Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

How to feed fish while away question.

Since I'm leaving for college I'm trying to figure out how to keep my fish healthy while I'm away. I will be home every other weekend to change the water since I won't be far from home and I already have a timer for my lights, but what do I do about food..My sister agreed to feed them and I was just going to get little tupperware containers that are for dressing and measure out the food for her for the week or more so she woudn't overfeed. I also thought about getting a food dispenser, but I've heard horror stories of them emptying all of the food at once..so..my question is haha does anyone reccomend to get a food dispenser..or should I just do it the old fashion way and have someone do it for me even if they aren't 100% reliable..:/ Do a lot of feeders malfunction..?

The Fish Mate is a quite reliable feeder, according to the reviews. I wouldn't worry too much about it all emptying... Doesn't seem very likely to me. Also, if there is any way your sister could learn to change the water every other week you're not coming home, that would be ideal. That way you would change it every other week and she would change it every other week, so it would be changed once per week. Once every other week isn't really enough, in my opinion. Hope you have fun at college!

Edited by Justin

The Fish Mate is a quite reliable feeder, according to the reviews. I wouldn't worry too much about it all emptying... Doesn't seem very likely to me. Also, if there is any way your sister could learn to change the water every other week you're not coming home, that would be ideal. That way you would change it every other week and she would change it every other week, so it would be changed once per week. Once every other week isn't really enough, in my opinion. Hope you have fun at college!

It's hard to trust people with my fish haha, but I could maybe teach her. I do plan on getting another filter also.

I use the fish mate and it has lasted me 3 years.

The Fish Mate seems to be a trusted vacation feeder. I simply use pill boxes when I go on vacation and have my neighbor feed the fish once a day or so. :D

I'd also make sure to tell her (if you have your sister feed and not an automatic feeder) that if she misses a meal, not to dump 2 meals in to make up for it .. . :o

If it was me, I'd have my sister do it.

I agree, the Fishmate F14 may be a very good option here. :)

I think educating your sister is a better solution. You can supervise her while she does the care during the time she is home and explain what you are doing and why you are doing it. You can show her what to look for that would indicate a fish was sick. While you are in school have her report to you every day. Most importantly -- pay her. It doesn't have to be much, but it makes her work something you value.

I'll trust a supervised youngster over an unsupervised machine any day of the week.

I'll trust a supervised youngster over an unsupervised machine any day of the week.

I completely agree.

How old is your sister? :whistle If she's 4, I might go with the FishMate. :rofl3

Haha she's 12 and I planned on texting her 24/7 haha.

12 is perfect! My daughter is 12 and whenever a fish is on medicated food I have her do the midday feedings while I"m at work. She also used to change water in the betta tank but somehow I do that now. :idont

:rofl

I would get a thing that holds pills that are like m t w t f s s for all the days of the week and portion all the food into it and she can just dump it in

I think your sister will do a fine job! And I know it's just my opinion, but once every two weeks is plenty for my tank to stay within healthy water parameters. Granted, I only feed my fish every couple days and I don't feed anywhere near the amount that is usually recommended. I still feel like I feed them a huge amount for fish xD

I love my fishmate! it's the best feeder out there :)

If you haven't started school yet I'd definitely start showing your sister how to do a wc. They are easy enough. My daughter was in 7th grade when she started learning about goldfish and doing a lot on her own. Have her do at least a 60% wc only. No cleaning filters or anything. Make sure at the end of the syphon is some kind of netting rubber banded so your fish don't accidentally get sucked/stuck up/on the syphon. Then when you come home the following week you can do a even bigger w/c. I also like the idea of paying her also a little something. I'd put each daily portion of food in some kind of small container also. Just to make sure no overfeeding by mistake.

Have a great year in School. :)

I most likely will be home every weekend because of work, but I'm sure there will be days I don't work hence why I said every other weekend. I will be teaching her though and I was thinking about getting one of those pill things with the days.

I agree with Sharon. I really don't understand the panic, as long as the person is trustworthy and understands the implications of feeding too much. My mom feeds the fish every day while I am at work, and it's always just a pinch (I had her show me). I sat down and explained to her the nitrogen cycle, ammonia spikes from too much food, etc.

That said, I just bought Fancy Goldfish by Johnson and Hess and was reading it this weekend. It talks about this very subject, and mentions someone's father dumping in A POUND AND A HALF of food over the course of a week! Yikes!

Edited by *Amanda*

I agree with Sharon. I really don't understand the panic, as long as the person is trustworthy and understands the implications of feeding too much. My mom feeds the fish every day while I am at work, and it's always just a pinch (I had her show me). I sat down and explained to her the nitrogen cycle, ammonia spikes from too much food, etc.

That said, I just bought Fancy Goldfish by Johnson and Hess and was reading it this weekend. It talks about this very subject, and mentions someone's father dumping in A POUND AND A HALF of food over the course of a week! Yikes!

:yikes:yikes:yikes

Father - "Man, this fish food runs out fast!" :rofl2

Yeah, I also think it's a good idea to teach her not only how to do water changes, but why we do them, so she realizes the importance :)

I most likely will be home every weekend because of work, but I'm sure there will be days I don't work hence why I said every other weekend. I will be teaching her though and I was thinking about getting one of those pill things with the days.

How nice to be home every weekend and to ask,.... just in case your not. Your thinking ahead which is great. :)