• Ammonia Level(Tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank): ~5 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap): 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank: 8.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap: 8.4
  • I'm on well water and the Ph shot up last week, this is the first time this has happened. How can I get it down????
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used: API liquid
    • * Water temperature: 74
    • * Tank size: 55 gallon - long
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s) Aqueon 55/75 (400gph)
    • * How often do you change the water and how much?: 50% 2x a week. When she shows redness any where I up it to 50% every other day.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: Yesterday 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?: One single tail approx. 6 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?: Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?: NLS sinking pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?: no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?: Yesterday I added a dose of Prazi Pro and began salting. I added the first does of salt in the morning and the second twelve hours later. If advised I will add the third dose this evening.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment: I treated with salt and prazi about 6 years ago, I dont remember the amount or duration. Over the last 6 years she has been medicated once with MM, once with API erythromycin, and once with API Tetracycline.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?: Ive had Goldie Hahn for about 6 years, she has periodically (every few months) gotten red "sores" (I say sores but they are dark red patches on her belly and around the base of her fins, where the fins meet her body) and red streaked fins. These often clear up with no treatment whats ever but occasionally Ive had to medicate her. This particular outbreak she has red, inflamed gills and a few other red patches on her body.
  • Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?: She will hover at the bottom of the tank which is normal for her, lately shes been clamping her fins and it appreas that shes "lopsided" as though her left fins arent always working properly.

Im at a loss, every time she gets better I think shes beat this thing and will stay healthy but it always comes back - sometimes within a few days, sometimes it may be months. I thought that there may have been an issue with my water, something I wasnt testing for, that was causing these problems, but I moved to another state last August and the problems have continued. This is the first goldfish Ive owned and Ive been doing the best I can but it doesnt seem like its good enough. Im wondering if this "outbreak" is made worse because of the high Ph??? Is there a way for me to get it down.

Any advice/ suggestions on what may be going on and how to get the Ph down will be greatly appreciated.

Im going to try to upload some photos using photo bucket.

Thank you!

Wendy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pH as is, is not a problem for your fish. I don't suggest doing anything to alter it, stable is best. :) I have well water as well and it fluctuates slowly throughout the year. As long as you're above 7, let it be. :D

I'd definitely continue the prazi. It's likely that the red spots you're seeing are irritations from flukes and should clear up with the prazi and salt.

Here's a great schedule for a prazi treatment.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

I'll wait for a mod to give a suggestion on anything else and when/if you should repeat it next.

Can you get a Video or Photos for us... that would help out alot :)

:bingo::D Edited by Chai

2013-2014787_zpsa79d5eff.jpg

2013-2014785_zps135f064b.jpg

2013-2014782_zpsd994fff7.jpg

2013-2014709_zps7387305e.jpg

I didnt notice this until just now when looking at the photos: in the third photo is looks as though something isnt right with her pectoral fin, it looks "fleshy" at the base where it meets her body. Maybe this explains the "lopsidedness" I've noticed over the last few day.

Thank you for the info on the Ph and the treatment schedule for the Prazi.

Can all of this be caused by flukes? I treated for flukes when I first got her but Im sure that it wasnt at the dosages called for in the link Chai attached above. I think that it was at the dosage that the bottle list. Could that treatment simply not have done the job?

She has already begun to look better since this morning, some of the redness on her body and fins has started to fade, although her gills are still redder than they sholuld be. Her pectoral fin looks about the same as it did when I took the photo this morning.

I will follow the pinned instructions for Prazi treatment, and post updates of how she's doing.

Please let me know if theres anything else I should be doing.

It could be flukes for sure. You can't totally eliminate flukes. Some will survive the extensive protocol Cat linked for you. Because of this many of us do a routine prazi treatment every 4-6 months. When I do this, I simply add prazi after my weekly WC, no salt needed. :D

Keep us posted on how he does.

Flukes can also leave openings in the slime coat/skin for pathogenic bacteria to sneak in, which is a very good reason to treat for flukes periodically as Lisa mentioned.

I recently learned about the comprehensive Prazi treatment, and treated my fish in this way (I had been treating every 6 months, but just per the instructions on the bottle, which isn't enough for a bad infestation since the flukes lay eggs that must also be killed once hatched). She is much healthier now. I hope your fish will have the same good results. :)

Amanda - I hope that I get the results you got. It would be so nice to have her happy and healthy!

I didnt know I needed to treat periodically, I will definitely do so in the future.

I'm on day 4 of the prazi/salt protocol (salt is at 0.3 with double dose of prank). Goldie was doing much better, fins and body have cleared up- no redness anywhere. She has been eating really well although this afternoon she was less interested in food than normal. Just now I checked on her and she's bottom sitting and her fins are clamped. She does swim around if I approach the tank. I'm not due to change her water until tomorrow but I'm wondering if maybe I should do it tonight instead? Or is this typical behavior during treatment??

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Ph: 8.5

I have metro meds, API E.M. erythromycin, and API T.C. tetracycline.

When I woke up this morning she was about the same, bottom sitting with her fins clamped. She does perk up if she sees my but quickly settles back down on the bottom. Today is day 5 of flukes treatment so I did a 50% water change; I have not replaced the salt yet, I wanted to wait and see if I should still do so.

After the water change I dropped a few pellets in for her and she put one in her mouth and spat it out without even chewing then went back to resting on the bottom. This is the first time she's ever not eaten, no matter how I'll she was in the past she always ate.

Her gills look swollen too. I'm afraid I'll lose her this time.

I took a video this morning, I'll post it shortly.

Thank you all for your help and support!

I have to take my dog to the vet this morning so if there is a particular medication that would be good to have on hand in case I need it please let me know.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1078.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw497%2Fwndywees1%2Fdianesphone799_zpseb68ab5d.mp4&title=">

I haven't been able to post a video, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I attempted to do it the same as I did the photos but it didn't work. It's it different than posting photos? Sorry, I don't do much with video so I'm clueless.

DSC_1222_zpsb812ab76.jpg

DSC_1216_zpse64344b6.jpg

Ive included photos in case the video still wont work. To summarize the latest issues, these began yesterday evening:

bottom sitting with clamped fins

quit eating

swollen gills, labored breathing

I may be imagining this but it looks as though something is wrong with the bottom of her mouth, like its caved in??

Today is day 5 of prazi/salt treatment for flukes. I did the 50% water change this morning but have not yet replaced salt - waiting to make sure i should still do so with current issues.

ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5ppm

Ph: 8.5

Meds on hand: MM, API Tetracycline, API Erythromycin.

Not sure what to do at this point. Through all of her bouts shes always eaten, Ive never known her not to eat.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :help:

I'd like you to call around and see if you can find powdered metronidazole. The large chain stores won't have it but if you have a locally owned pet shop they might. I'd like to use this along with the erythromycin. You may be able to get it from the vet also. :idont

Okay I ordered the meds, should be here by Wednesday (possibly tomorrow). Should i wait until I get the powdered metro and begin both medications together, or should I start with the erythromycin now. Also, do I need to remove the salt while medicating?

I really appreciate your help!