WHAT is this?

Reds12

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's hanging in there. I put an extra bubbler in with them and took the water temp down a touch since she was gasping pretty badly, and it seems to have helped. My guy is a little swollen and gaspy but seems happy enough scrounding around the floor like usual and wiggling his bum around like an overly happy puppy.

I actually have two questions...first, once flukes are cleared up, do I need to do anything to help clear up any extra mucus in her gills or will it clear itself? And two, they both seem to be retaining some fluid...should I leave that alone for now or go ahead with a touch of epsom salts?

Thank you for asking ;)

I think you can go ahead and add some Epsom, if you like.

As for the extra slime coat, that should go away once the irritant (flukes etc) is eliminated. :)

Good morning! So things are going ok so far. Sunday afternoon my girl started floating upside down so I started feeding boiled peas...she had a HUGE bowel movement and as of this morning is righted again. She looks a lot happier and is swimming around and eating voraciously.

I did notice that one of them has a reddish black dot on her - its small and hasn't gotten any bigger. The other has some dark red to the tip of his fin. I've attached pictures just incase its something to be concerned with.

Somewhat random side note: I decided I just need to get a much larger tank for them...they were more sensitive to their environment after having dropsy so I'm imagining they will be even moreso after this and it will be so much easier to stabilize water parameters with them in a larger volume of water...so my husband and I decided to browse around local aquatic stores to see what is available and I must say I've found a couple of hidden gems. I guess there really is a silver lining to every cloud. :)

I've also attached a video clip of them this morning...a far cry from a fish I was having to stimulate to breath just this weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2vCqNdTKg&list=UU1IrYVJ6U4qywj4HElR7plg

george_zps2197004b.jpgwiggles_zpsbfa58cba.jpg

Wow, she is looking good!

Alex or a mod will be able to let you know what to do about the reddish black dot and the red on the fin.

Did you end up getting a new tank? Also consider craigslist for deals.

I found a wholesale aquarium supplier that will sell me a 60 gallon visio for $75 bucks. I might go for that one :) I have kept my eye on craigslist though...nothing really yet.

I found a wholesale aquarium supplier that will sell me a 60 gallon visio for $75 bucks. I might go for that one :) I have kept my eye on craigslist though...nothing really yet.

Craigslist is hit or miss. I only use it if I'm in no hurry. That sounds like a great deal, though!

Right?! I mean, I have seen quite a few but people tend to hold a higher value in their used tank then there really is. Sure, they discount a tank that retails for $100 down to $80 but for me, I'd rather spend the extra $20 and get something clean and new.

Right?! I mean, I have seen quite a few but people tend to hold a higher value in their used tank then there really is. Sure, they discount a tank that retails for $100 down to $80 but for me, I'd rather spend the extra $20 and get something clean and new.

Right?! :rofl That's exactly how I feel! There are people who try to get like 80% of their money back after their stuff has been used. It's ridiculous. I find the only time people offer good deals are when they NEED to get rid of them. That's when I try to grab them, because they need to sell it. And then there are the people that try to buy tanks at PetCo during the dollar per gallon sale and mark them up. When I sell stuff, I try to mark it down off of what I bought it by at least 50%, unless I bought it used.

I think 50% off is a fair price for a used tank, as long as it's in good condition. That said, if the tank has a really cool stand, I would be willing to pay more - but not too much more. There was a lady selling a 40B acrylic tank for $300. I almost went for it because it had a gorgeous custom-built wooden stand with a lid that had a handle. But when I offered her $275, she never replied back to me - plus she lived 2 hours away. Acrylic tanks are much more expensive, but not necessary for a GF tank, so I decided not to go for it and ended up getting an awesome tank with stand for $150. [emoji4]

How's it going now?

Pretty good! They are both active, eating, and being quite social with me. George's gills look great. I honestly have never seen them be able to open so much. She still tires, but I expect that to take a little time...

I'm still curious about the bubble things on their head though, as those haven't changed...I can't find a thing anywhere about anything that might be similar.

How's it going now?

Pretty good! They are both active, eating, and being quite social with me. George's gills look great. I honestly have never seen them be able to open so much. She still tires, but I expect that to take a little time...

I'm still curious about the bubble things on their head though, as those haven't changed...I can't find a thing anywhere about anything that might be similar.

Good to hear they are doing well! Regarding George's gills, she is probably getting relief from the gill flukes that are being done a way with. Can you do a summary post that indicates the meds used and how many days the treatment has been happening. I know that Alex required 14 days of treatment. I think it was Day 1 meds/Prime, Day 2 Prime, Day 3 100% wc meds/Prime, Day 4 Prime, so on and so on until Day 14, correct? Remind us of the treatment plan so that Alex or another mod doesn't have to re-read the thread. Thanks!

