My Fussy Fish Prefer Eating Oranges To Flakes

fourfish

Hello there,is it possible to ruin a goldfish`s appetite for normal flake food by giving them other things like oranges or peas .

i have started trying to vary the fish`s food, but after feeding them orange and peas a few times they now seem to leave the flake food, they normally ate with no problem, they did eat it at first before i ever give them any orange or peas ,if i knew oranges and peas could provide them with all the nutrition they need i would give it them all the time but i`m pretty sure that wouldn`t be the case. any advice is very welcome ,thanks David

To answer your question- no, peas and oranges do not provide necessary nutrition to goldfish. Peas, although fine to feed, can cause gas for goldfish if fed frequently. Oranges should only be fed as an absolute treat. I wouldn't feed oranges more than once a month. They are quite high in sugar and are no where near the goldfish's natural diet.

Goldfish are omnivores, meaning they eat both plant matter and meat. Peas and oranges would not provide any significant amount of protein to the fish.

I'd also like to point out that flakes are not the ideal food for goldfish, especially fancies, because:

-they float, so the fish will frequently swallow air when eating the flake off the surface. Excess air inside the goldfish's digestive tract may lead to buoyancy.

-flakes are so super thin, the minute they hit the water, they are almost instantly leeching out their vitamins and nutrients. This is why soaking them to make them sink is essentially useless. By the time the fish eats it, they are pretty much eating nothing.

-there aren't any good quality flakes out there to begin with. Usually pet stores have generic big-brand names in flake food, and they aren't very good at all. They are mostly filled with fillers and preservatives. I'm sure there are some better-made flakes online, but it's just not worth it in the long run to feed flakes.

-flakes expand when coming in contact with water, so when the goldfish swallows it, it expands in their intestines, causing digestive upsets and possibly buoyancy.

Now that I have covered that, I'd like to provide you some suggestions on alternative foods to feed your goldfish.

Feed pellets as your main protein source. There are some great, quality brands out there, such as New Life Spectrum. I'd suggest the 1 mm goldfish formula. The pellets are quite small, great for small fish. Even if your fish are not on the smaller side, eating smaller pellets is considerably easier to be digested for the fish, no matter how big the fish is. Another great choice is Omega One. This one should be available at almost every chain pet store. Again, great quality pellet with great ingredients. Make sure you get the smallest size. Make sure the pellets say they are sinking.

As for a plant source, peas are fine to feed, just not as frequently as every day. You can alternatively feed your goldfish a plethora of other vegetables, some of them must be blanched, however. These include zucchini, carrot, broccoli, kale, and many different types of lettuces and spinach. Red Leaf Lettuce is a popular lettuce to feed for goldfish, as it is so soft that it usually does not require blanching.

You can also feed your goldfish Repashy gel food. It comes in a powder and you mix it with hot water. It contains a lot of algae matter and plant matter. Soilent Green and Super Green are the two primary kinds to feed for goldfish. Soilent has more animal proteins while Super focuses more on plant and algae matter.

I hope I was helpful to you, David. Feel free to ask any questions if you are confused. This forum is full of knowledgeable and kind members. Welcome! :)

Thank you Georgia ,that is excellent info ,just what i was looking for ,by the way i did soak the flakes before feeding them . It is a shame about the oranges cause they love them ,they are sat :whistle in their tank staring at me waiting for their orange piece even as i type this message .ok i will be on the case right away thanks very much for your help, all the best David

sorry you never answered my underlying question , but do fish develop a preference for types of food like a kid preferring sweets etc.or kind of develop a sweet tooth (or should i say gums) . ta

sorry you never answered my underlying question , but do fish develop a preference for types of food like a kid preferring sweets etc.or kind of develop a sweet tooth (or should i say gums) . ta

This is certainly possible, in your case. The goldfish may have turned their noses up to the flakes because they probably had no flavor to them, being that you said you soaked them. The oranges and peas must have been much more tasty. Personally, I have not experienced goldfish becoming stubborn with their food, and I don't think it is a common occurrence. I have heard of people introducing new foods like lettuce and gel food, and their goldfish did not take to them at first. It was until the keeper kept persistently feeding it that the goldfish understood it was food.

I'm quite confident your goldfish will take to pellet foods. In my experience with my goldfish, they all gobbled up pellets the first time I gave it to them. You might see the fish eating and spitting out the food several times, this is normal. They are sort of testing the food, but still have interest in it.

Also, there is one crucial thing I forgot to mention in my original post-- frozen food! Goldies go crazy for it. It's another great protein source along with pellets. They come in a variety of critters, the most popular being frozen bloodworms. You can also try Brine Shrimp (also has great laxative properties) Mysis shrimp, etc. etc. Remember not to get anything freeze-dried, because they expand just like pellets.

Georgia pretty much covered it.[emoji1]

Variety is great, but all of the foods offered should be healthy for the fish. Fruit is not great for fish because of the high sugar content and low nutritional value for their dietary needs.

The Repashy gel foods are an excellent staple food, as are high-quality pellets such as NLS Thera-A, Pro Gold and Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish. I feed my fish all four, and have seen amazing growth and health. The ingredients and nutritional content are superior, and my fish like them too. Since your fish have been eating oranges, they might go for gel food over pellets since the texture is more similar.

I once had a stubborn goldfish who had eaten flakes all her life and just REFUSED to eat anything else. She would take a bite of the Soilent Green and then spit it out immediately. The food refusal stopped after several days, though, when she realized she wasn't getting any more flakes. [emoji6]

I would just stop them cold turkey on the oranges. I would be very surprised if a goldfish starved itself for more than a few days, but even if they don't eat for several days, they'll be OK.

Edited by *Amanda*