Help reading Nitrate in Tap water

I just did an 80% wc and tested the tank a bit after that and the nitrates were at 10 ppm so I then tested the tap and it was almost 10 ppm maybe 8. Is this possible? I've tested the tap many times before and never had Nitrate in it, What do I do?

You can get nitrates out of the tap. I get ammonia and nitrate out of my tap, but both are quite low and are processed out by my filter and plants. 10ppm out of the tap isn't so bad, there are some members with nitrates at 40ppm out of the tap. I would look at getting a few terrestrial plants to place in a filter/roots in tank. These types of plants thrive on nitrate and with enough you can significantly reduce nitrate levels. Pothos and lucky bamboo are quite popular. :)

I would also check to make sure your test kit hasn't expired. You can always also contact your water company and enquire as to why you are now seeing nitrate.

I checked 3 times and each time was the same. I have well water and have never had nitrates in it before so this is odd.the test kit doesn't expire until 2019

Try testing them tomorrow. I know when my town does something with the water, the pH usually drops to about 6.6-6.8 from it's regular 7.4-7.6.

Maybe it's just a fluke thing. I will test again tomorrow. I like to keep the nitrates 10 or below so starting out at 10 is not good.

Edited by shihpuff

I will try the pothos, so I put them right in the filter?

Yep!! In time they will attach them selves on to your media, but when you need to clean out your filters they come right out with a little tug

I will try the pothos, so I put them right in the filter?

Yep!! In time they will attach them selves on to your media, but when you need to clean out your filters they come right out with a little tug

cool! I will try and find some tomorrow. Now with the bamboo would it be better to grow that in the tank itself?

Technically the stems of lucky bamboo shouldn't be submersed either. It's not actually bamboo. Placing things in a HOB filter or a breeder box/shower caddy/floating colander would be the easiest.

Or if you have a lid you can set them on that with the roots in the water

suju3ede.jpg

Looks good across the tank :)

uru5asu3.jpg