If one of the mods doesn't respond by the morning on the bubble things, I'll "report" the post so that it gets the mods attention.

Edited by LisaCGold

I'm watching the thread, but as Lisa has been extremely helpful and willing to provide suggestions, etc., I simply observe most of the time.

I'm glad that there has been improvement! It's fantastic! :)

I'm still confused as to why acrylic tanks are so much more expensive. They yellow, the weight difference is minimal and not very handy if you're not moving the tank all the time, and they scratch very easily. That said, they can be repaired, whereas glass cannot be, but glass doesn't scratch really at all unless due to inappropriate handling/care. Quite weird. Maybe so many are damaged in stores/in shipping the cost goes up for the manufacturer. :idont

• Admin

I'm still confused as to why acrylic tanks are so much more expensive. They yellow, the weight difference is minimal and not very handy if you're not moving the tank all the time, and they scratch very easily. That said, they can be repaired, whereas glass cannot be, but glass doesn't scratch really at all unless due to inappropriate handling/care. Quite weird. Maybe so many are damaged in stores/in shipping the cost goes up for the manufacturer. :idont

We can have a topic about this Justin... There are some good reasons for an Acylic tank and other times no.... :)

I'm watching the thread, but as Lisa has been extremely helpful and willing to provide suggestions, etc., I simply observe most of the time.

I'm glad that there has been improvement! It's fantastic! :)

Alex, any concern about the "bubbles" not yet going away? Fish have been on General Cure since Aug 2.

Edited by LisaCGold

How's it going now?

Good to hear they are doing well! Regarding George's gills, she is probably getting relief from the gill flukes that are being done a way with. Can you do a summary post that indicates the meds used and how many days the treatment has been happening. I know that Alex required 14 days of treatment. I think it was Day 1 meds/Prime, Day 2 Prime, Day 3 100% wc meds/Prime, Day 4 Prime, so on and so on until Day 14, correct? Remind us of the treatment plan so that Alex or another mod doesn't have to re-read the thread. Thanks!

If one of the mods doesn't respond by the morning on the bubble things, I'll "report" the post so that it gets the mods attention.

Thanks guys! Ok, so this is a summary of what I did...

Aug 1 - Day 1 - 100% water change (into QT), prime, and a hydrogen peroxide dip before heading into QT

Day 2 - 100% water change, prime, general cure, furan-2

Day 3 - prime

Day 4 - 100% water change, prime, general cure, furan-2, epsom salts

Aug 5 - Day 5 - prime

Day 6 - 100% water change, prime, general cure, furan-2, epsom salts

Day 7 - prime

Day 8 - 100% water change, prime, general cure, furan-2, epsom salts ---> I'm d/c the epsom salts today as I don't feel they need them anymore - day 4 of GC + Furan2 so I'm going to d/c today and see how it goes.

I've also been feeding peas to help with the belly yuck antibiotics can give and some of the bloating, and keeping water a touch cooler to help with oxygen saturation.

As of today, the red streaks in the tail are significantly reduced, scales are no longer pineconed, facial edema in gone, the black "dot" on George has faded. They're both eating. Gills looks MUCH more open and respiration is with much less effort. They're also being very social again :)

However, the head "blister" thing doesn't look any smaller...it hasn't gotten bigger since starting meds, which is great, but I still have zero idea what it is. :\

Note - the HP dip was before I knew what to do, and I thought G was on her way out.

Thanks for the thorough update.

Alex suggested at least 10 days on the meds, possibly 14. This helps to ensure that the bacteria is eliminated so that it doesn't become antibiotic resistant. Please continue for at least a couple more days.

Edited by LisaCGold

May we have some update pics, and a video, if possible?

Lisa, I am not particularly concerned at this time about the bubbles, but am asking for new pics to see. Thank you for having stayed so well on top of this thread (and others)! :)

I would like to remind everyone that this is first and foremost a D&D thread, and until we reach satisfactory resolution (which is 100% health for the fish), let's strive to stay on topic. :)

Reds, I am very happy with the continued improvements. :D

Alex suggested at least 10 days on the meds, possibly 14. This helps to ensure that the bacteria is eliminated so that it doesn't become antibiotic resistant. Please continue for at least a couple more days.

Sure :) Should I continue both the general cure and the furan-2? I'll run out of F2 in a couple of days so I'll go pick up more today if need be.

Alex, I'll get some photos/video shortly and post them up. Thanks again everyone!

Sure :) Should I continue both the general cure and the furan-2? I'll run out of F2 in a couple of days so I'll go pick up more today if need be.

Alex, I'll get some photos/video shortly and post them up. Thanks again everyone!

Yes, continue both until Alex says it is safe to stop. If today is the only time you can pick up the F2, then so do. Otherwise a couple more days of it may be enough.