Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

External parasite?

I took a photo of one of my fry in the pond today and noticed it has something attached to it I think (when I enlarged the photo).

Anyone have a guess what this is and if I should treat the pond with the babies?

It is so tiny (so is my fry...it's only 11 days old), but it is on the right hand side of the fry about halfway down it's back. The thing has a yellow 'head' and a white 'tail'.

Can you see it? Know what it is?

Thanks,

Kayla

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_0596_zps0621ad22.jpg

Can you tell if the "tail" splits into a "Y" shape at the end? I can't tell for sure in the picture. If it does, it may be an anchor worm. Also, to be on the safe side, you should fill out this form so that the moderators can see if anything is wrong in that may have caused this. The information will help them find out the problem and make the process go quicker :)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

i don't know what it is, but i thought i would enhance the photo to help others.

kaylasfry_zps7a7aff72.jpg

Justin - I don't know if it has a forked tail since I only saw it after I took the picture and enlarged it on my camera. It was just by chance that I happened to capture this photo...46 fry in a 300 gallon pond (1/2 filled) and I picked this one to take a photo of. Now I'm wondering if it is something to be concerned about for the fry.

Helen - Thank you so much for making the photo easier to see :).

It is a new pond, but I just got a new potted pond plant and put it in. I didn't treat the plant (other than rinsing it off and cleaning off dead leaves since it was in dirt in a pot).

Ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 0 pH - 6.8 , no medications added to pond, fry are acting fine.

After Helen's enhancement (Thanks Helen!) I still don't see a forks tail, so I don't think it's an anchor worm. Anchor worms are pretty common. I know the forked tail parts are egg sacs. I'm not sure if they have to be there, however. Maybe someone with more experience will know: Do anchor worms always have the egg sacs? Also, from the pictures I've seen of them, they usually have orangish-pink heads. So it is very possible it isn't an anchor worm. I'm not quite sure what else it could be. Have you tried Googling images of goldfish parasites?

i wonder if it's some loose slime coat or muck from around the pond with a particle of food or something caught in it? i am not discounting that it could be a parasite, but the trail/tail of it looks incredibly transparent which is not typical of parasites that are visible. have you isolated this fry? and do you have a microscope?

I believe this was not observed in real life, only in a photo, so it may not be attached to the fish at all. It could be above or below the fish like the larger object by the head.

Relax Kayla. Helen knows her parasites.

I believe this was not observed in real life, only in a photo, so it may not be attached to the fish at all. It could be above or below the fish like the larger object by the head.

Relax Kayla. Helen knows her parasites.

i learned a lot from you, sensei :hi5

Justin - yes, I did google parasites and couldn't find one that it resembled...I guess that's a good thing :).

Thanks Helen and Sharon :).

Well like Sharon said, it may have been a trick of the camera. Personally, I would wait and keep observing the fish. If you see any more, try to get a picture :)