Back to sand

I decided to go back to Tahitian Moon Sand in my 40 breeder. Am a little worried about the AC filters, as the 40 B is so short. And these two are BUSY fish! haha Have the intakes half way up the side. Fingers crossed.
I recently added new java fern in hopes that they lost their taste for it...nope, my two LOVE java fern,,nom nom...
So adding sand hoping to keep them busy foraging and maybe my java ferns will survive!?

I'll add pics later, sand is still settling. :)

I've had problems with sand clogging up my motor and it sounds awful. :rofl Many members actually use prefilters for their intakes, and it prevents a large percentage of sand from getting in. However, prefilters require a bit more maintenance, as all the debris are being caught there, so it needs to be removed and rinsed off frequently.

I bet it looks great! Can't wait for pics. :)

One quick, out of focus pic :) They are never still.
The little subs of java behind Olaf used to look like those on the other side. haha Salad!! The java ferns are only a week old, so not very lush....but tasty apparently! Glass sculpture may or may not be put back. Thinking on new looks, so plain & boring ATM.

04006e1c-f467-4741-ab87-f45d5416525d.jpg

Edited by Red

I love your tank with the black sand! :heart

I remember seeing your tank with the glass sculpture a year ago, and I thought it was just gorgeous!

In fact, my initial tank setup was kinda based on yours... :wub:

Thank you :) I'm flattered that my tank inspired you.

Gorgeous Goldfish, stylish tank, I like it!

Tank with sand is hard to be maintain but on the other hand the sand contains a lot of useful bacteria.

I had a prefilter, but took it off because it looked disgusting after just 2 days and not all the icky stuff could be rinsed off. I have the Super Naturals Moonlight sand, and so far have not had any issue with sand getting into my filter and causing trouble. (I'm sure it's in there, but I haven't noticed any problems caused by it. The sand is very, very fine).

I do love watching my fish sift through the sand. The white sand really showcases the poop, though, so this weekend I will be adding Activ-Flora Lake Gems gravel, which will also help my plants. [emoji1]

Edited by *Amanda*

I love the look of sand in an aquarium, but I never had it in any of my tanks before. Is it better than aquarium gravel when cleaning? Do you have to vacuum sand like you have to vacuum aquarium gravel?

I love the look of sand in an aquarium, but I never had it in any of my tanks before. Is it better than aquarium gravel when cleaning? Do you have to vacuum sand like you have to vacuum aquarium gravel?

I have had sand in the past. Today I re-added it :) So in my experience I think keeping the sand at a depth of no more than 1/2 inch is best in goldfish tanks. Vacuuming has never been necessary, but the poop showing at times doesn't bother me, and is usually quickly filtered away anyway. Debris doesn't sink into sand...it sits on top. So safer than gravel in that way. If you do want to vacuum, you just swirl the vacuum gently just above area needing vacuuming, sucking debris as it floats up. :)

If one wanted to plant a sand substrate, I believe dirting (or Floramax type substrate) with a 1/2 inch sand cap works well...and sand is then cared for as I said above :)

Edited by Red

You treat sand like a bare bottom tank I believe. Just skim the top of it to get debris.

You treat sand like a bare bottom tank I believe. Just skim the top of it to get debris.

Yep! Make sure you hover 2-3 inches above or you'll be left with no sand! The great thing is that it's so dense the debris sits right in top! Also, I always try to recommend disturbing the sand every so often to get rid of anaerobic pockets. Occasionally, I'll do that and large pockets of bubbles rise. Especially with your active fish, you wouldn't want them finding those pockets of potentially harmful anaerobic bacteria!

Very unlikely to get any anaerobic bacteria pockets in 1/2 inch of sand (only 1/4 inch in places). Deeper sand or gravel is more concerning.

I used (2) 5 pound bags of Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon sand...so 10 pounds total, in my 40G breeder (36" x 18" bottom) and it just covered. Enough for the fish to enjoy, add some interest to the tank, but not enough to cause issues. :)

Very unlikely to get any anaerobic bacteria pockets in 1/2 inch of sand (only 1/4 inch in places). Deeper sand or gravel is more concerning.

I used (2) 5 pound bags of Caribsea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon sand...so 10 pounds total, in my 40G breeder (36" x 18" bottom) and it just covered. Enough for the fish to enjoy, add some interest to the tank, but not enough to cause issues. :)

Yeah, anaerobic pockets are more likely to form in deeper sand. Your fish being very active and disturbing the sand should also inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. By the way, I love your aquarium! I've always been a big fan of minimalistic designs!

I love the look of your tank with the black sand. How much do your fish weigh? They make your tank look like a 29 gallon. They are big babie.

Ps. I've had to settle for anubias because most every other plant I've tired ends up eaten or in shreds.

Edited by LisaCGold

I don't know how much they weigh, have never weighed them. They do make the 40B look small!

I had anubias before also, gave them and previous java fern away when they were ripping my java fern apart. haha Decided to try again. Keeping an eye out for anubias too. Rarely get them in our local pet stores though.