Sign in to follow this  
Jenn Ivimey

I can't be first to not have BBS...

20140803_150146.jpg

20140803_150127.jpg

20140803_150119.jpg

20140803_150116.jpg

More baby shots. I feel like I am not getting awesome growth compared to other baby threads I've been reading on here. None have died though... so I guess I am doing something right?

If you are referring to my baby post I think mine are growing insanely fast. My two survivors from the first spawn must just be monster mutants :rofl

Haha, yours and some of the pinned threads. They still seem so tiny to me. They are active and eating/pooping though... so I guess they are ok? I started prazi last night... so issues yet. Maybe that will help. I'm trying to find a definitive answer as to when to start other food besides bbs... what do you suggest?

Mine got their first blood worms yesterday and only hikari first bites before then. You can grind up some normal fish food when you think they are big enough to swallow it. I feed mine about 6 times a day.

Edited by Kulukan

About a month ago I switched to just repashy... would...crumbled up pieces of the gel food work? Before I had the bbs, I was just doing the straight powder and it seemed to work. I'm fine with ordering some first bites though if that is the best option! :)

I don't think you need to order anything. So long as it's a food with protein that fits in their mouth it should be fine. (I'm not an expert BTW)

Ground up pellets can work too.

Lots of BBS, frozen or fresh. That seemed to make the biggest difference with mine and their growth rate.

I fed mine Repashy Powder until they were big enough to swallow FBW. I then switched them to that and recently have been feeding them Super Green as a supplement. I just put a small cube in and let them pick off of it. I'm planning to give them some Spawn and Grow today as gel, because they're not fattening up like I'd like.

No need to crumble the gel food. They can nibble at anything soft. I've given babies a big floating pellet. They start trying to nibble it as soon as it hits the water. As it softens, they succeed in getting mouthfuls of the softened stuff. It lasts for quite a while, so they keep coming back for more.

I fed mine Repashy Powder until they were big enough to swallow FBW. I then switched them to that and recently have been feeding them Super Green as a supplement. I just put a small cube in and let them pick off of it. I'm planning to give them some Spawn and Grow today as gel, because they're not fattening up like I'd like.

I currently have meat pie, soilent green and super green here. If I were to give them something, would you suggest meat pie for the protein? I wonder how big of a difference there is between that and spawn and grow. I have to handle blood worms with gloves (and even then very carefully), I have had violent allergic reactions to frozen/thawed BW's in the past...enough to want to stay very far away unfortunately!

Their tummies look different today! Its insane how much of a difference a day makes with them, I love watching them grow and change. My fiance I'm pretty sure thinks I'm nuts when I just stand there staring into their tank :P

Also...should I worry about big size differences? I have some that seem about 1/2 as big!

20140804_222747.jpg

20140804_222743.jpg

I currently have meat pie, soilent green and super green here. If I were to give them something, would you suggest meat pie for the protein? I wonder how big of a difference there is between that and spawn and grow. I have to handle blood worms with gloves (and even then very carefully), I have had violent allergic reactions to frozen/thawed BW's in the past...enough to want to stay very far away unfortunately!

I haven't really had experience with the Meat Pie, but would probably just do a bit of that mixed with some super green. Baby goldfish do really well on algae, but since they're growing they also need protein from microorganisms and/or little larvae. :)

Mine have size differences. The last time I raised fry I kept the super runty ones but they developed a bit weird and never swam well. Right now I would say the size difference is normal though.

Thank you both! :) The are a couple runty ones that I never really see full tummies on...Makes me wonder if they have a mouth deformity or something that I just can't see yet. Time will tell I suppose!

Its possible. Only my really super runty ones developed poorly the ones that were just a bit smaller than the monsters did fine.

Just caught up on this thread. You're doing a great job with them! Keep the updates coming! :D

Ps. I treated with Prazi at 1 week. :)

Found three dead this morning... no Idea why... one of the runty ones and two of the bigger ones. They all had full tummies too. :idont

Everyone else seems fine. Everyone is hanging out at the top of their tank today, its kindof interesting. Today I can see their tail fins with just my naked eye! So far they all look awesome! No dorsal sightings yet... I think its still way too early for that though? Pics later!

Have you treated with prazi yet? (sorry didn't go back and read the whole thread)

I did! Started on Sunday. I'm not terribly worried, since I still have...48? But it just seemed odd.

They could also have had some sort of congenital defect that finally came to fruition.

Goldfish fry have a large incidence of "birth defects." I suppose it is the expected result of producing hundreds or even thousands of eggs followed by rapid embryonic development. You expect a lot of the runts to die, since there is likely something wrong with them that inhibits growth. But sometimes the big healthy-looking babies die for no discernible reason.

Small update: I've been trying to be tell myself to be stern in terms of culling since there are so many fry... I've culled 5 so far. 2 because they were single tails, and three because they didn't swim well (one was always upside down). Its amazing how much they have grown, I can now see dorsals and love looking at their tails! Some already have much longer tail fins than others. Here is a quick updated pic of one of the medium sized fry in my tsp spoon :P I feel like my phone took better pics when they were smaller!

20140813_190848.jpg

Transferred them to the fry net thing... was just going to try it out for the evening, but actually I think they seem ok!

20140819_203931.jpg

20140819_203844.jpg

Alright! The breeder net thing is awesome. They seem to be doing well. My phone has been boycotting taking pics of them for whatever reason (how it took better pics of them just hatched vs now I will never understand). So after like 5 minutes of getting a pic... I gave up and took a video. They have been upgraded from a teaspoon to a tablespoon!

I cannt figure out how to embed this... so link:

http://vid431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/jackinthedacks/Mobile%20Uploads/20140820_170913.mp4

Edited by Thoughts