Old fish, new fish, need tank upgrade advice

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who needs a TV? :idont

:rofl3

Seriously! That wall would be perfect!

My husband was just telling me that he could run piping up from the basement in that nook behind the tank for my water changes. That might at least solve the bucket issue.

He really dislikes my blue buckets. :thumbdown

I'm getting so used to them that I almost don't even notice them any more! Plus, my arms are getting an awesome workout carrying those buckets from the kitchen, through the dining room to the living room. :rofl3

Who needs a TV? :idont

:rofl3

Seriously! That wall would be perfect!

My husband was just telling me that he could run piping up from the basement in that nook behind the tank for my water changes. That might at least solve the bucket issue.

He really dislikes my blue buckets. :thumbdown

I'm getting so used to them that I almost don't even notice them any more! Plus, my arms are getting an awesome workout carrying those buckets from the kitchen, through the dining room to the living room. :rofl3

I use my shower to refill by hose with an adapter. The shower head screws off (while none of my sinks do) and I can attach the adapter/hose, adjust temp through the tub faucet and then presto! Pull the switch to make it go through the shower and I have already adjusted water. Plus my shower has higher water pressure than my taps so the refill is quicker.

Good luck with the tank placement! Aesthetics wise at least yours is a showpiece though! Lovely setup!

Both my kitchen sink and my bathroom sink are pretty much identical to yours. I don't think there is an adapter to fit them. :idont

I use a pond pump to change my water. I attach plastic tubing to the pump in the tank and plug it in, with the other end of the tubing in the sink, as it drains. When I refill, I simply reverse it, and put the pump in a bucket in the sink while the tube is in the tank. The sink is continuously running into the bucket. I treat the entire volume of the tank with Prime before I fill, it neutralizes the chlorine instantly as it pours into the tank.

This is what I have been doing too. I have one dedicated fish bucket. I put the bucket in the sink and fill it, and I use this pump (it goes in the bucket of water) http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68395.html and my Aqueon Water Changer. It's cheap and easy.

As for tanks, are you interested in upgrading your current tank or just buying one new one? As mentioned, the 40 breeder is a nice tank because of the size and it actually holds more than 40 gallons. If you have space and want two tanks, a 55 is nice too. I like the 4-foot viewing panel and 4-foot stretch for swimming space.

Both my kitchen sink and my bathroom sink are pretty much identical to yours. I don't think there is an adapter to fit them. :idont

I use a pond pump to change my water. I attach plastic tubing to the pump in the tank and plug it in, with the other end of the tubing in the sink, as it drains. When I refill, I simply reverse it, and put the pump in a bucket in the sink while the tube is in the tank. The sink is continuously running into the bucket. I treat the entire volume of the tank with Prime before I fill, it neutralizes the chlorine instantly as it pours into the tank.

This is what I have been doing too. I have one dedicated fish bucket. I put the bucket in the sink and fill it, and I use this pump (it goes in the bucket of water) http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68395.html and my Aqueon Water Changer. It's cheap and easy.

As for tanks, are you interested in upgrading your current tank or just buying one new one? As mentioned, the 40 breeder is a nice tank because of the size and it actually holds more than 40 gallons. If you have space and want two tanks, a 55 is nice too. I like the 4-foot viewing panel and 4-foot stretch for swimming space.

after all of the advice here, maybe my best option is to just get one large tank and put all 4 fish in it and be done. My worry now will be, even after QT, could I possibly contaminate my old fish with something and risk getting them sick? I am a worry wart.

after all of the advice here, maybe my best option is to just get one large tank and put all 4 fish in it and be done. My worry now will be, even after QT, could I possibly contaminate my old fish with something and risk getting them sick? I am a worry wart.

I would personally do an extra long QT, for fish that are coming from a source that is questionable, I'd do 2 mos instead of 1, but I too am a worry wart and tend to be overly cautious :P That gives you long enough to watch for anything new to crop up. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much. There is certainly always some amount of risk introducing new fish, but if you do a good long QT you will have mitigated those risks significantly.

If you follow our quarantine procedure for a month and your little guys still look as healthy as they do now, there is very little chance that they can bring in any problems. Have you ever prazied your current fish? If not, you should treat them now. They could be carrying parasites that don't bother them, but could be a problem for the new fish.

Would you take another picture of the living room from the outside door area? Then we can see the whole room and should be able to come up with furniture arrangement ideas. I love rearranging furniture if I don't have to do the moving. :D

I would personally do an extra long QT, for fish that are coming from a source that is questionable, I'd do 2 mos instead of 1, but I too am a worry wart and tend to be overly cautious :P That gives you long enough to watch for anything new to crop up. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much. There is certainly always some amount of risk introducing new fish, but if you do a good long QT you will have mitigated those risks significantly.

