Unidentified unwelcome snail guest?

ActiasAmy

So this morning I was watching the morning feeding and I noticed a whole freakin' snail that I did not add to my tank. There have been no new plants added to my tank in a month or so, and none of the pond plants I'd salvaged went into this tank as they didn't make it past quarantine. What is this little guy and how likely is it that there are more?

zehyse7e.jpg

All plants were bleach dipped except a small amount of java moss. I'm assuming that must be the source. If this is a pest snail and not useful in eating algae or replicates too quickly how do I get rid of it?

Ack.

Looks like a ramshorn snail.

Oh no!
Double oh no! According to this article I should have 20-30 in my tank... but I definitely don't have that many. Oh dear. Hopefully it doesn't get out of hand. Should I just watch and wait? What do I do if it becomes a pest problem?

Looks like a Ramshorn to me too! I have a few of them in my tank. I like to watch them meander around! Plus mine NEVER get "out of control" cause the goldies eat most of them! Especially babies!! :yikes

Looks like a Ramshorn to me too! I have a few of them in my tank. I like to watch them meander around! Plus mine NEVER get "out of control" cause the goldies eat most of them! Especially babies!! :yikes

That's reassuring, I've never had to use snailicides or algaecides and I'd really like to not. Assuming it were only a couple I'd just leave them. I'm surprised that one made it past the goldies anyways, he looked fairly mature.

Snails are not a bad thing!

They are a natural part of the planted tank world!

They eat dead and decaying plant matter and help to clean up extra uneaten food. They help clean the glass too just not as much as nerite snails do.

I have tons of ramshorn snails, mts and am currently trying to reintroduce and maintain a population of pond snails in my tank.

Plus as stated before they are a snack for goldfish, which is why I dont have anymore pond snails!

Oh and I would NEVER use snailcides and algaecides in my tank they are bad news. There are way better ways to mange things in your tank. Chemicals are not the way to go. =]

Edited by xjasminex