Enough Filtration?

• Supporter

While being excited about my new tank coming, I've had something that's been bugging me.

ATM My tank has a filter in the hood that does 960LPH and a Canister that does 2000LPH so Almost 3000LPH for my 300Litre tank.

My new tank is going to be 600Litres, and it comes with 2 canisters, but I've looked them up and they only do 1250LPH each, so those two alone would only do 2500LPH, I can add the canister I have now and run 3 filters for a total of 5500LPH, but would that be enough? I'd really rather have only two filters running so I could have them both in the cupboards under the tank but I'm having trouble finding another canister that does more than 2000LPH (I've found one that does 2700LPH But it would take me a couple weeks to get the money together)

Also my current canister has a UV Bulb in it, and while I don't know much about the supposed benefits or anything (I just bought the filter since it was what I wanted in my price range) I've heard it can be detrimental to the fish to go from having a UV to not having one?

SO I definitely want to keep my current canister, but wow I've blabbed on a lot for a simple question..

How much filtration should I be looking at for the 600Litre tank if I use canisters? And if I did find two filters that would give me enough but without my current one would I have to get one with a UV Bulb in it?

I think you will be fine as on one of my threads a moderator told me 10x turnover for HOBs and about 7x turnover for canisters as canisters are more powerful and hold more media. You should be looking for 4200+ lph if your going to use canisters :)

Edited by goldfishfanforever

You will have plenty of filtration with the three canisters, Mandy. The added space for media in a canister offsets the lesser turn over.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the UV systems in canister filters tend to be a bit hit or miss (pointless). If you want to run a UV, you would be better off buying a dedicated system, although they are usually pricy.

• Supporter

I don't really care about the UV Tbh, I have no idea what it's supposed to do or anything, just worried if I did upgrade to be able to get enough filtration out of 2 filters if it would be harmful to stop using it.

But I'll be using the 3 for a good while anyway

Have you considered 2 canisters and 1 HOB?

The most she would be able to do is 3,250lph with 2 canisters plus 960lph with her HOB. That would only be enough filtration for 560 liters, using 7x tank turnover for canisters and 10x tank turnover for HOBs. Do you think that's enough?

• Supporter

I didn't really think about an HOB TBH, would there be one big enough to make up the appropriate filtration with 3250LPH done with canisters?

What if for now I run the 3 canisters but save for some other filters so I don't have to have one outside the cupboard...

And did my current canister (2000LPH) + a New Canister (2700LPH) Plus a HOB (800LPH) for a total of 5500LPH?

I realize it would be the same amount I have now for extra cost but would be nice to be able to have all canisters in the cupboard.

I also thought about saving for 2x the 2700LPH and a HOB for a total of 6200LPH. But again I want to confirm that removing the UV will not harm my fish

Edited by FishyMandy

But again I want to confirm that removing the UV will not harm my fish

I'm sorry if I missed the info from above, what is the wattage of your UV?

• Supporter

According to the sticker on the filter its 9W

Yes! That would definitely work. 4700LPH from canisters and 800 from an HOB would be enough to filter a 600L tank :) the 4700LPH would already take care of 640LPH going with the 7x tank turnover per hour, so technically you don't even have to buy an HOB.

According to the sticker on the filter its 9W

You'll be fine shutting it off and not using it anymore. :)

The most she would be able to do is 3,250lph with 2 canisters plus 960lph with her HOB. That would only be enough filtration for 560 liters, using 7x tank turnover for canisters and 10x tank turnover for HOBs. Do you think that's enough?

I would just purchase another hob. You can get 1500 lph for $30.

Not in this country you won't. I don't believe the Aqueon from Amazon ships here and you can't get it through Amazon Australia, although if it were it would probably be marked up.

Not in this country you won't. I don't believe the Aqueon from Amazon ships here and you can't get it through Amazon Australia, although if it were it would probably be marked up.

Ah my apologies! Major bummer.

hahaha that is the filter I was talking about! I have ordered 4 of them and am very happy with them. I assume they come with the 2 prong plug as all of mine have but i am not sure if they would take not of where it is being shipped to.

Edited by DieselPlower

Does anyone know much about the universal plug adapters and how safe they are?

We took one to Iceland a few weeks ago. It adapted US to European style plug. It worked perfectly for us. Given, it was only a few phone chargers and a hair straightener (not mine!), but nonetheless, it worked!

I found this on Amazon, and it says it will ship to Australia, but would it have the US Style plug?

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06079-QuietFlow-Filter-400-GPH/dp/B004GX47TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406534971&sr=8-2&keywords=aqueon+filter

That's really weird. I put one in my cart the other day, proceeded to check out and got the 'we don't ship to your country message'. It definitely didn't have the we "ship to Australia" tagline for delivery, just internationally.

• Admin

I found this on Amazon, and it says it will ship to Australia, but would it have the US Style plug?

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06079-QuietFlow-Filter-400-GPH/dp/B004GX47TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406534971&sr=8-2&keywords=aqueon+filter

That's really weird. I put one in my cart the other day, proceeded to check out and got the 'we don't ship to your country message'. It definitely didn't have the we "ship to Australia" tagline for delivery, just internationally.

:madrant

Does anyone know much about the universal plug adapters and how safe they are?

We took one to Iceland a few weeks ago. It adapted US to European style plug. It worked perfectly for us. Given, it was only a few phone chargers and a hair straightener (not mine!), but nonetheless, it worked!
What, you don't use a hair straightener? :rofl

I've never traveled outside the U.S. except to Canada when I was 2, so not sure on the safety of the adapters. But plenty of people use them, I know that.