Sign in to follow this  
Kulukan

Stock tank ponds in the desert.

I went to look at stock tanks today and the farm supply workers were all pretty discouraging. We have about 3 months in the summer here that the day time temperature stays above 100.

I am looking at the 6' round tanks and wondering if anyone has experience with temperatures like this. The pond would be in the shade.

Shakaho would probably be a great source of information. I'm sure that she'll be along soon. :)

Full shade, sink the tank into the ground a foot or so, insulate your filter, and use evaporative cooling. A fountain with it's uptake near the surface can provide some cooling. One of those misting sprayers can cool the air around the pond. Water lilies and floating plants can further protect the fish. Aerate in hot weather.

Ideally, you would have a deep in-ground pond to control temperatures, but you still would want to use some of the cooling techniques.

Hmmm. OK. I'll see about convincing the boyfriend to help me dig a bit. The other stuff is totally doable.

Would a lighter colored tank help too? Or make no difference because it's already in the shade?

I've been wondering about one in Texas, too. I think my yard is on solid rock, so I'm not sure I can dig for one.

If you do manage to dig, making sure to have a very deep section of the pond would go a long way for giving the fish shelter, especially when combined with shade and other cooling techniques! I think DieselPower's pond goes to 5 foot deep in one spot, for example, and that insulates it from fully freezing in the winter. The reverse should prove true with heat, thanks to the ground's natural insulating factors.

You are going to have to do some digging to level the tank, (the alternative is to so you might as well sink it a bit. You can insulate the exposed sides by wrapping the sides with insulation batting, but this must be completely enclosed in plastic to keep water out. Wet insulation doesn't insulate.

You can also haul in some soil to bank against the sides to provide some insulation. The problem with this is that it makes the pond easy for terrestrial predators. One of the advantages of a on-ground stock tank is that it is nearly impossible for a terrestrial predator to fish from that narrow edge. Even a raccoon can't balance on the side and have its "hands" free to fish with.

By the way, filter building is a lot easier now. Virtually everyone uses uniseals to put pipes through a barrel or stock tank. These can be installed in a few minutes and require no sealant. You could build a filter like what you made before (only using a 55 gallon drum) in a couple of hours using uniseals.

You are going to have to do some digging to level the tank, (the alternative is to so you might as well sink it a bit. You can insulate the exposed sides by wrapping the sides with insulation batting, but this must be completely enclosed in plastic to keep water out. Wet insulation doesn't insulate.

You can also haul in some soil to bank against the sides to provide some insulation. The problem with this is that it makes the pond easy for terrestrial predators. One of the advantages of a on-ground stock tank is that it is nearly impossible for a terrestrial predator to fish from that narrow edge. Even a raccoon can't balance on the side and have its "hands" free to fish with.

By the way, filter building is a lot easier now. Virtually everyone uses uniseals to put pipes through a barrel or stock tank. These can be installed in a few minutes and require no sealant. You could build a filter like what you made before (only using a 55 gallon drum) in a couple of hours using uniseals.

Thanks again for your help :) I just called a local koi pond place and they use plastic stock tanks to house their fish in full shade. I have enlisted the roommate to help dig it a foot down and we were planning on building it into the retaining wall border garden thing so I'm sure I can pack some extra dirt around it too. It is going to be built into a bit of a corner so I will have to find a way to do the filter that looks good and is still accessable. Are those seals only available online or do they have them in stores like Home Depot? I might see if my boyfriend can rig up a hose attachment to the filter too so that water changes can be used to water the plants.

One thing that would look good is to build a container bog filter from a stock tank. You can fill this with plants and it will look beautiful.

Uniseals are usually only available on line, although you may be able to find them at a pond store (at a greatly inflated price, of course). They are cheap and ship fast. Some people get them from Amazon, but unless the shipping from the link I gave you (the manufacturer) is very high, Amazon is much more expensive. I keep some of every size on hand since I use a lot of them. You can see here how I use them.

It's very easy to connect a hose to a dump valve. Just go to the plumbing department. Pick up the valve you are using and tell the salesperson "I need to attach this to a garden hose." I have learned to never ask for a plumbing part by name (there are multiple names for everything) or try to explain what I want to do. "How do I connect this to this?" with the objects in your hands always works if they have the parts.