Old fish, new fish, need tank upgrade advice

Ok, so I have a dilemma. Up until a few days ago, we had two fancies in a 29 gallon tank. When I first began this journey a little over a year ago, I had no idea how fast they would grow. I still don't know how much more they will grow, but I was under the impression that the current tank would be ok for the two of them as long as I didn't add more. (Which, by the way, I had no intention of doing!)

Then, a few days ago, my 19 year old daughter "won" a goldfish at the nursing home she works at. Long story short, they had carnival day with the residents and this was her prize. Great. :doh11: Now we have another fish. Fast forward to yesterday. I started to think, well, I can't put this little guy in the current tank, so I'll have to get a new tank. But he will be lonely, so we bought him a friend. Yes, now we have 4 fish. :P (Is this process going to keep repeating itself...because I don't think I'm ready!)

Anyway, here is my current tank with a calico fantail, and a white oranda, both under two years old, and are about 60-65g each (345gph filtration on the tank)

002_zps1d74d038.jpg?t=1405788318

and here are the new little guys, currently in a plastic storage QT "bin" until I purchase the new tank:

002_zps113f00f3.jpg?t=1405708338Sushi_zps18d7ba1d.jpg?t=1405784824

So my dilemma is this:

What size tank do I buy? Do I put the new common/comets (not sure what they are) in the old tank and upgrade the fancies? If so, what size do I upgrade them to? :idont

Or...do I leave the fancies and get the new tank for the new fish? Again, what size? From what I have been reading, these little guys can grow huge!

And, I don't want to start "collecting" tanks, buying for now and upgrading later, leaving me with empty tanks stored in my basement. I really only want to buy one more tank.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think two tanks would be better. I don't think I'm ready for a gigantic tank to house all 4 based on how big the commons/comet may get. The one I have now is in the living room and I'm thinking of putting the other one in my son's bedroom.

Your pretty little comets may get to be big -- about as big as the fantail and oranda will get. Wherever the idea that comets get bigger than fancies came from, it certainly wasn't experience. The longest common goldfish on record is a few inches longer than the longest oranda, but the largest goldfish (in terms of mass) are fancies -- most often ryukins. The reason is pretty simple. The giant fancies are show fish which have been overfed from hatching to make them as big as possible. The record-size commons all come from ponds or lakes. They don't get that size in an aquarium.

If you are sure you aren't going to get more fish, I suggest you get a 75 gallon tank for all 4 fish (once the babies are out of quarantine). All of the fish will enjoy the swimming space, and the hassle of one large tank is much less than two smaller ones. You can keep the 30 gallon for a hospital tank or other emergency uses.

If you lose control and wind up with more fish, it's time to build your pond.

I do agree with Sharon that one big tank is easier to maintain than two smaller ones. So if a 75 is an option, I'd do that. But if you simply don't have the space and 2 40Bs will work, go for that. :D

2 40 gallon breeders would work well, but I won't like having to do 2 water changes. I'd go with the 75 gallon or if you are thinking about another fish in the future a 100 gallon would be awesome.

I would upgrade the fancies since they are so much bigger--40B or a 75 gallon. :D:lol2

Then plan on doing the same for the little guys eventually.

PS Your fancies look FABULOUS BTW. :D

Oh thank you! :wub: I can't believe how they've grown!

So...if I buy a 75 gallon and put all four fish in that tank...and never buy another fish...will this be the last tank I'll need to buy?

This is the space (or lack thereof) that I'm working with...that's why I was thinking of putting the other one in my son's bedroom.

Notice the "blue bucket system" I have going. It's the only way of doing water changes that I can think of. (and I'm sure there is a better way), but from what I can tell, the Python is not compatible to either my kitchen or bathroom faucets, but I could be wrong. And believe me, my husband is getting pretty sick of seeing the blue buckets. I usually fill them the night before my water changes so I'm sure they come to room temperature. If anyone has an easier way, PLEASE let me know!! (I should start another thread "how do you do water changes?" :)

DSC_0729_zps3831428f.jpg?t=1405722784

and as far as a pond...I wouldn't know the first thing about starting one, and I would worry about them during our extremely cold northeast Ohio winters!

edited to add a better pic!

Oh...and there's a fireplace next to the piano, so there is literally no other place to put the tank!!

Edited by andry6

A 40 B is 3 ft long and a 75 is 4 feet long. Both are 18 inches back to front. :D

Can you post a pic of your faucets? There may be adapters available. I had to get an adapter to hook up to my utility sink . . . :idont

Many here in Michigan have ponds, so it isn't something to worry on even in the cold.

Do your sinks have an aerator on the end? Most aerators unscrew and that's how you attach it. Sometimes you really have to twist the aerators to get them off. About 95-98% of us use pythons for WCs so that's thr most common answer you'll find. ;)

No, the 75 may not be the last tank. But it's a start.

Edited by ChelseaM

Kitchen: (please excuse the dirty underside...never really thought about cleaning that when I wipe the faucet! :teehee)

that gray thing underneath doesn't look like it comes off...not sure how it works, but the button on top of the faucet turns the sprayer on

003_zps6484add1.jpg?t=1405723665004_zpsf78720c8.jpg?t=1405723740

bathroom: nothing appears to be able to unscrew on this one either

96959892-7e2b-4159-a94c-16492dae8fd1_zps

Both my kitchen sink and my bathroom sink are pretty much identical to yours. I don't think there is an adapter to fit them. :idont

I use a pond pump to change my water. I attach plastic tubing to the pump in the tank and plug it in, with the other end of the tubing in the sink, as it drains. When I refill, I simply reverse it, and put the pump in a bucket in the sink while the tube is in the tank. The sink is continuously running into the bucket. I treat the entire volume of the tank with Prime before I fill, it neutralizes the chlorine instantly as it pours into the tank.

I hook my Python up to the hose faucet outside. It works well, and the water that goes outside waters the trees.

That would be great, except in the winter! We have to shut the water to the outside faucets off so the pipes don't freeze :teehee

Yes the bathroom faucet will unscrew. I agree with going with the 75 if possible. Otherwise I also suggest the 40 gallon as the smallest tank for 2 fish. The Aqueon 55/75 filter is rated 400 gph so it is a perfect match for the 40 gallon. Or I would put two of them on the 75. That's just what I like. Not saying it's the BEST. And it is my opinion that if you get a 75 you will not NEED to buy a bigger tank. But if you are like me, you will probably WANT to :)

Yes the bathroom faucet will unscrew. I agree with going with the 75 if possible. Otherwise I also suggest the 40 gallon as the smallest tank for 2 fish. The Aqueon 55/75 filter is rated 400 gph so it is a perfect match for the 40 gallon. Or I would put two of them on the 75. That's just what I like. Not saying it's the BEST. And it is my opinion that if you get a 75 you will not NEED to buy a bigger tank. But if you are like me, you will probably WANT to :)

my husband just looked at if for me, and you are right, it does come off :) (he wasn't home before for me to ask him)

And, my only worry on the 75 is where to put it. Did you see how small my living room is?