Sign in to follow this  
orangeboar

Worm coming out of dead betta - 2 bettas dead

So many deaths..... :(

So yesterday, my first betta died and I put her in a bowl deciding on burying her later. 10 hours later, I see a worm coming out of her.... This morning I woke up to a second betta dead. :( But I do not see anything popping out of her yet. Ugh. Here is a picture. If you need me to do a water test, let me know.

Last water change: Last week. About to do one now. Water changes weekly.

Fish tank size: 29 gallons

Other inhabitants: 1 female betta, swordtail, platy, school of rummy nose and neon tetras.

Any new fish added to tanks: The group of rummy noses about a month and a half - 2 months ago. I did not quarantine them.

Prior health issues and medications used: None.

Findings on fish: worm sticking out. The worms colour is RED if you cannot tell from my pic

Food fed: I switch between the Omega One Tropical Flakes, and frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp.

Fish Behavior Before Death: None... Fish was all acting normally.

The only thing I am afraid is that my goldies might get infected depending on what this is... I do not share tank equipment, but I do water changes from the same sink. :( Let me know.

IMGP1831.jpg

Edited by Gloyd

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope that someone will be able to help you with identifying the worm. :(

Thanks so much Tammy. :)

And on a side note, I forgot to add that the worm is alive X_X. It's wriggling around. *sigh*

I'm so sorry! :hug

To me it looks like a Camallanus worm. The picture is pretty blurry though.

Let a mod identify, but that's my opinion.

To me it looks like a Camallanus worm. The picture is pretty blurry though.

Let a mod identify, but that's my opinion.

I think so, too.

Thanks Mikey :(

And thank you both for the input. I looked it up and I did think it might be that. However, I just got 2 replies in my e-mail after posting last night about my first betta in the bettafish forums. Both said that the "worm":

"might be part of the rectum and intestine beginning to invert as pressure builds up within her digestive track. Any movement is likely further pressure movement."

and

"Just like in other deceased organisms, bloating and natural bodily gasses/fluids will escape from orfices in the body. This appears to be poop, not a worm. You have described it "wriggling" though, which I'm not sure what is causing that."

I was watching it for a long time and I shook the water, etc and as the water came to a rest, the "worm thing" was still wriggling around and doing so for like an hour later as well. I wish I took video instead of a photo but it is too late and she is decomposing with fungus already so I got to bury her. I got 2 shots and posted this one as both look the same. I do not have anything in high quality to take a picture, so that photo is all I got. :(

I want to believe it is just poop, but losing 2 bettas, one after the other when I haven't had a tropical fish loss in quite a while... :(

Edited by Gloyd

Could you remove the worm with some tweezers and see if it continues to move independently of the fish?

Ugh. I should have thought to do that! Can't believe it slipped my mind. :( I already buried her since she was turning all white and fungused >_< :( I still have my latest betta out but I do not see any worms coming out. :(

So sorry. :hug Hope you can find out what the problem is.

I am sorry :( I just lost my Betta today from who knows what :( RIP to your 2 Bettas and mine.

Thanks for the condolences everyone. It really helps. :)

I just woke up to my last betta dead... Now I really don't think that it is just a normal death reaction. Can this thread be marked as a higher priority or something? I am really scared for the rest of my fish now... If anyone can diagnose this, I need to start treating right away. :(

So all 3 bettas dead in a few days and my platy is wasting away. And I really don't think she is going to make it...

I see that my female betta has lost her colour completely on one patch if that is any significance. I attached pictures...

IMGP1851.jpg

And here is my platy... She went like this over night...

IMGP1850.jpg

Again, I have neons and rummy tetras in there and I thought they were fragile... but all my other fish are dying off first. I wonder what is going on. :(

This is completely anecdotal but when my platy tank had camallanus worms the fish appeared bloated and the worms would protrude from their anal vent. Like mulitple red/brown worms just sticking out. It almost looked like poop if you didn't pay attention.

I pay more attentions to the goldies honestly haha, so I am unsure if I have viewed any of the tropicals poop... :( I think it might be those callamanus worms too... Argh...

I might start treating for those right now... I do not share cleaning equipment but I do share the same sink with water changes... How likely is it that the goldies are infected? Can I treat the goldies too? And will the medicine harm the goldies if they happen to not have the worms? :(