New fish all of a sudden NOT BREATHING

I'm really freaking out right now. My new oranda in quarentine, Alice, is all of a sudden curving onto her side, not breathing, and just floating around the tank. Every 30 secods or so she'll start breathing real quick, dart about, and then go back to the same behavior. I have a video uploading now.

I noticed last week she was starting to get some fin rot, so I hopped ontop of it and added in 5 tsp of sea salt to the 10G tank on the 15th. This morning I noticed she was pineconing a bit, so I did a 90% change to get most of the salt out.

Now this is happening, and I'm terrified I'm going to lose her.

Tank is a 10G, just had a w/c.

Results are

ph 8.0

temp 84F

Fed Tetra sinking pellets in the morning.

What can I do?!

Well, the video is only at 23%, and I haven't seen her breathe once since I posted this.

I've gently picked her up, hoping the touch would make her twitch and breathe,I've gentlly moved her forward and back in hopes of getting her gills moving again, even held her over by the airstone.

Nothing.

She's gone.

Just like that.

• Supporter

also, at 84F, if you haven't already, you may want to add an airstone.

Well, the video is only at 23%, and I haven't seen her breathe once since I posted this.

I've gently picked her up, hoping the touch would make her twitch and breathe,I've gentlly moved her forward and back in hopes of getting her gills moving again, even held her over by the airstone.

Nothing.

She's gone.

Just like that.

i'm sorry :(

I'm sorry for your loss :hug

what kind of salt did you add? Any additives to it?

Yeah, I didn't think sea salt was OK to use because of all the other minerals, etc. present in it. I thought it had to be pure sodium chloride - at least, this is what I had heard. Please correct me if this is wrong; I'd like to know.

I'm sorry for your loss :hug

what kind of salt did you add? Any additives to it?

Yeah, I didn't think sea salt was OK to use because of all the other minerals, etc. present in it. I thought it had to be pure sodium chloride - at least, this is what I had heard. Please correct me if this is wrong; I'd like to know.

Any salt with 0 additives should be okay.

I'm so sorry. It's crazy how they're there one minute and gone the next. :hug

I used Morton's Canning and Pickling salt. I've used it before with no problems.

I'll still upload the video when it finishes.

That salt is perfectly fine and actually what we recommend here. Has anything else changed in the tank recently?

I used Morton's Canning and Pickling salt. I've used it before with no problems.

oh okay, that's fine. You said sea salt above so I was a little wary.

For the longest time I had used pure sea salt before getting the Mortons, so that's probably where it came from amidst my panic.

That salt is perfectly fine and actually what we recommend here. Has anything else changed in the tank recently?

No, nothing. I gave her filter a quick rinse like I had during previous water changes, added in the baking soda as normal,etc. Only thing different was how much water I changed, since I usually only do 50%.

For the longest time I had used pure sea salt before getting the Mortons, so that's probably where it came from amidst my panic.

No, nothing. I gave her filter a quick rinse like I had during previous water changes, added in the baking soda as normal,etc. Only thing different was how much water I changed, since I usually only do 50%.

Did you use treated water to rinse the media? Also, are the parameters of your tap water a lot different than those of the tank? If so, a large W/C may have shocked her. Like Lisa (fantailfan1) inquired, are you sure you used water conditioner? Once, I didn't and all of my fish displayed raspy breathing until I realized my (HUGE) mistake.

DOUBLE SNIPED--- WHAT?!

Edited by Justin

How long ago did you get her? What are your tap and tank ph?

Sorry for your loss. :hug

What is your tap pH?

Sniped lol

I got her on July 1st, and other than the bit of tail rot she started to come down with last week, she was doing wonderfully.

Tap ph is crap (5/6), so baking soda is added to the water jugs before adding it to the tank to bring it up to 8.

I know I added in my Prime, and the filter was rinsed in the last bucket of water I took from the tank before I dumped it.

EDIT-Needless to say, that tank is getting the full scrubdown tomorrow regardless.

Edited by SynthHermit

How long ago did you get her? What are your tap and tank ph?

Sorry for your loss. :hug

What is your tap pH?

Sniped lol

I got her on July 1st, and other than the bit of tail rot she started to come down with last week, she was doing wonderfully.

Tap ph is crap (5/6), so baking soda is added to the water jugs before adding it to the tank to bring it up to 8.

I know I added in my Prime, and the filter was rinsed in the last bucket of water I took from the tank before I dumped it.

Sounds to me like you were doing everything right. Are you sure you were adding the correct amount of baking soda (especially since you changed more water than usual)? Was that behavior new? Or has it been present but has progressed? Too much baking soda may increase the sodium ions present in the water to intolerable levels. Were you only treating the amount of water that you changed with the buffer or did you add enough for the whole tank each time?

Edited by Justin

I only have 2 1G jugs that I use to refill (no room to store anything else :c), so the water sat in the jugs for about 5 minutes before being added to the tank. I've always done it that way with no problem.

And I'm nearly positive that I did. 6/8 tsp for the whole 10g tank, 3/8 tsp for a 50% change, and I added in just shy of 5/8 tsp for this 90% change.

Sounds to me like you were doing everything right. Are you sure you were adding the correct amount of baking soda (especially since you changed more water than usual)? Was that behavior new? Or has it been present but has progressed? Too much baking soda may increase the sodium ions present in the water to intolerable levels. Were you only treating the amount of water that you changed with the buffer or did you add enough for the whole tank each time?

I only treated the water coming in. This not breathing thing just started happening right before she died. Before that she was acting fine, only thing odd was that she didn't eat this morning. I had fed them really early this morning before I went to bed (about 4am my time), so I didnt' think anything of it.

Edited by SynthHermit

I have no idea what my kH is, but around this time last year I had a mod helping me ( I think it was dnalex, if I recall correctly,but don't quote me on that), and that was how much he told me to add in. I've been doing it that way with my fantail Picasso for over a year, and she's always been just fine. Same with Alice, until today.

I have no idea what my kH is, but around this time last year I had a mod helping me ( I think it was dnalex, if I recall correctly,but don't quote me on that), and that was how much he told me to add in. I've been doing it that way with my fantail Picasso for over a year, and she's always been just fine. Same with Alice, until today.

I meant too much for a 10 gallon tank :teehee

EDIT: Wait, I think I am reading your post wrong. My bad. I was reading 6 to 8 teaspoons.

Edited by Mikey

No it's not. If she's adding 3/4 tsp to 10 gallons she's raising the KH about 75. And if her tap pH is only around 6, I'd say she needs to raise the KH/pH at least that amount . . . .

If she was pineconing this morning, there was probably some sort of internal infection that took over too quickly to do anything about. It sounds like she's got the water change thing figured out in my opinion.