can I use espom salt to treat fin rot on goldfish

I have a goldfish who's tail is quarter and more gone and it's in a hospital tank that's 2.5 gallons and has a sponge filter and new water and the rot slow down since yesterday when I put it in and now I only have some espom salt and home and I need to know how can I use Epsom salt to treat my goldfish

No, epsom salt does not treat fin rot.

Please fill out the following form completely, including the parameters, and provide clear photos of the goldfish. If clear photos aren't obtainable, please provide video.

I have reported this thread to be moved to the Diagnosis and Treatment section so that you can get the help you need in treating the fish.

-

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank)
* Nitrite Level(Tank)
* Nitrate level(Tank)
* Ammonia Level(Tap)
* Nitrite Level(Tap)
* Nitrate level(Tap)
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
* Water temperature?
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the tank and their size?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the tank?
* Any medications added to the tank?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please fill out the form Chelsea posted :).

What was the problem with the 40 gallon?

Also, 2.5 gallons is way to small for a QT tank. Walmart sells clear sterilite tubs for a few bucks. Find one that is at least ten gallons and transfer the fish to that. Or you can buy a 10 gallon tank. It's your choice.

Edited by Mikey

Okay more about my qt fish now it got more active before the small filters current was to strong for it (hang on back filter) the goldfish is about 2 inches including tail I feed it some peas I microwave them for 45 min and took the shell out, but now im worried what's a surefire way that can get the fin rot out without meds

The ammonia level was .20 ppm and I used an api liquid test kit and I did a 50 percent water change AND I NEED HELP BECAUSE NOW HALF OF MY GOLDFISH TAIL IS GONE

Okay, first off we recommend doing a 75-95% water changes every week. So doing a 50 is not the best. And there is no need to be upset we are trying to help you. I treated my fish with Melafix when she got fin rot and it worked for me. It can be found at your LFS. Wait for a mod to come along and help out

The ammonia level was .20 ppm and I used an api liquid test kit and I did a 50 percent water change AND I NEED HELP BECAUSE NOW HALF OF MY GOLDFISH TAIL IS GONE

Okay, first off we recommend doing a 75-95% water changes every week. So doing a 50 is not the best. And there is no need to be upset we are trying to help you. I treated my fish with Melafix when she got fin rot and it worked for me. It can be found at your LFS. Wait for a mod to come along and help out
It's actually 50% minimal weekly, but more is always recommended and preferred.

Melafix is a great mild treatment, but let's not start suggesting what to use.

Spirit, please as soon as you can, post some pictures of the affected fish. And like I said, get at least a ten gallon tank. That 2.5 is way too small. Even for a 2 inch fish.

Edited by Mikey

The mods need the form filled out to the best of your ability as well as pictures if possible. Otherwise they are going into trying to help you blindly. This could lead to more problems for the fish if they diagnose without the info.

Fin rot, like many diseases, is caused by many factors. They want to help you but not by guessing.

As for getting a bigger hospital tank you can also use a food safe tub of you cannot get an actual tank. A bigger tank means cleaner water throughout the day. Clean water is one of the best ways to treat a fish. If you can get your hands on a tub that would be helpful.

Edited by Mernany

As for getting a bigger hospital tank you can also use a food safe tub of you cannot get an actual tank. A bigger tank means cleaner water throughout the day. Clean water is one of the best ways to treat a fish. If you can get your hands on a tub that would be helpful.

Walmart sells clear sterilite tubs for a few bucks. Find one that is at least ten gallons and transfer the fish to that.

:teehee

Walmart sells clear sterilite tubs for a few bucks. Find one that is at least ten gallons and transfer the fish to that.

:doh11: apparently I skipped that little section haha :P

:doh11: apparently I skipped that little section haha :P

That's okay! I did that not too long ago... as in yesterday :tomuch:

Hi, I'm sorry that your fish isn't feeling well. Go ahead and answer the questions that Chelsea was nice enough to post for you. If you have a tough time finding them on the page, you can also find a link in my signature. :)

If you can describe your usual maintenance schedule and tank setup (the qt and main tank as well), it will go a long way in helping us to help you. Fin rot has many causes, but lucky for us, it's also very quick to heal, once we find the root of the problem.

I do agree that getting him into a larger container will be easier for you, but it sounds like this may be a simple issue of water quality, which may be able to be treated in the main tank.

We're eagerly awaiting your pictures, and the answers to the DnD checklist! :)

You will get the help you need as soon as we have the info we need from you. Please take the time to provide that for us. Procrastinating on doing that only causes the fish more harm because we can't treat it without that form being filled out.

• Supporter

I do agree that getting him into a larger container will be easier for you, but it sounds like this may be a simple issue of water quality, which may be able to be treated in the main tank.

^ this, i am thinking the same thing, since it sounds like the entire community of fish may require treatment... and perhaps a cycle to be established?