I was thinking about doing that! Should I still do only 4 rounds of Prazipro? or should I do the full 6 just to be safe?

If you follow our quarantine procedure for a month and your little guys still look as healthy as they do now, there is very little chance that they can bring in any problems. Have you ever prazied your current fish? If not, you should treat them now. They could be carrying parasites that don't bother them, but could be a problem for the new fish.

Would you take another picture of the living room from the outside door area? Then we can see the whole room and should be able to come up with furniture arrangement ideas. I love rearranging furniture if I don't have to do the moving. :D

I will post a picture as soon as I get home. My daughter is playing in a softball tournament today and I'm on my way out the door! Stay tuned! :teehee

Re: the Prazi...yes I just did 1 round just a few weeks ago as "maintenance" and prior to that I've done it twice. Once shortly after I first got them and once about 6 months later.

Here you go. Our house is pretty small, so the only place I can see that I could put the tank is in the current location. I like how I have that little space behind it right now to hide the cords and the HOB filters fit nicely in that space. Plus, that is where my husband would run water lines up from the basement for water changes.

Believe me, I struggle with furniture placement in this room because the two largest walls are across from each other with a fireplace on one and a large window on the other. There is only one place to put the couch and two places to put the love seat. We switch the piano and the entertainment center and flip the love seat to the other side. I wish someone had an idea of how else we could set this room up, because it's a real struggle! :wall

002_zps1442934e.jpg?t=1405880503001_zps3a395c9c.jpg?t=1405880568003_zpsb16dc8e5.jpg?t=1405794254

What about putting the piano behind the loveseat, in place of the sofa table, and putting a 75 where the piano was? It looks like you actually would gain space there because the tank wouldn't stick out as far as the piano bench.

Or put the piano where the TV is and either mount the TV above it or just put the TV on the top of the piano. Then do away with the TV stand.

Mounting the TV is not a terrible idea, however, there are still a couple things to think about there. First, mounting a TV over a piano or fish tank or fireplace or whatever will usually put it too high. By too high I mean that the viewer will have to be looking up all the time when they are watching TV. No thanks. Also, there is still the issue of where to put the cable box, dvd player, etc etc etc if the TV stand is eliminated.

Mounting the TV is not a terrible idea, however, there are still a couple things to think about there. First, mounting a TV over a piano or fish tank or fireplace or whatever will usually put it too high. By too high I mean that the viewer will have to be looking up all the time when they are watching TV. No thanks. Also, there is still the issue of where to put the cable box, dvd player, etc etc etc if the TV stand is eliminated.

This is exactly why we never mounted it.

I guess our only option is to put it where the current tank is and move the dog's crate! (I don't like it there anyway)

Now, all I have to do is find a 75 gallon tank and stand for a reasonable price.

I guess our only option is to put it where the current tank is and move the dog's crate! (I don't like it there anyway)

Now, all I have to do is find a 75 gallon tank and stand for a reasonable price.

How far are you from Kalamazoo MI? I have one sitting in my basement. I also have a light that would be considered a "shop light" that I painted black for it. Holds 2 bulbs. I also have a Fluval 405 canister filter if you are interested. I can post pictures later of you can search my threads, I am sure there is one about it, but it wont be in a for sale section.

How far are you from Kalamazoo MI? I have one sitting in my basement. I also have a light that would be considered a "shop light" that I painted black for it. Holds 2 bulbs. I also have a Fluval 405 canister filter if you are interested. I can post pictures later of you can search my threads, I am sure there is one about it, but it wont be in a for sale section.

We are 20 minutes south of Cleveland, Ohio. I also thought about going on CL to see what was in the area, but something worries me about buying a used tank. I don't know why. I worry that I'll get it and it'll spring a leak or something! (that would be my luck) :P

:cry Ok, so my husband is totally against having a 75 gallon tank in the living room. He said it's just too big for that room. Once we refinish our basement, we could possibly put one that size down there, but that won't be for a while.

I don't know what I am going to do. :cry

I was thinking of going back to my original idea. Put this 29 gallon on my son's dresser. I would put the two new little babies in the 29 gallon and upgrade slightly for my fancies. What is the "smallest" tank I could safely house these fancies? I don't know how much bigger they are going to get. I thought I was good with the 29 gallon for them.

Thank you for all of the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time. My husband just totally rained on my parade. :cry