Why is my goldfish biting the other fish's tail/fins?

andry6

I just got two babies almost three weeks ago. One I believe is a comet and the other is a common. Both around 3 grams.

Currently they are in a 13 gallon QT tank (which is really a plastic tub). I have been using salt and prazipro and have been doing frequent 100% water changes. I am also running a filter and air stone in the tank and water parameters are good. Today is the beginning of round 4 of the prazi.

Yesterday, I noticed that the comet's tail was starting to look frayed. I watched him for a little while to check his behavior and saw the common go up to him and start chewing on his tail! :mad: This morning when I checked on him his dorsal fin is now all chewed up and he's at it again! :bat:

Why is he doing this and how do I stop it? :help:

• Supporter

hun, would you be able to take a video of this behaviour? it could be bullying or something else. it would be great if we can see it happening, perhaps seeing it happen will provide us some clues :)

I will do my best. He doesn't do it all the time so I'm going to have to catch him in the act! :)

edited to ask:

Is it possible for them to do that when they are hungry?

It just dawned on me that we were out of town for 3 days and they were without food. He wasn't biting before we left and now he is. I put a bunch of pellets in there (because I will be doing a water change shortly so I will be removing whatever they don't eat) and now he is just sitting next to the other one not bothering him a bit! (It figures...now that I'm trying to get a video!)

Edited by andry6

Simply put, it's a jerk. It may be unhappy about sharing space, the other fish being in it's territory, or something of that nature. You may be able to reverse the behavior by removing them for a while, doing a water change, moving all the decor around, and putting them back. I read that on this forum a while back.

Simply put, it's a jerk. It may be unhappy about sharing space, the other fish being in it's territory, or something of that nature. You may be able to reverse the behavior by removing them for a while, doing a water change, moving all the decor around, and putting them back. I read that on this forum a while back.

Separating the fish worked for me. I had a bully once, except he was harassing ALL the fish in the tank, even though he was the smallest. No damage was caused though; the other fish were just annoyed. I placed him in a colander floating in the tank overnight and after I released him, he never repeated the behavior again. :)

Separating the fish worked for me. I had a bully once, except he was harassing ALL the fish in the tank, even though he was the smallest. No damage was caused though; the other fish were just annoyed. I placed him in a colander floating in the tank overnight and after I released him, he never repeated the behavior again. :)

Oh my goodness! A fishy time-out :rofl3

• Supporter

how are they doing? still behaving themselves? i had a 'naughty tank' for one of my bullies. it sorted him out after being in isolation for a few weeks. every now and again he would need to revisit the naughty tank. eventually he stayed friendly.

Well, he seems to have stopped.

Every time I go near the tank with the camera they just swim around like nothing is going on and then hang out next to each other.

I'm thinking he must have been hungry? :idont

Oh my goodness! A fishy time-out :rofl3
Haha I've heard people call it the Sin Bin before. :rofl

Glad to hear that the behavior seems to have stopped! I think he just lost interest; that happens. I once had 2 new telescopes from the same tank that I was quarantining together. One chased the other around, with its head up the other's butt endlessly. I had thought it was spawning behavior, but the chaser turned out to be a girl! [emoji6]