Goldfish Owner "Must-Have" items?

I am a new Goldfish owner an I am going shopping soon in several days to get my new Goldfish some things. I want to know what essential Must-Have items that every Goldfish owner should have on hand that I should be sure to get.

I am already going to get Prazi and I'll look for a scale or two so I can weigh my fish and weigh his food portions. Not sure what to look for in these kinds of scales so can anyone give me some info on that and where to buy?

So what else should I look for to buy?

:thanks From Dreamsicle and I :icecream

I liked my battery operated gravel cleaner, but I don't think it is a must have. It allowed me to keep my bare bottom tank poo-free in between water changes, and skimmed the muck off the top of my sand in the 2nd tank.

I also liked my reusable filter media (which I would rinse in clean tank water) instead of the disposable HOB type cartridges.

Must haves?

a. Seachem's Prime for dechlorination and water conditioning. There are others but this one seems to be respected.

b. great filtration whatever you decide on

c. a thermometer - if you have lights on your hood the top layer of water of the tank can heat up

d. Some way of adding oxygen to the water: air stone or the like

e. A test kit. API's master is easy to use, and I'd add the KH and GH one too.

Have fun shopping!

I liked my battery operated gravel cleaner, but I don't think it is a must have. It allowed me to keep my bare bottom tank poo-free in between water changes, and skimmed the muck off the top of my sand in the 2nd tank.

I also liked my reusable filter media (which I would rinse in clean tank water) instead of the disposable HOB type cartridges.

Must haves?

a. Seachem's Prime for dechlorination and water conditioning. There are others but this one seems to be respected.

c. a thermometer - if you have lights on your hood the top layer of water of the tank can heat up

Have fun shopping!

Oh nice idea on the battery operated gravel cleaner! I'll have to take a look at that :)

Yep I have Prime conditioner, I really like that kind.

And I have a new magnetic thermometer I am using ;)

Oh and I seen a bubbler that I want to get, you can add an LED light to it to light up the bubbles :D

I will be sure to find a good test kit also!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :nana

I have the TOM one off Amazon, about $10. They aren't very well made - kind of disposable really - but I used it almost every day.

Don't forget to post photos of your amazing techno-color bubbles when you're done with your set up. :D

For the scale, you need to make sure it can at least measure down to 1g. .1 is even better. Also make sure it has a "tare" or "zero" function. Make sure you have some bloodworms :) I use San Francisco Bay Brand. they come in "flat packs" that you can cut up or cubes, but I go with the flat packs because the cubes are too big for my fish and they're cheaper, if you do the math :) Those are at PetCo. I would also second the test kit. That's all I can think of: 1 thing! Sorry! :rofl

I have the TOM one off Amazon, about $10. They aren't very well made - kind of disposable really - but I used it almost every day.

Don't forget to post photos of your amazing techno-color bubbles when you're done with your set up. :D

Yep I'll be sure to post my Pet store haul of goodies and the bubble maker when set up :)

For the scale, you need to make sure it can at least measure down to 1g. .1 is even better. Also make sure it has a "tare" or "zero" function. Make sure you have some bloodworms :) I use San Francisco Bay Brand. they come in "flat packs" that you can cut up or cubes, but I go with the flat packs because the cubes are too big for my fish and they're cheaper, if you do the math :) Those are at PetCo. I would also second the test kit. That's all I can think of: 1 thing! Sorry! :rofl

Thank you for the info on the scale! Are the blood worms you are talking about the frozen kind? I just want to get the right stuff ;)

Yes frozen. Never do freeze-dried anything:)

Oh really? Why not? :why: I gave my Goldfish a little corner off of a Freeze Dried Tuba flex worms cube a few days ago....so that is not good to do? :hmm

Oh really? Why not? :why: I gave my Goldfish a little corner off of a Freeze Dried Tuba flex worms cube a few days ago....so that is not good to do? :hmm

It shouldn't hurt. It just isn't recommended because it's dry and absorbs a lot of water, so it expands in their stomachs. It also isn't as high in nutrients as frozen foods. I retract my statement of saying "never" and replace it with "seldom" and also make sure to soak it beforehand :)

This scale will weigh both your fish and food, up to a certain point. lowest is .1 grams, which is what you want for weighing food. Highest is 300 grams - this will weigh young fish easily for awhile. It may become an issue with adult fish (I have one that weighs 250 grams, add in the water in the container and I would not be able to weigh with this scale) http://tastyworms.com/my-weigh-i300-precision-digital-scale.html

Option number 2 is getting two scales:

one for food (this is the one I have): http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-0-01g-Digital-Scale/dp/B0012LOQUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406585375&sr=8-1&keywords=pocket+scale

one for fish (any kitchen scale will work that has a tare and grams option): http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406585429&sr=8-2&keywords=kitchen+scale

I cannot remember what everyone else said so I will likely repeat things, but my other must haves:

- water changer (aqueon or python), second to this is also a pond pump (use the water change to vacuum, then attach pond pump to drain, it's quicker)

- seachem safe (prime works too, safe is cheaper though!)

