Sign in to follow this  
redfish

Back to sand

Very unlikely to get any anaerobic bacteria pockets in 1/2 inch of sand (only 1/4 inch in places). Deeper sand or gravel is more concerning.

I used (2) 5 pound bags of Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon sand...so 10 pounds total, in my 40G breeder (36" x 18" bottom) and it just covered. Enough for the fish to enjoy, add some interest to the tank, but not enough to cause issues. :)

So two 5 pound bags were enough for your 40 gallon? I am thinking of going to sand also, so how much would be good for my 20 gallon long tank? (30 inches by 12 1/2 inches bottom)

Very unlikely to get any anaerobic bacteria pockets in 1/2 inch of sand (only 1/4 inch in places). Deeper sand or gravel is more concerning.

I used (2) 5 pound bags of Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon sand...so 10 pounds total, in my 40G breeder (36" x 18" bottom) and it just covered. Enough for the fish to enjoy, add some interest to the tank, but not enough to cause issues. :)

So two 5 pound bags were enough for your 40 gallon? I am thinking of going to sand also, so how much would be good for my 20 gallon long tank? (30 inches by 12 1/2 inches bottom)

One pound per gallon will give you approximately 1-1.5" on the bottom. Using 10lbs for 40 gallons is quite a small amount, which is good because it inhibits the growth of harmful anaerobic bacteria. That will give you about .25".

10 pounds gives me 1/2 inch coverage actually. Might be a couple spots that is thinner. But not by much.
I used a 20 pound bag in a 45 gallon bow front (30" x 12"...but 15" at the bow edge) ...it was 1 1/2 inches deep! Too much! I took out almost half. That is how I knew 2 5 pound bags was plenty for a good 1/2 inch coverage.

For a 20G...buy 2 5 pound bags anyway, use enough to get a 1/2 depth, and keep the extra to replace as you lose sand. Which we do a tiny bit here & there from vacuuming the surface or general cleaning.

Edited by Red

OK thank you! I was thinking of getting a bag of black and a bag of white to mix so 2 bags will be perfect. But also I know how much to use in my 30 gallon tank if I change it to sand also.

I bought one 20 lb bag to cover my 50 gallon, and it gave me plenty of coverage, probably an inch or slightly more. The bag says 20 lb per 20 gal, which is just crazy. I told the guy at the pet store this when I returned the second bag.

Edited by *Amanda*

I just bought some sand for my pond.. cant see them :rofl

OK thank you! I was thinking of getting a bag of black and a bag of white to mix so 2 bags will be perfect. But also I know how much to use in my 30 gallon tank if I change it to sand also.

You're welcome.

Now if you were to want to plant (other than java fern or anubias that can be tied to rocks), you'd need deeper substrate. If I ever got that route, I would do an inch to two inches (to shape it) in places of planting substrate with a 1/2 inch sand "cap".

And...sand is gone.
I bought the Super Naturals Tahitian Moon Sand this time. Site said 0.5mm - 1 mm. The Instant Aquarium said same...but is more pricey. So went with the Super Naturals. Having had the Instant Aquarium one in the past was expecting the grain size of that.
When it came it was super fine. Much finer than my old sand was. Washed it up and used it anyway.

Olaf started flashing badly. Rubbing in the corners of the floor of tank. Something was irritating him. Noticed a few grains of sand on his sides. Sides had lost scales...almost meaty looking!!
He is now in a tub, salt to .3%. Stopped flashing instantly. Still see a couple grains of sand on him. :( This is day 3 in the tub. He is calm and eating well. Sides look no worse...hope he heals up. I have API General Cure if I find I need antibiotics if it looks infected later...

Removed the sand today. Zelda was fine with it. But not Olaf. Poor goof.
I used a new dust pan to scoop out the sand. Just went to wipe the sand sticking to it off...now that it has had time to dry. Some of this "sand" looks like flakes of shiny paint. Odd...and not at all what TMS was a couple years back...

So many things are getting to be inferior quality these days.....

