Really not digging the tank right now

So I upgraded to a 55 back in December. We added a fluval 206 to the AC 70. I've spent a small fortune on new plants, a glass top, new LED strip lighting and bubble wand. There is brown algae EVERYWHERE!!

I've scrubbed with my scrubby brush, I bought a magnet for the glass. It's all over my plants and my filter intakes. On top if that I have a bare bottom and planted some plants in pots. My fish have pulled most of the substrate out and spit it all over the tank.

I'm just frustrated and all the tanks on here are so pretty. How do you do it?!!yquzasaj.jpg

usyru9e5.jpg

What is your photoperiod (How long are your lights on per day)? Too much light, I would say, is the number one cause of algae, among other things. It could also be due to lack of water changes. As for the substrate being pulled from the pots, that's a goldfish for 'ya.

I run the lights from 8:30 am til close to 10 pm. That may be part of it. I've started leaving them off til I get home at 5:30 and turn them off before bed. I'm changing about 50% once per week and 80-90% once per month. I service my filters every other week

I run the lights from 8:30 am til close to 10 pm. That may be part of it. I've started leaving them off til I get home at 5:30 and turn them off before bed. I'm changing about 50% once per week and 80-90% once per month. I service my filters every other week

Try to lower light to 8 hours a day. Also, do weekly 80-90% changes. :D

Thanks, Justin. I also just ordered a python as I'm still hauling buckets. Sadly, we are going to have to buy a new faucet as it doesn't match up with the adapter. Then I'm sure doing 80-90 a week will be a breeze

I see the brown stuff mainly when my filters are overdue for cleaning, so check when the last time you cleaned your sponges was. :)

Sand will help. As the plants grow bigger roots, they're a little more difficult to completely uproot... After a while, they're going to take some serious effort to uproot.

I agree with too much light. I also think most of the pictures where the tank looks perfect are taken just after the tank is cleaned to perfection. My tank is a mess. I am not OCD so I leave it and I think my fish prefer it that way.

I agree with too much light. I also think most of the pictures where the tank looks perfect are taken just after the tank is cleaned to perfection. My tank is a mess. I am not OCD so I leave it and I think my fish prefer it that way.

That makes me feel a little better. Hopefully I'll get it under control and I can post a pristine tank too :)

I would definitely cut back on the time your lights are on as noted above. I keep mine on for 6 hours a day.

With each WC, I scrub the leaves of my plants while the water is filling back up. :peeka And since I do it weekly, it doesn't take very long . . . And, no, I don't do every single leaf. :teehee

Thanks, Justin. I also just ordered a python as I'm still hauling buckets. Sadly, we are going to have to buy a new faucet as it doesn't match up with the adapter. Then I'm sure doing 80-90 a week will be a breeze

I cannot use the Python on any of my faucets, either. I use my outdoor hose faucet, though, and it works like a charm. Not sure if this would work for you but I just wanted to mention it. Some members use pond pumps.

As for my tank being sparklingly clean, well, my bristlenose pleco is responsible for that! :-)

I also reduced the photoperiod to 7 hours, but I think most of the credit goes to the pleco (Pacman).

Yes, I bought a BN for my tank at work. It's spotless. I'm just paranoid after horror stories of plecos attacking goldies. I guess I could scoop her out and bring her home for the weekend Lol.

My hubby is gonna bring the adapter to shop for our new faucet. It was leaking anyway, so we will find a way to make it work

Congratulations on the upgrade. You look like you have good size fish in your tank and they are gorgeous. :)

You can pick up one of those inexpensive timers (I got mine at Walmart for about $5.00 or 6.00) and set it perhaps around 3pm and have it go off at 10pm. This way you'll be able to enjoy your fish when you come home from work and the plants will get a good amount of light time. (I have my lights set for 7hrs) Adjust your timer as needed with the algae problem, and plants.

What I do to keep my tank clean is every time I do my huge wc every 5 days I wipe down all the glass, barebottom tank also. When I see any algae on my filter intake tubes I take them off and clean them right away. As for my live plants I usually just wipe them down with my fingers/thumb. The secret for me is to do this when I see the first sign of algae. :)

Congrats on the upgrade! Bummer about the algae, although there are much worse types to have ;) I agree with others regarding the photoperiod. Every planted tank has some algae, it just comes with the territory. The goal is to balance the tank in a way that algae is not totally taking over. Decrease the time your light is on, consider adding some more plants (fast growers are much less prone to algae than slow growing plants like anubias), and scrub scrub scrub every water change. Hopefully it will get manageable. My 20 gallon is going through some crazy out of control algae right now. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what is causing it, but in the meantime it makes that tank no fun, so I can empathize ;)

Thanks, ill look for a timer! How do you take the intake off on the fluval? I'm really good at servicing the aqua clear, but am still intimidated by the canister :/

Yes, I bought a BN for my tank at work. It's spotless. I'm just paranoid after horror stories of plecos attacking goldies. I guess I could scoop her out and bring her home for the weekend Lol.

My hubby is gonna bring the adapter to shop for our new faucet. It was leaking anyway, so we will find a way to make it work

My Goldie's actually attacked my pleco and all that was left was bones :/.

Thanks, ill look for a timer! How do you take the intake off on the fluval? I'm really good at servicing the aqua clear, but am still intimidated by the canister :/

You just pull it out of the rubber white part. The strainer comes off if you turn and pull

Congrats on the upgrade! Bummer about the algae, although there are much worse types to have ;) I agree with others regarding the photoperiod. Every planted tank has some algae, it just comes with the territory. The goal is to balance the tank in a way that algae is not totally taking over. Decrease the time your light is on, consider adding some more plants (fast growers are much less prone to algae than slow growing plants like anubias), and scrub scrub scrub every water change. Hopefully it will get manageable. My 20 gallon is going through some crazy out of control algae right now. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what is causing it, but in the meantime it makes that tank no fun, so I can empathize ;)

What do you recommend for fast growing? I have extra pots for root feeders. The fish are so bad though I can barely keep java fern they shred everything

What do you recommend for fast growing? I have extra pots for root feeders. The fish are so bad though I can barely keep java fern they shred everything

Hmmmm...if the java fern is getting torn up I'm not sure any of my suggestions would fair any better :( water sprite is a nice fast growing plant, but probably will be a delicious treat. What about some floaters like water lettuce or red root floaters?

I tried water lettuce when I ordered online. It melted and they ate the roots ;(

Naughty fish! You need to talk to Tammy ;) she has naughty fish too :P