Sign in to follow this  
Fish Of Gold

Just noticed my Fish's mouth is crooked

Dreamsicle my new Goldfish has a crooked mouth. I didn't notice till I took pictures of him today. Is it supposed to be that way or is his mouth deformed? :hummm

Dreamsicle32.jpgDreamsicle8.jpg

hello, sometimes fish are born with deformities as this, other times they can occur with parasites such as flukes etc.. thank you for posting pics, if you can answer all the questions below, that will be helpful.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

My comet Remmy has a crooked mouth, not nearly as crooked as Dreamsicle's but almost. I suspect it was due to fluke damage as a baby, but thankfully never got worse as she grew up. She still eats just fine and is huge nowadays XD Here's hoping the mods don't find anything seriously wrong and that it's just a deformity!

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) ~ 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) ~ 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) ~0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) ~0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) ~0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) ~0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ~KH- 180, GH-180, PH-7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ~KH-240, GH-180, PH-8.0
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Ammonia kit: Jungle, Other kit: API. Both are strips tests.
    • * Water temperature? 69 degrees
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 2o gallon, long tank. Been running for aprox 6 months. (Used to have my Betta fish in it but moved the last one out to a different tank.
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Filter brand: TopFin 30, Filter size large.
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week water change on Saturday or Sunday every week. Would change 25% of water when Bettas were in there. I haven't made a change of the Goldfish water yet, it will be tomorrow. Goldfish has not been in tank for even a week yet because I just bought him.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Almost a week ago (Last Sunday) today is Friday.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? One Fantail Goldfish, size about 2 inches including tail.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? water conditioner: Prime, Bacteria Supplement: Marineland Bacteria, Sometimes I add API Stress Coat, and API Aquarium Salt for freshwater fish.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Received a free sample of Tetra Fin Goldfish flakes, I feed once a day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No he is the only fish in there right now, but before I put him in, I took out my Betta fish and put my Betta in 6.6 gallon tank.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Just Stress Coat and API aquarium salt for freshwater fish.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. No medications for illness or parasites used right now.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One tiny hole in top fin, and crooked mouth.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, he eats very well and is very active. Eagerly comes to the front of the tank when I walk past the aquarium or when I come into the room.
  • Here is a picture of the little hole in his top fin:.......

Dreamsicle20.jpg

ok :)

for a normal routine, all you need in the water is fresh water and prime :) changed weekly, nothing more.. save your $$, the other products are not needed and i recommend that you stop using them from this point forward :)

i do believe you need to prazi this fish can you order this product please? http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=171&catId=1 be sure to order enough as once it's received, you will need to carry out the following treatment plan:

FIVE DAY ROUNDS
Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

i also notice that your PH in the tank drops after a water change. with some baking soda or product 'Seachem - Alkaline Buffer' you can correct this with each water change.

One of my fish had a deformed mouth, and she ate OK as long as she got small bites. She didn't grow as much as the others, and I wonder if her mouth was a factor. Also, when I feed peas or if she had needed MetroMeds, I would make sure to give her smaller bits. That might not apply to your fish because her mouth deformity was different. :)

for a normal routine, all you need in the water is fresh water and prime :) changed weekly, nothing more.. save your $$, the other products are not needed and i recommend that you stop using them from this point forward :)

i do believe you need to prazi this fish can you order this product please? http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=171&catId=1 be sure to order enough as once it's received, you will need to carry out the following treatment plan:

FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

I never heard of Prazi so I checked out the link you sent to me. Then I watched a Youtube video of an application of Prazi. She said it is hard to mix with water, plus you have to figure out how much to add to your tank. So if I have a 20 Gallon tank, how much do I add?

Also I seen something called PraziPro sold on Dr's Foster and Smith online pet supply store. It is liquid in a bottle and it says to add 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons and you don't have to try to figure out how to measure it out or mix it. Could I use this product? Or is Prazi in the powdered form better?

I read on a different site that you can add Prazi once with no water changes and that's it, and it says you may do another treatment in 4 or 5 days. (Those were for pond applications)So why do I have to do all those changes for 30 days in your time table? I am not trying to be sassy, or contradict your suggestions, I am just confused as to reading different ways to treat with prazi....Just never had to medicate my fish before.

Thank you for your info! I appreciate it greatly :)

FIVE DAY ROUNDS

I never heard of Prazi so I checked out the link you sent to me. Then I watched a Youtube video of an application of Prazi. She said it is hard to mix with water, plus you have to figure out how much to add to your tank. So if I have a 20 Gallon tank, how much do I add?