Edited by Red

Yikes, that horrible, Lori. I'm sorry. :(

Thanks Alex.
You still use TMS right? Remember the nice large, heavier grain sizes? This batch is super fine. So odd. Still seemed to settle quickly if stirred up. But seems sharper or something. So disappointed. I love the look, and the fish always seem to love sifting.

Maybe I'll try a fine gravel sometime.

Thanks Alex.

You still use TMS right? Remember the nice large, heavier grain sizes? This batch is super fine. So odd. Still seemed to settle quickly if stirred up. But seems sharper or something. So disappointed. I love the look, and the fish always seem to love sifting.

Maybe I'll try a fine gravel sometime.

That's crazy. I would not want finer sand.

Yes, I still have the TMS. :)

Oh great, this scares me now! :yikes It is the TMS I have been wanting to buy :doh11: I don't want that to happen to my little Goldfish :wacko: Not sure if I should buy one of the 2 different kinds of black sand that I seen now. One is Petco Brand and the other is called Stoney River Premium Aquarium Sand sold at the feed store.

I wonder if the white sand that I wanted to buy to mix with the TMS is good, it is the CaribSea Crystal River kind. Now I am even more confused as what to buy :no:

Most things beyond very basic,

I have to order online, sight unseen.

If you can find TMS in a store, check grain size. May be just fine. I may have gotten an end of batch bag. Quality control may be lacking, who knows.I do like TMS... just not this fine stuff. Crystal River I am not sure about.

I seem to recall TMS previously was 1mm-3mm though....Now it says .5mm-1mm...so I think it has changed.

Edited by Red

Most things beyond very basic,

I have to order online, sight unseen.

If you can find TMS in a store, check grain size. May be just fine. I may have gotten an end of batch bag. Quality control may be lacking, who knows.I do like TMS... just not this fine stuff. Crystal River I am not sure about.

I seem to recall TMS previously was 1mm-3mm though....Now it says .5mm-1mm...so I think it has changed.

That's the problem, I looked in 7 pet stores the other day and couldn't find TMS at all anywhere. I only seen the 2 kinds I mentioned above. I see it for sale on Petco online and Amazon and Drs Foster and Smith. It said it is 0.1 to 0.3 mm. Hmmmm Guess I will think things over a while....

Five days in .3% salt, Olaf is looking really good. Chewed up sides healed up. I can see bits of the sand stuck there! I think it will work itself out in time. I'm leaving him in the QT for another few days to be sure. And no flashing/rubbing still. No more sand for Olaf!
:)

Edited by Red

Your fish are getting chunky Red! they make that 40 look small! Sorry the sand didn't work out

And...sand is gone.

I bought the Super Naturals Tahitian Moon Sand this time. Site said 0.5mm - 1 mm. The Instant Aquarium said same...but is more pricey. So went with the Super Naturals. Having had the Instant Aquarium one in the past was expecting the grain size of that.

When it came it was super fine. Much finer than my old sand was. Washed it up and used it anyway.

Olaf started flashing badly. Rubbing in the corners of the floor of tank. Something was irritating him. Noticed a few grains of sand on his sides. Sides had lost scales...almost meaty looking!!

He is now in a tub, salt to .3%. Stopped flashing instantly. Still see a couple grains of sand on him. :( This is day 3 in the tub. He is calm and eating well. Sides look no worse...hope he heals up. I have API General Cure if I find I need antibiotics if it looks infected later...

Removed the sand today. Zelda was fine with it. But not Olaf. Poor goof.

I used a new dust pan to scoop out the sand. Just went to wipe the sand sticking to it off...now that it has had time to dry. Some of this "sand" looks like flakes of shiny paint. Odd...and not at all what TMS was a couple years back...

So many things are getting to be inferior quality these days.....

Interesting that you experienced this. I went with the Super Naturals Moonlight sand, which is the white version of TMS and slightly finer. I recently covered it up with Activ-Flora gravel, primarily because the poop was so visible and to help with plant growth, but also because the sand was getting stuck all over my goldfish! I didn't think it was irritating them, but it could have been. Since I went from only sand in the tank to my new substrate (plus plants and driftwood), though, my fish have all been much more active and social. Hmmm ...