Sign in to follow this  
goldone

is this a tumor? :-(

I've had him/her for about 5 years. The bump started out small but recently it got bigger :-(

IMG_20140718_200344.jpg

IMG_20140718_200224.jpg

it looks to be. but don't be too concerned, it shouldn't affect the health of your fish. external tumors are usually quite harmless. they can be cut off with not a huge deal of effort, but unfortunately, in my experience, they do regrow after a few months of having cut them flush to the scales.

thanks for your reply. Would putting potassium permanganate on it help? Or just leaving it alone be best. Are these terminal? :-(

Edit: I just read this, *external link removed*

Feed intoxications can happen in aquarium settings. The most common of these is a result of feeding fish foods contaminated with the aflatoxin produced by Aspergillus flavus, a mold that grows on the feed. When this aflatoxin is eaten, it causes rapid growth of tumors and a high death rate. Moldy feeds should always be discarded.

that might explain it, I feed her these flakes and they do kind of get soggy when I get to the bottom of the food container.

Edited by Helen

in my experience, external tumors are not terminal. you can check the ingredients on the food of which you feed to see if this is so. for my fish, he was fed a diet of home made gelfood, Repashy products and fresh (softened) vegetables and he still had tumors growing. so i feel that it is very much to the individual more so than the feeds. that said, the feeds can be a contributing factor to the growth rate of the tumor.

As unsightly as a tumor can be, luckily they're almost always benign in nature. :) But I'm sure your fish would appreciate the benefits an good staple pellet or gel food would offer regardless!