Thoughts on some HOBs

People underestimate the Aqueons. I really loved mine.

I don't underestimate them; I have the 55 model for years now and the flow from that thing is insane when the water level drops...makes a nice torrent of current across the surface...

It also seems to work a lot better in mechanical filtration than my AquaClear 110 if you can believe that (I'm about to start a thread about this) -- seems the 110 never picks anything up in its sponge when I rinse it out in removed tank water, while the carbon cartridges of the Aqueon normally release really brown, gunky debris when I rinse them...

But yeah, people definitely underestimate the Aqueons and really poo-poo them on all the sites as being "cheap," "for amateurs only" and other such nonsense which I totally disagree with (I mean, look at my avatar!)...

I don't underestimate them; I have the 55 model for years now and the flow from that thing is insane when the water level drops...makes a nice torrent of current across the surface...

It also seems to work a lot better in mechanical filtration than my AquaClear 110 if you can believe that (I'm about to start a thread about this) -- seems the 110 never picks anything up in its sponge when I rinse it out in removed tank water, while the carbon cartridges of the Aqueon normally release really brown, gunky debris when I rinse them...

But yeah, people definitely underestimate the Aqueons and really poo-poo them on all the sites as being "cheap," "for amateurs only" and other such nonsense which I totally disagree with (I mean, look at my avatar!)...

How often did you clean the AquaClear and did you run a prefilter on it?

I don't run a prefilter on mine...

I don't run a prefilter on mine...

Just makin' sure.

About the cleaning: The reason I ask is because with clear filters like ACs, people tend to want to clean it more because they can actually kinda see in there.

What IS in your avatar, CT?

What IS in your avatar, CT?

A lady friend of mine havin' some "fun" with her tank...

What's in yours??!!

Edited by ClinicaTerraLTD

AC110 for my 55 gallon.

Smaller (forget the next one down) for my 20 gallon.

I decided on the AC's because there is pretty little to my set up: tank, fish, a couple of plants and the filter.

Besides the fish, the most important thing was good filtration.

Never hear any consistently bad reviews about AC filters, so that made my decision easy.

I just wish I knew if I had "enough" media in my 110 because I'm only running the sponge and BioMax...

If your parameters are running ideally, and your tank is clear, then you have enough...

I just wish I knew if I had "enough" media in my 110 because I'm only running the sponge and BioMax...

That sounds like plenty to me - that's exactly what I run on my HOBs. The beneficial bacteria would grow even if you just had a sponge; the BioMax lets you grow even more. :)

That sounds like plenty to me - that's exactly what I run on my HOBs. The beneficial bacteria would grow even if you just had a sponge; the BioMax lets you grow even more. :)

Thanks Amanda; I'm going to respond to your comments in my specific 110 thread as soon as I can...

Do you run just ONE sponge and the BioMax? That's all I run in my 110...the one block (which seems like it's getting to the replacement stage based on what everyone told me in my other thread) and two smaller sacks of BioMax pellets on top of that...

Seems like there's room for much more though...

You can add more sponges for mechanical filtration or more BioMax for holding beneficial bacteria, but as long as you don't have ammonia and there isn't any debris in your tank, I don't see a reason to :)

You can add more sponges for mechanical filtration or more BioMax for holding beneficial bacteria, but as long as you don't have ammonia and there isn't any debris in your tank, I don't see a reason to :)

This actually touches on something I was gonna discuss in my other thread; is it best to simply add a second sponge if my current one is seeming "coarse" and "brittle" and no longer keeping shape...or should I replace this old one altogether even though it may be housing some BB?

This actually touches on something I was gonna discuss in my other thread; is it best to simply add a second sponge if my current one is seeming "coarse" and "brittle" and no longer keeping shape...or should I replace this old one altogether even though it may be housing some BB?
Chances are, your current sponge has quite a bit of BBs. What you could do is add a new sponge without taking out the current one, and leave both in the filter for a few weeks. Then you can remove the old sponge, and the new sponge will have some BB on it which will readily grow when the older sponge is removed! You just want to have both in there for a while so the new one has some time to grow some BB. If you just remove the current one and add the new one, I imagine you'll have quite a bump. You may experience a slight bump even if you use both for a couple weeks, but it won't be as bad as it would be if you hadn't taken the time to grow some BB on the new sponge beforehand.

Thanks Amanda; I'm going to respond to your comments in my specific 110 thread as soon as I can...

Do you run just ONE sponge and the BioMax? That's all I run in my 110...the one block (which seems like it's getting to the replacement stage based on what everyone told me in my other thread) and two smaller sacks of BioMax pellets on top of that...

Seems like there's room for much more though...

Yes, I run one sponge and the BioMax in my HOBs. I use the blue-and-white sponge from Drs. Foster and Smith. That's all I have room for in my HOBs. I know the AC has quite a bit more room. If you'd like, you could add a 50- or 100-micron polishing pad after the BioMax. That's what I do on my canister. It polishes the water more as it goes back into the tank by trapping the really fine particles that got through the previous filtration.

And I agree with Justin re: leaving the old sponge in there for a couple of weeks after adding the new one, if you can manage it. The sponge looks pretty big, though - I'm not able to leave the old beige filter pad in my canister after adding the new one, and the Hagen sponge looks similar. If not, perhaps you could cut it in half? This would help prevent you from tossing out too much bacteria, but if you aren't able to, the BioMax has plenty of bacteria in it.