Hi Jess!

Ironically, I was actually watching your old video the other day on how to sterilize plants to see how you did it. :rofl

One thing I noticed is your color looked much darker than others I've seen on the forum. It was a darker purple, almost opaque. But then you said you only dipped the plant for 30 minutes. :idont

This leads me to my next question, which would be more effective, when PPing fragile plants? Making a stronger solution, but soaking for a short amount of time, or making a much weaker solution and soaking for a longer period of time?

I don't know :P I can't remember if I measured it out in that video or not? Most of the time I honestly just eyeball it :idont

4mg/liter is what I use (4 ppm) if I take the time to measure, I'm not sure how that compares to what Tammy does. I had found a few references that suggested 4ppm, so that's what I went with, but I have never been able to pin down a soak time, as there are so many varying suggestions on this.

Here, skeptical aquarist suggests a 10ppm dip for 90 min for plants! this is much more concentrated than my dip. http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/potassium-permanganate

Hi Jess,

I followed the trail in his excellent article to the EPA publication, it seems that 2 hours is a good cut off point, if you use 2.5+ ppm :)

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/mdbp/alternative_disinfectants_guidance.pdf

You guys soak your plants for a long time!

I wonder if there is any sort of scientific support for how long you need to soak (for example, how long to kill snails, algae, bacteria etc.) I don't soak for very long, 30 min at most typically. Sharon's link said 30 sec. I have seen such a wide range of recommendations for soaking times for PP it's hard to know which is best and if it even matters.

I just did for the plants what I did for the fish. :idont

I don't think it does a darn thing for algae though. :rofl3

I usually just wing it by colour. Mines usually like the last one in this image. I can still see my plants and it's still clearly a purple colour. :)

Permanganate-digestion-of-labile-organic

I soak for about 4 hours. :peeka

I usually just wing it by colour. Mines usually like the last one in this image. I can still see my plants and it's still clearly a purple colour. :)

Permanganate-digestion-of-labile-organic

I soak for about 4 hours. :peeka

Winging by color should not be a problem at all with plants. That's why it's not even quite necessary to start with a stock solution.

However, do not do that with fish. :rofl

• 9 months later...

Thank you for this thread. This is surely a no-brainer for most of you but the wool at the roots has to be removed before dipping into PP, right?

Yes, do remove the rockwool. It's used by the big nurseries when growing certain plants emergent in those little pots and doesn't really serve much use to the hobbyist.

Thank you for this thread. This is surely a no-brainer for most of you but the wool at the roots has to be removed before dipping into PP, right?

Yes, do remove the rockwool. It's used by the big nurseries when growing certain plants emergent in those little pots and doesn't really serve much use to the hobbyist.

Okay. Would it be wrong to plant them with the pots so their roots have a better hold?