Update: 30 gallon tank

Bornagainnatural

ehe8ugyh.jpg

jynyjesa.jpgry7a3yzy.jpg2e9emu2a.jpg

Thank you everyone for the suggestions on making my current tank a better home for Zeda and Zelda.

I am finding that the tank appears cleaner For a longer period of time without the gravel at the bottom.

I am not 100% content with this look so this won't be the final change but gravel will not be placed back into the tank

My air bubble wand doesn't appear to be working fully since I wiped it off during the cleaning process. Bubbles are no longer coming out of it fully. It worked previously. I've had it less than a month and the pump that supplies the air is an air pump 40.

I would like to pull together a few ideas for my tank that include tanks without gravel. Are there any links for tank ideas here or in the planted tank? Haven't seen them but I also have visited all the forums yet due to lack of time.

Now that I have taken most of the rocks out I am thinking To replace the set between the two plants and in the corner by the blue jellyfish with one rock much larger for each side. I saw a tank on her with black sand and fell in love. Hear it's easy to clean but I've seen mixed reviews for goldfish and sand.

The plant on the far right is still holding up. I bought it from an aquatic tank but since I have a few errands to run today I may visit tideline aquatics to review their selections and also to see if they have duckweed before ordering it online.

Thanks everyone. This isn't the finished look. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to clutter the tank but I would also like it to have a quaint look to it as well.

I also included a close up of the bubble wand.

I think it looks great so far! If you don't mind me asking, what is the gray piece on your filter intake? :idont Anyway, I know some people like bare bottom tanks for the cleanliness and if I had one observation about the majority of bare bottom tanks it would be a lot of plants. ALOT. Obviously, a lot of decorations don't work well in a bare bottom tank and you can't really use artificial plants without it looking odd.You could also add a piece of Mopani wood. It sinks fast and looks great - just make sure to soak it first. I'm pretty sure it's cheapest on Amazon.

Edited by Justin

Your fish are beautiful! I really like sand, it's my preferred substrate and I've never had any issues with my fish and sand :) if you would rather stay barebottom, you could attach plants such as java fern and anubias to bogwood or rocks. This is my main tank, I like the way it looks, and it's very easy to clean :)

imagejpg1_zps8b25c9e2.jpg

Your fish are beautiful! I really like sand, it's my preferred substrate and I've never had any issues with my fish and sand :) if you would rather stay barebottom, you could attach plants such as java fern and anubias to bogwood or rocks. This is my main tank, I like the way it looks, and it's very easy to clean :)

imagejpg1_zps8b25c9e2.jpg

Very nice. Great idea

I think it looks great so far! If you don't mind me asking, what is the gray piece on your filter intake? :idont Anyway, I know some people like bare bottom tanks for the cleanliness and if I had one observation about the majority of bare bottom tanks it would be a lot of plants. ALOT. Obviously, a lot of decorations don't work well in a bare bottom tank and you can't really use artificial plants without it looking odd.You could also add a piece of Mopani wood. It sinks fast and looks great - just make sure to soak it first. I'm pretty sure it's cheapest on Amazon.

Hi justin. It's part of the intake flow I believe. It allows you to control the flow by adjusting.

Beautiful. :heart

As for the air wand not working, it is possible that you clogged it while wiping it. Try giving it a soak in hot water for awhile, and then rinse again before going back into the tank.

Maybe it is my hard water but every time I try to use those kind of bubble wands they clog up on me and it doesn't work well any more. I even tried the black flexable kind also and that did the same thing :huh: I like the old school stone bubble wands they do better for me. But that is just my personal experience :idont

Your tank looks great the way you have it. I think I commented on your adorable plant holders somewhere else. I love those. :) Your fish are adorable also. I love your redcap..

I think your tank looks great! Love the plants!

I had a barebottom tank for YEARS but loved the look of a tank with substrate. Not wanting to do gravel, I was strongly encouraged :teehee by a member or two here to try sand. I was just about to upgrade so I added the sand to my 40B while I waited for my 75 stand to be ready. I figured if I didn't like the sand, I would leave it out when I set up the 75. Over a year later, I am loving my sandy bottom! :rofl3

It's easy to clean but mostly l love to watch the fish forage through it all day! They do move it around and spit it out on my plants :bat: but it keeps them busy so I don't mind. :rofl