• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.5
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.5
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? 73 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallons for 4 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 Aqua Clear 50; 2 Aqua Clear 110's; 1 Cascade 1000 I rinse the media in the A/C's every 3 weeks and rinse the Cascade media in tank water once a month
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, just did. Have been changing about 50% to keep nitrates low
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today; 50 %
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 (2 others and 6 goldies): Body size not fins; 2 1/2" siamese algae eater--he doesn't; Wycliffe 3" calico ryukin at least 4 years old*; Moondancer 5 1/2 ryukin; Thomas More 4" black moor; Ann Bolynn 2 1/2" orange and white oranda; Lattimer 2" oranda; Wolsley 1" calico ryukin; and Hank 2" Parrot fish. *Wycliffe now in 10 gallon hospital tank
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2 x a day New Life Spectrum Goldfish formula, sinking pellets; usually fast once a week
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? 1Wolsey the small ryukin 5 days ago
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No, at this time just in the hospital tank which has had Prime added and 2 T of dissolved aquarium salt
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I had an mystery death of a 5 year old--6"--red cap oranda about a month ago. He was fine at night feeding, swimming nothing appeared to be wrong and in the morning he was dead--not even pineconing, etc. So I checked the H2O, (0;0; 80) then did back to back water changes to reduce the Nitrate to 80. Then since I had some medi-gold I fed everybody medi-gold for 2 weeks. That exhuasted my medi-gold supply. So everyone has been back on NLS for 2 weeks. Wycliffe has had what I think has been a tumor on his left side a little above his anal fin for about 3 years. It's about the size of a large thumb nail and protrude about 3/8-1/2" above body. When it first started it looked streaked with blood,so I put him in hospital tank and treated him sulfa and tetracycline. It stopped being streaky he came back into the 125 gallon. However since the tumor or growth developed he has been floating on his back but able to eat and swim.
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?Wycliffe has had what I think has been a "tumor" on his left side a little above his anal fin for about 3 years. It's about the size of a large thumb nail and protrude about 3/8-1/2" above body. When it first 3 years ago started it looked streaked with blood,so I put him in hospital tank for a while. It stopped being streaky he came back into the 125 gallon. However since the tumor or growth developed he has been floating on his back but able to eat and swim upside down.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's now resting on the bottom, "swims upside down" along the bottom about every hour, gets stuck in the corner. He's eaten a few pellets and seems interested in more. His poop is still the color of the food but has gotten much thinner in diameter. He is not "gasping", it's hard to tell if his fins are clamped as he's upside down...
    • So these questions have mostly told you everything. Wycliffe was fine yesterday, swimming upside down, eating voraciously, and rooting in the gravel. Today he was at the bottom and unable to get up higher. Any help you can given would be msot appreciated. He's a sweetie. Here's a photo.
    • Thanks,
    • ChrisI've never

I tried to copy and paste the photo of Wycliffe laying upside down on the bottom of the hospital tank but it did not take...I've never figured out photos on Koko's...I will try to do so by way of Facebook....

Wycliffe ate about 5 pellets for dinner. Had a smallish normal color poor. He is able to move around the 10 gallon hospital tank but is still on the bottom upside down. When he moves, he only goes up an inch or so.

Chris+

The pic didn't work. I tried to fix it but I'm technologically challenged and the link URL you posted disappeared. :o

Go back to photobucket and copy and past the IMG code. See if that works. :D

Sorry about the URL. :peeka

Gosh what a gorgeous fish. :o

Can you make a short video? Lift the fish to the top of the tank water and gently release him so we can get a feel for what he looks like when he tries to swim? Like Jared said, youtube is more video friendly than photobucket . . .

Hi! I'm having a very technically challenged day. I managed to video on my iphone, but don't have a clue on how to put something up on YouTube and can't figure out my google password. So for right now words will have to do.

Wycliffe is a bit more active this morning. He occassionally swims in a circle up from the bottom and quickly returns to the bottom in the hospital tank--where I will do a H2O change shortly as the tank is not cycled. He ate about 7 pellets voraciously this morning and his poop looks normal. The tumor is still about the size of a thumb nail and raised only about 1/4-3/8".

He is a beautiful fish and a sweetie. I'm just trying to keep him calmish and fed. He is not "gasping" etc. Just is at the bottom...

I don't want to medicate him unless I had more of a clue as to what could be disabling his swim bladder so much. He's such a trooper. I have no medi-gold food left, but have a variety of antibiotics on hand.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks

Given that he's had a full course of Medi-Gold, I too would be hesitant to do any more medication until we have a much better idea of what's going on. So, if you would, just keep trying with the video upload, etc.

As for what to do right now, my recommendation is to fast for a day or two, or if you can't bring yourself to fast him, restrict his diet to just frozen bloodworms, and then not too much of that.

Thanks. Still trying to figure out the video thing. I tried again to get a shorter video but I don't want to keep bothering Wycliffe. Would freeze dried blood worms work? I've had neck surgery and can't drive yet?

Chris+

Thanks. I'll call around. Here's the URL for one of the YouTube Videos I somehow got uploaded:

or
<br /><br />And the second one:
<br /><br />Sorry, really don't know how to do this....<br />Chris

Thanks for the videos and :hi5 to you for figuring it out! I always need my husband to show me a few times before I get it figured out by myself. :teehee

I think that at least part of his swim bladder is deflated which there isn't really anything you can do for that. As long as he's eating and seems happy, he can live a good life. Having said that, he should be kept in a barebottom tank so as to not irritate his scales. We can also help with euthanization when/if the time comes. Let us know if we can help.

He is an absolutely stunning fish! :heart

Thanks! He's always been a "hungry" goldie so I will do my best to fast him until someone can drive me to Creature Comforts for frozen ones.

He's a short video--if I did it right on Youtube of his tumor:

and a short one of him "swimming" to bottom:

Hope this helps,

Chris

You have a gorgeous fish. I'm sorry about his health. Lisa, (fantailfan1) had said a wonderful thing above about your fish....that he can live a good life as long as he's eating. There have been other fish here that had awesome owners that had similar situations as yours with their fish not being able to swim. As hard as it is to euthanize a fish you'll know I think when it's time. It's a decision I think an owner can only make. We are here for you no matter what.

:hug

Thank you everyone for your kind advice and concern. This morning Wycliffe was not moving very much at all and was not interested in any food. I think the tumor finally just got to him. He was a very valiant and beautiful fish having adjusted to swimming upside down for more than three years and having a very good quality of life until a few days ago. With the use of clove oil (thank you Helen for that most helpful video) he went very peaceful to sleep and then on to swim to God. Requiem in pacem, Wycliffe .

Chris

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is to make the decision to euthanize and follow through. I'm glad it was peaceful for Wycliffe and I hope you found some comfort in knowing this.
My deepest condolences to you. :hug