Sign in to follow this  
Moucho+Moncho

Going for gold

Okay so looking into all the white, black, black and white, golden sands I have changed my mind about getting white and I am going for gold. My question is, is that I am looking for playsand or something like that to put in my tank. I am kinda weary about chemicals from the sand so do you guys have any suggestions about play sand types that would be safe?

The only playsand I bought from Home Depot was basically white. So I'm not much help! For gold sands I love my sunset gold by caribsea.

Yes, I would go with the CaribSea Sunset Gold sand too. It's really sparkly and beautiful. It will still need to be rinsed, though - just follow the instructions on the bag. :-)

Edited by *Amanda*

The Petco "white" sand is not bad. It's not really white. :rofl

I think that Cat has playsand in her tank. Hopefully, she'll be along soon.

The only thing with using a non-aquarium-specific sand is that it will require much more rinsing than using something designed for that purpose. All sand needs plenty of rinsing, and this is a step which you cannot skip, or skimp on. :)

I have play sand in my tank! I absolutely love the golden color contrasted against my black background! I bought a bag of 50lbs from Lowe's for around $6. Like Tammy mentioned, there is quite a bit of rinsing to do, but fortunately it's not a very tedious task. Outside, put about 1/3 of the bag in a standard 5 gallon bucket, clamp a hose onto it and turn it on. Then swish the sand around and let the bucket overflow. All the dusty, light particles will float to the top and over the edge. In the beginning, you will notice that the overflowing water is very murky. You want to go until the overflowing water is as clear as possible; remember, whatever is left in there will be going into your tank. It's important, but like I said, it's not tedious. Just let the water go and swish it around once every minute or so. One bucket should only take about 10 minutes maximum, if you divide the bag into thirds. Here's what my tank looks like :)

photo7.jpg

Edited by Justin

I have play sand in my tank! I absolutely love the golden color contrasted against my black background! I bought a bag of 50lbs from Lowe's for around $6. Like Tammy mentioned, there is quite a bit of rinsing to do, but fortunately it's not a very tedious task. Outside, put about 1/3 of the bag in a standard 5 gallon bucket, clamp a hose onto it and turn it on. Then swish the sand around and let the bucket overflow. All the dusty, light particles will float to the top and over the edge. In the beginning, you will notice that the overflowing water is very murky. You want to go until the overflowing water is as clear as possible; remember, whatever is left in there will be going into your tank. It's important, but like I said, it's not tedious. Just let the water go and swish it around once every minute or so. One bucket should only take about 10 minutes maximum, if you divide the bag into thirds. Here's what my tank looks like :)

photo7.jpg

Justin, your tank is gorgeous I will look into both caribsea and play sand thank you all for the suggestions

Thank you :)