Sign in to follow this  
Bornagainnatural

Mapani Wood question (s)

I have one other question. Would the same application manner apply to plants that resemble grass. Wondering how they can be attached. The roots are completely different.

Just post photos of your plants, and we'll help you sort out the best ways to plant them. :)

gese7yha.jpgu3a2amyg.jpgugepajus.jpg

Here is the somewhat finished look. Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I will consider a few more plants to add in another suction cup as pictured. Possibly two more cups at most then I am officially done.

Hoping the Mapani would doesn't give me to much trouble in terms of coloring. I don't believe it will as it sat since yesterday in the same temp of water that I use for the tank without running. There are a few other plants that caught my attention that I am unsure of. I will post them momentarily.

Looks really nice Tonya, but I think you will have to raise the bamboo up a bit so that the leaves are out of the water.

Looks really nice Tonya, but I think you will have to raise the bamboo up a bit so that the leaves are out of the water.

Thanks!!! Going to so that now. Don't know where I would be without this forum.

Thanks!!! Going to so that now. Don't know where I would be without this forum.

the leaves, and the top inch of the wooden stem itself should be out. ;)

Plants such as Anubias and java fern actually MUST not have the rhizome buried. I tied my Anubias (barteri var. diamond and nana var. petite) to driftwood and my lace java fern to a large jade stone using twine. I buried other plants in my gravel, which is Activ-Flora for planted tanks. I bought my plants from Bob's Tropical Plants and aquariumplants.com.

I'm not a huge fan of this look unless the pots are really pretty, but another option for a barebottom (or substrated) tank is to add potted plants. I have some beautiful artsy glass bowls I am planning to use for this purpose once I get my rooted plants (a rose sword and some others) in the mail tomorrow.

Using suction cups actually sounds like a good idea, if the clips are the right size to hold the plants.

Anubias nana petite:

udequty4.jpg

Anubias barteri diamond:

enumetez.jpg

I like. Where did you purchase the twine from?
Ace Hardware.

I really like java ferns I will post a picture soon. They can be attached to wood or rocks low light is best for them but can be healthy in a medium lighted tank.

I recall seeing ferns. How do you attach them as the root structure is different?
I wrapped mine to a rock with twine. They're similar to Anubias in that the rhizome cannot be buried. Edited by *Amanda*

I also just tie mine to my Mopani wood. I use light duty fishing line. :Dvu6a7a7e.jpg

Sorry, they love the camera! :Deqaqypa9.jpg

I really like java ferns I will post a picture soon. They can be attached to wood or rocks low light is best for them but can be healthy in a medium lighted tank.

I recall seeing ferns. How do you attach them as the root structure is different?
I wrapped mine to a rock with twine. They're similar to Anubias in that the rhizome cannot be buried.

I put one of those plastic hair ties around it and attach it to the rock