Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

What would I need yo do to have Dwarf Hairgrass thrive in a 10G tank?

My 10 gallon betta tank is getting torn down and redone while my new betta is in QT. There is one neon in there right now.

There is a filter & bubbler on/in the tank right now. The light I have on it is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Hidden-Lighting-Aquariums-17-Inch/dp/B0081FXWF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406733324&sr=8-1&keywords=marineland+hidden+light

This is what I want to cut to fit the bottom of the tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-BIG-dwarf-hairgrass-Mat-carpet-wall-Easy-Aquarium-aquascaping-planted-tank-/281394896143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4184715d0f

I have Flourish, Excel & root tabs. Would I have to use any or all of those?

I don't want to have to set up a Co2 system if I can help it, would dwarf hairgrass need it?

I have 2 bags of this:http://www.thatpetplace.com/activ-flora-premium-planted-substrate-floracor-blk-16lb?sc=10&category=2770

But really want to use that in my goldie tank, ;)

I contacted the seller and they said if I use Eco complete or Flourite & fertilizers, it should be fine with what I have. I emailed back asking what fertilizers. Would anyone here have an idea of what he meant?

My Ph is 7.4-7.6/ Gh&Kh change color with just one drop.

I've been adding baking soda to the calico's qt and will start doing that to Gumdrop & PB''s tank before the calico is out of QT. Would the betta tank/hairgrass need to baking soda as well?

Whoa!! That's a huge dwarf grass carpet. I'd loooove some of that in my goldfish tank.

Curious to see what's needed to keep that growing. :teehee

I've only ever used Flourish Excel, but I'm no longer planning to use it.

Edited by Chai

I just don't want to waist the $ just to have it die. (already killed enough plants and they weren't quite as expensive) The only thing I have seen thrive in there so far is a Dwarf Lily Plant. 2 swords did ok. No go on the Java and anubias or crypts. If I don't go with this, I probably will fill it with vals, but I want to hang a buttload of Pothos out of the top of the tank and worry that the vals will get caught in the roots. :hummm

Without knowing much about your water, substrate, and fertilization method, I'd say the light you have is insufficient for even low light at .06 watts. LEDs don't need to be high wattage to be effective for growing plants but I doubt that light is sufficient for growing dwarf hairgrass. Somebody more knowledgeable about led lights will chime in soon I'm sure. But I think a light upgrade is in the works. I use dry fertilizers in my tank, potassium sulfate, monopotasium phosphate, and Potassium nitrate, but stopped dosing the latter because my bioload took care of my need for nitrates. I also dose a trace element called Plantex CSM+B. All can be purchased at Greenleafaquariums.com. But I have high light and pressurized CO2. Additionally, your water is pretty soft, so you might want to look into a product called Seachem Equilibrium. It will help raise the mineral content of your water and raise GH.

I would suggests doing some research on different planted tank setups. Since you don't want to do pressurized or DIY co2, look into what's called low tech planted tanks with or without excel supplementation. If you dose excel and you can have higher lighting and some ferts, no excel, you want low to medium light to prevent algae and little to no ferts. Even with research you'll have questions. There are a few experienced planted tank folks here that are very helpful as you move along in your tank build.

When I get to my computer I'll paste some links I read when researching planted setups.

Without knowing much about your water, substrate, and fertilization method, I'd say the light you have is insufficient for even low light at .06 watts. LEDs don't need to be high wattage to be effective for growing plants but I doubt that light is sufficient for growing dwarf hairgrass. Somebody more knowledgeable about led lights will chime in soon I'm sure. But I think a light upgrade is in the works. I use dry fertilizers in my tank, potassium sulfate, monopotasium phosphate, and Potassium nitrate, but stopped dosing the latter because my bioload took care of my need for nitrates. I also dose a trace element called Plantex CSM+B. All can be purchased at Greenleafaquariums.com. But I have high light and pressurized CO2. Additionally, your water is pretty soft, so you might want to look into a product called Seachem Equilibrium. It will help raise the mineral content of your water and raise GH.

I would suggests doing some research on different planted tank setups. Since you don't want to do pressurized or DIY co2, look into what's called low tech planted tanks with or without excel supplementation. If you dose excel and you can have higher lighting and some ferts, no excel, you want low to medium light to prevent algae and little to no ferts. Even with research you'll have questions. There are a few experienced planted tank folks here that are very helpful as you move along in your tank build.

It looks like people are growing low light plants with that light.

If I were you, before I'd buy the $40 dwarf hairgrass mat, I'd buy a smaller, cheaper clump and see how that does in your tank. That way if it ends up dying, you aren't out as much money. :)

As for substrate and light requirements, what I've really had luck with to get my plants to grow has been using dirt in my aquariums. Before I'd have my plants last a while, then start losing leaves and dying off (except for the Java ferns). Now I have had luck with most of my plants, and I don't use any added Excel or CO2. The lights I have are just the simple, single flourescent tube lights that came with the aquariums (I don't know their specifics for certain). I got some hairgrass (not dwarf) a little over a week ago, and that stuff is very happy! It's already grown several inches in height, and has started to get above the water.

I've got four of my tanks with dirt in them (75, 40, 29, and 10 gallons). Giving it a try with your ten gallon might be worth a try :)

There's no point buying a mat that large. I think you would find it would die before it roots properly. The best way to plant hair grass is to split a pot into multiple plantlets (say 4-10 hairs per clump) and plant that. Dwarf hairgrass grows and grows once established, but I've noticed it seems to be the slowest growing thing in my tank. It certainly took a while to establish itself. It gets high light, fertilisers and carbon dioxide.

I second buying a test pot. :)

I think you would probably need a lighting upgrade to have a chance. People do keep dhg in low tech (medium light, no co2) tanks successfully, but you would want medium light and I don't think the lighting you have now is going to cut it. And I agree with Dan, don't get the carpet, get a couple small pots. It is definitely going to grow slower in lower light.

This was a low tech tank with stock lighting initially:

CIMG0006.jpg

DHG was alive, but took quite awhile to establish and begin sending any sort of runners.... but it was alive ;)

When I upgraded my lighting and began adding some small amount of co2 it took off.

So, I think its a plant that can work in a low tech tank, but I think you should have medium light levels to have the best chance of success :)

Ok, thanks guys! I was hoping the carpet would have a better chance of surviving. I think I will go with a boat load of corkscrew vals instead. They say low light and don't grow as long as the regular vals. And I can just use one of the bags of black Flourite substrate that I ordered awhile back.

Ok, thanks guys! I was hoping the carpet would have a better chance of surviving. I think I will go with a boat load of corkscrew vals instead. They say low light and don't grow as long as the regular vals. And I can just use one of the bags of black Flourite substrate that I ordered awhile back.

What about some dwarf sag for the foreground? Marselia minuta and quadrifolia are also good low light foreground plants if you can get your hands on some. They're slow growers through. Crypt parva is another good low lying low light plant :)

You can see parva to the left of the dhg in the pic I posted