Sign in to follow this  
LyinHead

White around the mouth, fungus maybe?

0 nitrates,nitrites,ammonia (house plants zero out the nitrates). Getting ready to do my weekly 75% water change. It's been 7 days since the last one. No meds have ever been administered by me except salt which was removed 3 weeks ago. I left the salt in for a week to deal with minor fin rot after shipping from ECR. Just noticed it last night at the corner of her mouth, I've read that fungal infections can cause this. I also know irreversible deformities can be caused also, so I wanna act quick. I dont have many meds available, but I could get Maracyn. I also wondered if I should go ahead and add salt to keep her immune system up to keep from spreading, but wasn't sure if Maracyn could be mixed with salt. Any advice would be welcome.

I'm sorry your fish seems to be having an issue. I'm sure a mod will be along shortly. In order to help them help you as quickly as possible could you post a photo of the affected area? Also filling out the D&D form would be helpful http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)0

* Nitrite Level(Tank)0

* Nitrate level(Tank)0

* Ammonia Level(Tap)0

* Nitrite Level(Tap)0

* Nitrate level(Tap)0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?API freshwater master(drops)

* Water temperature?70

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?20, since May 9

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?Fluval C3

* How often do you change the water and how much?once a week 50%-75%-50%-75%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?7days 75%

* How many fish in the tank and their size?4" ranchu 2" lionhead (both sized with tails) QT tank it is overstocked, but the ranchu will go in the 55g once cleared

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?prime

* What do you feed.repashy gel, Hikari lionhead, FBW and greens a couple times a week

* Any new fish added to the tank?the affected fish

* Any medications added to the tank?salt

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?maybe fungus around mouth

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Behavior is active,hungry, and fishy

Photo is useless from my phone

Is the sick fish from ECR? How long have you had it?

If this is a recent shipment from ECR (within the last month), I would also contact Cynthia to get her input.

See if you can try to get a video, if pics are no good. What color is your fish?

Yes, it's from ECR, this is the beginning of week 5 of having it

Yes, it's from ECR, this is the beginning of week 5 of having it

I would contact Cynthia, but regardless, a video or some good pics would be very helpful.

As to your other question about salt and meds, in many cases, it really should be one or the other, if you are using antibiotics.

Other than moving the fish between containers, i try not to handle them to often. I'm bad about my hand strength, I honestly fear hurting them in an effort to hold them still. It's at the corner of her mouth (she's dropped eggs before) like a white cold sore on a fish.

If this is a recent shipment from ECR (within the last month), I would also contact Cynthia to get her input.

See if you can try to get a video, if pics are no good. What color is your fish?

I absolutely agree. Whenever purchasing a live fish from a vendor, it's best to go to them as soon as an issue presents itself.

And Cynthia is wonderful I would contact her to get some input

Other than moving the fish between containers, i try not to handle them to often. I'm bad about my hand strength, I honestly fear hurting them in an effort to hold them still. It's at the corner of her mouth (she's dropped eggs before) like a white cold sore on a fish.

I don't handle my fish either, but I think a video or pics should work.

I hope you understand. It's really better to have visuals, when it's doable. :)

I understand, I'm a carpenter, so I try not to handle squishables. I'll see what I can come up with. And I emailed Cynthia

Cynthia is FANTASTIC!!!!! She will help you in any way she can!!!! Hope your Goldfish feels better!!!!

She's a great lookin fish, I was hoping for some Frye's Fry soon (my last name is Frye, oh yeah, growing up with that is fun). But I got to get my girl better. Like i said, she acts fine, but I don't want the condition any worse.

I'll be curious to learn what Cynthia says, but at least to me, it doesn't look like anything to be concerned about. I would watch to see if it develops into a sore or gets bigger, but I would think not.

Minor fungal infection, fungal QuickCure will probably do the trick

Is this what Cynthia wrote back to you?

Is this what Cynthia wrote back to you?

That would be my guess, Georgia.

OP, I would follow Cynthia's recommendation.

Best wishes!

Cynthia is great I'm glad she gave you some advice