Sign in to follow this  
Bornagainnatural

Mapani Wood question (s)

I have a bare bottom tank for my two Orandas. I started out with gravel and decided to remove it. I did a water change today and decided to alter the tank a bit more. I received a few suggestions for bare tanks and one included adding Mapani and or driftwood for live plants. I removed the fake plants as it looked odd in a bare bottom tank and purchased a bubble disk which is working much better than the wand.

I brought the Mapani home, boiled it for about five hours then allowed it to sit in room temperature water. I then changed out the water for a larger bucket so that it can sit overnight. Appears that the tannis from the wood is no longer bleeding. When I changed the cooler water, the water was no longer a tea color. It ran clear....will see what the water yields tomorrow.

I swung by a few pet stores. Petco had a fern that is sold on decorative shapes ornaments. They look really nice however I declined to purchase because the fern was in tanks with schools and communities of fish. I was worried about what I might be bringing home to my girls. :).

Our one and only reputable aquatic store, I'm in charleston, SC were all out of fern. Wish my options were better.

My question is what other types of plants would be good for attaching to Mapani that are fancy goldfish friendly? I have an automatic light control that runs for four hours in the morning and three hours in the evening. Please if you will kindly recommend the ease of growth and the amount of light source needed if known. The temp in my tank is 69 degrees not sure of this information is helpful or not. :)

Also I thought of using suctions attached to the side glass for holding some plants as well to give the impression of a fuller look. Is this to farfetched?

Finally how are the plants attached to the wood? I was advised by a Petco associate that all aquarium plants must be anchored by covering with gravel which I do not have. I knew this to be incorrect as I have seen many tanks without any gravel.

Thanks everyone!!!

Anubias are perfect for this. You can use Super glue gel to attach the rhizomes to the Mopani :)

I got all of my Anubias at Petco in the sterile plastic tubes (not from their aquariums :no: ).

Edited by jmetzger72

I really like java ferns I will post a picture soon. They can be attached to wood or rocks low light is best for them but can be healthy in a medium lighted tank.

Here's one of mine:

IMG_20140718_195851_605.jpg

Nice! I do a lot with Anubias and this is beautiful! Any photos of it in your tank?

Here's one of mine:

Nice! I do a lot with Anubias and this is beautiful! Any photos of it in your tank?

Here's one...sorry it's not the best photo:

IMG_20140719_085117_525.jpg

Here's one of mine:

It's gorgeous!!

Plants such as Anubias and java fern actually MUST not have the rhizome buried. I tied my Anubias (barteri var. diamond and nana var. petite) to driftwood and my lace java fern to a large jade stone using twine. I buried other plants in my gravel, which is Activ-Flora for planted tanks. I bought my plants from Bob's Tropical Plants and aquariumplants.com.

I'm not a huge fan of this look unless the pots are really pretty, but another option for a barebottom (or substrated) tank is to add potted plants. I have some beautiful artsy glass bowls I am planning to use for this purpose once I get my rooted plants (a rose sword and some others) in the mail tomorrow.

Using suction cups actually sounds like a good idea, if the clips are the right size to hold the plants.

Anubias nana petite:

udequty4.jpg

Anubias barteri diamond:

enumetez.jpg

Edited by *Amanda*

Plants such as Anubias and java fern actually MUST not have the rhizome buried. I tied my Anubias (barteri var. diamond and nana var. petite) to driftwood and my lace java fern to a large jade stone using twine. I buried other plants in my gravel, which is Activ-Flora for planted tanks. I bought my plants from Bob's Tropical Plants and aquariumplants.com.

I'm not a huge fan of this look unless the pots are really pretty, but another option for a barebottom (or substrated) tank is to add potted plants. I have some beautiful artsy glass bowls I am planning to use for this purpose once I get my rooted plants (a rose sword and some others) in the mail tomorrow.

Using suction cups actually sounds like a good idea, if the clips are the right size to hold the plants.

Anubias nana petite:

udequty4.jpg

Anubias barteri diamond:

enumetez.jpg

I like. Where did you purchase the twine from?

Here's one of mine:

Very nice. What was used to keep them rooted to your wood?

I just finished boiling a piece of driftwood, but it stained the water for a week, and I boiled it 8+ hours a day! :o You might want to put it on to boil again, just to make sure that you got them all. The blackwater isn't harmful, but it can alter your pH, and many find it unsightly. :)

10525817_10152541924478711_8792765344963

10384837_10152541924423711_3016811042061

10580249_10152541924533711_4393742965233

I just finished boiling a piece of driftwood, but it stained the water for a week, and I boiled it 8+ hours a day! :o You might want to put it on to boil again, just to make sure that you got them all. The blackwater isn't harmful, but it can alter your pH, and many find it unsightly. :)

Thank you and I will ;). What is holding your plants near the filter? Nice setup

Thank you and I will ;). What is holding your plants near the filter? Nice setup

The basket at the top? That's a bath caddy from Walmart. ;)

I believe he uses super glue gel. I use the same for all my anubias and java ferns. Tithra explains it all here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/117828-how-to-attach-plants-with-super-glue-video/

Is Gorilla glue sold in aquatic stores or in stores such as walmart?

Yes, and you can also use gel superglue. I think it dries a little less puffy.

The basket at the top? That's a bath caddy from Walmart. ;)

Wow that is very creative!!!

I believe he uses super glue gel. I use the same for all my anubias and java ferns. Tithra explains it all here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/117828-how-to-attach-plants-with-super-glue-video/

Walmart should carry it. I use superglue Gel from walmart.

Thank you. I have a few errands to run and will look for it. Any particular brand?

Thank you. I have a few errands to run and will look for it. Any particular brand?

I like Loctite's brand. If you get the kind in the bottle, and not the traditional super glue squeeze tubes, I find they last much longer. Get several tubes! You always use way more than you think you will.

I buy them six at a time. :rofl3

Make sure the bottle says "Gel" though. The liquid is too runny for our purposes, and doesn't adhere well.

look for this one:

125858.jpg

Thank you so much. Super excited. Can't wait to add plants to the wood.

look for this one:

125858.jpg

Thank you so much!!!

I really like java ferns I will post a picture soon. They can be attached to wood or rocks low light is best for them but can be healthy in a medium lighted tank.

I recall seeing ferns. How do you attach them as the root structure is different?

e4azesu7.jpg

Here is an image of the wood. It's wet from soaking. I poured the water it was soaking in off and it was extremely light from tannis barely noticeable. It sat in a two gallon bucket. My tank is a 30 gallon. Decided to refill and will check on it later on tonight. I boiled it for about 4 hours yesterday changing out the water every time I noticed a dark red tint until it began to lighten.