- prazi (for flukes)

- metromeds from goldfish connection, second to this is medigold (good to have both on hand, but if you chose one it would be metromeds)

- salt (any salt with no additives or anti caking agents, I use morton's canning and pickling salt)

- fishmate f14 autofeeder for vacations

- tetra whisper air pump if you use an airstone

- aqueon pro heater if you use a heater

- seaweed clips for veggies

that's all I can think of right now ;) not all of those are must haves, but nice things to have.

freeze dried stuff can cause digestive issues including constipation and floatiness, best to just avoid it really. Get the hikari frozen blood worms. You can also get a worm cone for fun feeding them :)

This scale will weigh both your fish and food, up to a certain point. lowest is .1 grams, which is what you want for weighing food. Highest is 300 grams - this will weigh young fish easily for awhile. It may become an issue with adult fish (I have one that weighs 250 grams, add in the water in the container and I would not be able to weigh with this scale) http://tastyworms.com/my-weigh-i300-precision-digital-scale.html

one for food (this is the one I have): http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-0-01g-Digital-Scale/dp/B0012LOQUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406585375&sr=8-1&keywords=pocket+scale

one for fish (any kitchen scale will work that has a tare and grams option): http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406585429&sr=8-2&keywords=kitchen+scale

I cannot remember what everyone else said so I will likely repeat things, but my other must haves:

- water changer (aqueon or python), second to this is also a pond pump (use the water change to vacuum, then attach pond pump to drain, it's quicker)

- prazi (for flukes)

- metromeds from goldfish connection, second to this is medigold (good to have both on hand, but if you chose one it would be metromeds)

- salt (any salt with no additives or anti caking agents, I use morton's canning and pickling salt)

that's all I can think of right now ;) not all of those are must haves, but nice things to have.

Safe makes my head spin with the whole chlorine/chloramine dosing differences. I never know how much to dose, so I just use Prime. I'm sure I could find out with a Google search, but I'm always worried I'll dose it incorrectly. I like that Prime gives the dosage to remove any amount of chlorine/chloramine available.

- prazi (for flukes)

Thank you very much for your list of items! I will look at these online :)

Must haves?

Have fun shopping!

Oh nice idea on the battery operated gravel cleaner! I'll have to take a look at that :)

Yep I have Prime conditioner, I really like that kind.

And I have a new magnetic thermometer I am using ;)

Oh and I seen a bubbler that I want to get, you can add an LED light to it to light up the bubbles :D

I will be sure to find a good test kit also!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :nana

I got the Aqueon white flexible LED bubble wand. I got it for $15 online and saw the same one at Petsmart last week for $40 - yikes! It looked really cool at first, but the fish kept pushing it down in different directions! The lights looked weird that way (half pointing up, half down), so I eventually just removed the LED strip from it - now it's just the bubble wand. Oh well, one more outlet available! :)

Goldfish - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :rofl

• Supporter

as well as what others have posted. i would just like to add that i have found the 4 way air pump with adjustable pressure and absolute must for my set up. the brand i have is 'sera' there are other brands which are really good that offer 2 way if you don't have a large tank. the more bubbles, the better :) (as long as you're not blowing your fish out of the water :teehee )

i find that these bigger airpumps rattle less if at all. i can't hear mine when the cabinet door is closed. 'whisper' air pumps are awesome as they also make little to zero noise :)

- prazi (for flukes)

I have these 2 scales and they work very well. I also have (and second) several other things on Jess's list (highlighted in red).

- prazi (for flukes)

I have these 2 scales and they work very well. I also have (and second) several other things on Jess's list (highlighted in red).

I would like to also add to this list ALL of Jared's fish as a Must Have.

:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

:rofl

I have a Top Fin air pump that I love. I have a Fusion too, but it is pretty noisy. I do think the larger pumps are quieter as Helen mentioned; the Top Fin pump is big and quiet.

Seaweed clips :please

They are a lifesaver. If I'm on a busy schedule one day and I can't feed my fish 3times a day or arrange for someone to come over while I'm at work, I just put some boiled spinach on and don't have to worry about my fish going hungry for the day.