ months

Last water change was 90% 5 days ago

Two tank mates: oranda and a ryukin both with no symptoms

Sand substrate added to tank 1 week ago from Petco - rinsed Welles prior to adding to tank

These are a few pictures snapped this morning quick before work - I could try get clearer tonight if needed

e6ehady2.jpg

qy7ese7e.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there. I think getting clearer shots would help the Koko's Mod Team to identify the issue better. :)

Also, if you could copy, paste, and fill out this form for them in its entirety when you get home from work, that would be awesome. I see that you have quite a few of the questions answered, but having all of them done would be really beneficial. :thanks

Edit: Helen sniped me! :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

That last picture kind of shows three indents in his head area? Now when I have him in a small bowl he is pooping like crazy and this white came out after a bunch of regular looking poop

yruzaged.jpg

This might sound silly but I didn't know he'd grow anything on his head?? It almost looks like little pin dot holes?

Yes, ranchu, lionhead, Oranda, and some pearlscales (hamanashiki) will grow wens :)

This might sound silly but I didn't know he'd grow anything on his head?? It almost looks like little pin dot holes?

Yes, ranchu, lionhead, Oranda, and some pearlscales (hamanashiki) will grow wens :)
Don't forget about some ryukins! :rofl

My girl gets spots that look just like this quite often. :)

You are seeing a hole? That does not sound like wen growth to me. :(

Hope you will get some treatment options soon. :hug

Just like an indented area compared to the other parts. Others seem to think wen growth so I'm hoping that's the case! Love the little guy! Only had him about 5 months and he's double in size. Quick little grower! Been so healthy that's why the dots sort of concern me but hopefully I'm worrying for nothing!

• Supporter

this is not wen growth in my opinion. the spot seems to be in a position where HITH will affect a fish, at the crest of the opening and closing of the gill plate. it may not be HITH.. but lets not be too concerned at this point, since HITH and most other symptoms that present like this are treatable. i will report to the mod team for discussion.

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tank). 0

[*]* Nitrate level(Tank). 5-10

[*]* Ammonia Level(Tap) Never checked but can if needed

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tap)

[*]* Nitrate level(Tap)

[*]* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines). Never checked

[*]* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:[*]* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test drops

[*]* Water temperature? 71 degrees

[*]* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons upgraded to this tank 3 months ago maybe?

[*]* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua clear 70 and aqua clear 50

[*]* How often do you change the water and how much? 90% once a week

[*]* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago 90% and 50% tonight

[*]* How many fish in the tank and their size? Three fish: Large oranda, small ryukin, small ranchu (affected fish)

[*]* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3 times day alternate between repashy gel food, nls Thera a, hikari purple bag

[*]* Any new fish added to the tank? No (added sand 1 week ago rinsed well)

[*]* Any medications added to the tank? Melafix

[*]* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc. None

[*]* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White spots and indentations in area around spots

[*]* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope acting and eating normal

• Supporter

we've had some discussion over this, but, before i go into detail, can you please update us with a few pics of similar to what you previously posted. has that pimple burst or been reabsorbed at all? i'd like to see what it looks like today :)

OK I'm having a hard time getting excellent pictures. Here's what I got. Back to just one white spot and then 3 indentations. Maybe it is wen growth???

nebugy6a.jpg

me9ygera.jpg

4a3erese.jpg

That picture shows good the marks from where the dots show up.... They seem to have only been in those three spots