Also I seen something called PraziPro sold on Dr's Foster and Smith online pet supply store. It is liquid in a bottle and it says to add 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons and you don't have to try to figure out how to measure it out or mix it. Could I use this product? Or is Prazi in the powdered form better?

I read on a different site that you can add Prazi once with no water changes and that's it, and it says you may do another treatment in 4 or 5 days. (Those were for pond applications)So why do I have to do all those changes for 30 days in your time table? I am not trying to be sassy, or contradict your suggestions, I am just confused as to reading different ways to treat with prazi....Just never had to medicate my fish before.

Powdered prazi can be difficult to mix with water, prazipro is a liquid form so it is not difficult. Either on works just fine.

The extra water changes in our schedule are primarily to reduce the pathogen load in the water. Prazi is active for 3 days, after that it degrades on its own. Flukes have several stages in their lifestyle, one of which is a cystic stage in which they may be in the gravel (so vacuuming during water changes is important) and another in which they are free swimming, so water changes themselves are important to reduce the parasite load in the tank.

Multiple rounds of prazi are recommended the first time you treat (as you see outlined above) because flukes can be difficult to fully get rid of. Subsequent treatments (people often treat every 6 mos to a year) are only recommended to be 1-2 rounds unless you see symptoms. Subsequent treatment rounds are recommended because flukes can exist at a subclinical level despite treatment - it is difficult to fully get rid of them, but in a fish with a healthy immune system they will generally be controlled to the point where you don't see obvious symptoms or effects on health.

There are lots of different ways to do everything with fishkeeping ;) doesn't necessarily mean one is better than another, but this is the way we have found it to work best here.

I love the name of your adorable fish. Very cute.

I hope his treatment goes well.

quick question, in the bottom pic of your fish, there is a black dot on the dorsal fin, is that a pin hole in the fin or just a trick of the camera?

quick question, in the bottom pic of your fish, there is a black dot on the dorsal fin, is that a pin hole in the fin or just a trick of the camera?

Yes that is a pin hole in his fin. I said that about the hole right above the picture, oops you probably missed it. ;) By the way thank you for explaining things so I could understand things better :)

Yes that is a pin hole in his fin. I said that about the hole right above the picture, oops you probably missed it. ;) By the way thank you for explaining things so I could understand things better :)

Sorry, I did miss that!

pin holes in the fins can be caused by a particular microbe. It can be treated by raising salt to .3%, so I would go ahead and start this until you get the prazi.

To raise salt you will need salt that contains no additives or anti caking agents (mortons canning and pickling salt is a popular cheap one that is usually easy to find).

You are going to dissolve the salt in water before adding it to the tank. In order to get to .3% you will want to add 3/4 tablespoon of salt per gallon if you are using a fine grain salt like the mortons, or 1 tablespoon per gallon if you are using a coarse grain salt like aquarium salt (I don't recommend aquarium salt because it is expensive). If you have a kitchen scale you can actually weigh it out for a more exact measurement at 3 grams per liter for .3%. When you do your water changes you need to replace the salt you took out. So, if you do a 50% water change, replace 50% of the salt.

Here is an article on salt if you are interested http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

Ok thanks for the info and the links :thumb:

FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Aqua Prazi powder from Goldfish Connection is what I use. It is 100% praziquantel. It isn't water soluble, so you need to add a TINY amount of ethanol/vodka - just enough to make it dissolve. I did this using a small eyedropper filled halfway. It turns into a milky white solution. Then, you can add water, and the praziquantel will be fully dissolved.

The dosage is 0.1g per 10 gallons. I just finished my QT with it. I weighed out each day's dosage in separate little baggies ahead of time, and added the vodka followed by water directly to the bag immediately prior to use. I was doing a 100% water change every day in a 10-gallon tank.

Edited by *Amanda*

Thank you Amanda for the trick to make it dissolve!

how's your fish doing, hun?

Thanks for asking ;) He is doing great still. The hole that was on his top fin is gone now! :D

Yay! that's awesome! are you still waiting on prazi at this point?

Yes I am still waiting to get it, I can't buy Prazi till the beginning of next month.

great news :) i would love a photo update when you can :)

I'm glad your fish is still doing good.

great news :) i would love a photo update when you can :)

Picture of Dreamsicle I took today :)

9d13ecd9-1507-40e6-a006-f97274b89ef3.jpg

FIVE DAY ROUNDS

OK my Prazi arrived today! What is the salt concentration supposed to be for the treatment with the Prazi? And how much salt to add for a 20 gallon tank?