Will a filter from a cycled tank automatically cycle a new tank?

I have a 29 gallon tank with two fancies that has been cycled for over a year. I was running a tetra whisper 30 (145gph) and an Aqueon quiet flow 30 (200gph) on it. In both filters I use the cartridge (but remove the carbon) and also have ceramic media in there.

We just got two comets/commons that are only about 2.5 & 3.5 grams and have them in a 13g QT tub which I am currently using .3% salt and prazipro.

My goal is to upgrade the fancies to a bigger tank, (but I have yet to decide on the size), then put the little fish in the 29g.

In the meantime, I took the tetra whisper filter and put it on the QT tub with the cartridge and ceramic media still in it from the old tank. I also bought another Aqueon quiet flow 30 and put it on the main tank with new ceramic media and filter pad. Now the main tank has 2 Aqueon 30s on it with total filtration of 400 gph. One is an established filter and the other is new.

So, my question is this: Will the established filter that I took off the main tank and put on the QT tub automatically cycle it? Are the fish big enough to keep the BBs alive in the filter?

I put a cycled ac70 on my new 55 and I did get an ammonia spike, but it went away quickly. I would suggest checking parameters daily, but you should probably expect a bump in ammonia or nitrites.

I wouldn't expect a bump in your QT cuz those lil fish aren't creating much of a bioload. The BBs should keep up just fine. Some of them may go "dormant" since the bioload is less than what they are used to processing.

I would keep a close eye on the main tank, however. You just significantly decrease the number of BBs there while keeping the bioload the same.

Make sense? :idont

I wouldn't expect a bump in your QT cuz those lil fish aren't creating much of a bioload. The BBs should keep up just fine. Some of them may go "dormant" since the bioload is less than what they are used to processing.

I would keep a close eye on the main tank, however. You just significantly decrease the number of BBs there while keeping the bioload the same.

Make sense? :idont

Yes that does make sense, but when I do a water change on the main tank I alternate replacing the cartridges and have never had any cycle bump. The ceramic media just stays in there. (I only had a small amount in the tetra filter because of lack of space, so the majority of the ceramic media remains in the Aqueon filter.)

I have also removed the entire amount of gravel in the tank at once and replaced it with glass stones. I was warned that doing that could cause a cycle bump but I never had one. I'm just assuming that your BBs that you sent me have super powers :flex: because I haven't added any more ceramic media to them and my tank is incredibly stable with all of the changes that I've done!

Edited by andry6

You may be ok then. My BBs do have super powers after all. :flex:

:rofl

I would test for ammonia and nitrite in the main tank daily to every other day for a week or so to watch for any bump. The QT I'd test every 2-3 days but I don't expect any bumps in there. :D

Thank you! I'll let you know if those little super hero BBs can stand up to this test!

:lol:

I have faith! :thumbs:

Sounds good . Make sure to double dose the Prazipro if you are using it concurrently with the salt at 0.3% :)

I am :) Thank you! :) but only for the first two rounds, then I'll drop it down to .1% and normal dose of Prazipro for the next two rounds

Sounds good . Make sure to double dose the Prazipro if you are using it concurrently with the salt at 0.3% :)

I am :) Thank you! :) but only for the first two rounds, then I'll drop it down to .1% and normal dose of Prazipro for the next two rounds

Don't worry Jared. I've trained her well. :lol2

:rofl3

I can tell. She obviously knows what she's doing :thumbup2:

I can tell. She obviously knows what she's doing :thumbup2:

Don't be fooled! :teehee I don't know all that much. :teehee

I only have one year under my belt and Lisa has been with me since day one, so she is right...she trained me well :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

You may be ok then. My BBs do have super powers after all. :flex:

:rofl

I would test for ammonia and nitrite in the main tank daily to every other day for a week or so to watch for any bump. The QT I'd test every 2-3 days but I don't expect any bumps in there. :D

No cycle bump on my main tank yet and it's been 9 days! :greenbanana::redbanana::nana:carrot::panana:tbanana So far so good!! :thumb:

Seeing your question has been answered I just wanted to say, How exciting to be wanting to upgrade your tank. That's always fun. :)

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it since this will be my first (and probably not my last :teehee ) upgrade

Seeing your question has been answered I just wanted to say, How exciting to be wanting to upgrade your tank. That's always fun. :)

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it since this will be my first (and probably not my last :teehee ) upgrade
haha I hear you. We kept upgrading, but my young teen daughter started off with a 5 1/2. (I know, Yikes!) But thank goodness we kept upgrading real fast. I only wish I was smart enough to realize how fast fish grow and just purchased the bigger tank first. Would have saved us so much time.