How to clean a used 125 gallon tank?

Hello, I just bought a 125 tank for the 9 babies of my goldfish, more like teenage now.. I was tired of cleaning to many aquariums.

Anyhow, I can't clean it like usual outside as it's too big to turn over.

I was thinking of using my python and putting maybe a quarter of water and using just water?? and rinsing everywhere with the python? and then suck it up and redo that till needed.

The problem is I have no clue if the fish had any disease before. I'm pretty sure it was use for salt water fish.

Will it be enough or should I used vinegar or other product to make sure it's bacteria pathogen free?

but then I won't be sure 100% if they're no product left in the aquarium has a python always leave a bit of water at the bottom.

Your thoughts?

thanks,

Nadine.

I faced the same problem a few months ago! Not an easy task.

I did pretty much what you described - filled it partially, scrubbed/washed, emptied and rinsed. Repeat.

I was going to say to use something other than your python but just realized that I used my siphon! :rofl I ran hot hot water through it once I was finished though...... And used a lot of vinegar in the tank.... And then bleach the next time. And probably more bleach after that. :o

When you're done be sure to get plenty of prime all over every surface. And then do that a few more times if you're unsure. :rofl I'd rather waste a ton of time and be thorough than wonder if I skimped. :idont

Good luck, and congrats on your new tank: :D

Also, do you know when this tank last had fish?

Was it sitting for months and bone dry, running empty for a while, had living fish in right up til you came to get it? :idont

I think it was empty for a month or more? She told me she sold her fish back to big al's (a fish store).

But by the look of it;bone dry and the dust on the stand it must of been empty for at least a month or more.

;

Thanks for your advice and tips, I will then proceed as you said...I really hope no bleach will be there when I put the fish, I will rinse and rinse and use prime..seems like at least a day work. yikes....

Well don't take my word for it, but I think that a month is plenty time to kill harmful fish things. So I don't think you'll have to go too crazy with it. :)

Not everybody uses bleach - if you prefer vinegar then by all means use that.

I'm sure others will chime in soon. :)

Bleach is gone when the tank or any other non porous object dries completely. If you are bleaching something porous that won't dry completely, you need to rinse it until you don't smell bleach then soak it in water with an excess of dechlorinater.

Vinegar at full strength is a weaker disinfectant than bleach diluted 1:20. Vinegar is fine for light household disinfection like wiping down kitchen counters, not for serious disinfection. http://www.livingonadime.com/vinegar-disinfect-as-well-as-bleach/#comments

I would recommending using bleach and then letting it dry completely like Sharon said. Vinegar may not be strong enough, even if it has been dry for a while.

I used bleach to clean my used tank. I bought it from the seller the same day he emptied it, but it sat in my living room for about 2 months before I added anything to it ... yes, it took me that long to decide what I wanted to do with it! The most annoying part was trying to remove all the little pieces of gravel and cleaning around the edges ... for some reason it gets really dirty around there.

I would use baby sterilising solution!!... Then refill and add dechlorinator!!..then empty refill ready to go!!

I used a bleach solution at 1part bleach to 9 parts water and scrubbed the crap out of it. Then I filled completely adding double prime, drained, filled again adding double prime and called it good.

I did have some water crusties at the top and used vinigar to take care of that before I bleached.

Congrats on the upgrade! I'm sure you'll love big tank life! I do! :D

Good grief! haha looks likes you had lots of fun! :no:

Thanks again (was wondering about the part bleach / water).

Will have other questions about the aquarium once I finish cleaning :hummm

Hopefully this week

Good grief! haha looks likes you had lots of fun! :no:

Thanks again (was wondering about the part bleach / water).

Will have other questions about the aquarium once I finish cleaning :hummm

Hopefully this week

Haha well that part did suck as hard as filling it with buckets.... :thud I didn't have a python yet...